Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 13,321 times

Advertisements

Wondering whether animal control in College Park actively pursues loose cats in neighborhoods? Our cats were indoor/outdoor where we came from, but the animal control only came around if someone trapped a cat, so they were safe. I am curious if it's the same here or if we run the risk of them being caught.
They are pretty sad to be indoors, I think they have a bit of kitty depression.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM

148 posts, read 369,860 times
Personally, I'd recommend that you keep them indoors. Too many risks to let them out -- getting hit by cars, attacked by other animals, finding something poisonous, or getting picked up by animal control or someone else.

Put a cat tree by a window and hang a bird feeder outside. That will keep them entertained for quite a while!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM

They are already indoor/outdoor... I know the risks associated with letting them out, but no amount of bird-watching will replace the real deal.
I'm really just curious about whether or not College Park's animal control actually goes around looking for animals.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM

169 posts, read 299,937 times
Are you familiar with the term "feral cats"? Lots of them start out as someone's indoor/outdoor cats.
I don't like the feral ones as they destroy all wildlife in an area but someone's pet running around does keep rodent population in check.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times
I see cats out and about in my neighborhood. I haven't noticed furtive glances, disguises or other signs of being hunted. Seriously, though, Animal Control's website says they are mostly funded by donations. I'd ask some neighbors and make sure the kitties are collared and chipped. My guess is that DC-area metros have their hands full with human control.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Thanks, jBPisgah, that's exactly what I needed to know!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieN View Post
Thanks, jBPisgah, that's exactly what I needed to know!
Hmmm...I don't what to overstate what I know, since my cat is inside and I've only lived here three weeks. My impression of CP tells me no problemo, and I do see cats out and about. I would talk to your neighbors to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland