Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
Well I believe that there is no denying it. As cost of living goes up all across the DC area, many white residents will start to move into PG County. Who knows… 10, 20 years from now, PG may become more diverse than it is now. When you think about it, PG has a more robust infrastructure, more commuter routes, and more METRO, Amtrak, and MARC stops. Not to mention that cost of living is slightly lower compared to the other surrounding counties in DC area. Younger crowd who are more culturally tolerate and were not around during the white flight of the 70s and 80s will start to move in and settle in this area.
This is already happening in DC despite the prices. I imagine when PG focuses on more walkable nodes with the same amenities DC has as far as simply things to do, then you will see a transformation. Commuting distance as it stands now is not that bad. In fact it's a lot better than NoVa, it's just that PG is boring as hell for a young person. And College Park is a disgrace to all college towns across America.

http://www.nextgenjournal.com/2012/0...college-towns/

Quote:
College Park, Maryland – Home to University of Maryland

Crime has been reported to be a major problem in College Park, and a lack of development initiatives has raised a lot of public anger in the area. Ever since the closing of the infamous bar “Thirsty Turtle,” the quality of the nightlife at the University of Maryland has significantly diminished. There are frequent bar riots, and since the town can be quite dangerous at night, the university encourages sticking to the “buddy system” after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
There are several subdivisions in the Lanham area that are underrated but they are well-kept and nice-looking.
Which ones?

Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM

117 posts, read 234,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Which ones?

West Lanham area.
Woodlark community which is near Dr. Community Hospital.

The following areas are really nice in Lanham:
Cipriano Rd and Magnolia Dr.
Cipriano Rd Nightingale Dr.
Greenbelt Rd and Bay Wood Dr
Greenbelt Rd and Copernicus Dr

Anything in Goddard area of Lanham. Goddard Maryland is an unincorporated area in Lanham near NASA. It’s a nice community and people really keep up their yards. I noticed many new white and asian families moving in. Some homes are new and others are older, but are well kept.

I noticed many homes with new roofs installed, new driveways, new landscape, and well-kept lots.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Which ones?
Glenn Estates is one. Woodstream (community is across from Duval HS) is another. I believe Magnolia Springs is another (it's off Lanham-Severn Road). Another that looks well-kept is Braebrook, off Rt. 193 (at least I assume that is in Lanham; it is close to NASA). There is a very new community right near NASA, off 193. I don't remember the name.

I know people who lived in Woodstream and Glenn Estates.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,000 times
I live in Glenn Estates in Lanham-Seabrook. It's nice! I'm a bit baffled about why Lanham is as inexpensive as it appears to be. We have very easy access to almost everything, there's a decent amount of shopping and retail nearby, and the closest elementary school appears to be pretty decent (enough that my neighbors actually send their kids there). I guess Lanham has had some crime problems in the past and according to the crime reports I get, there's still quite a bit of nuisance petty crimes in the area, and I believe DuVal high school is really bad, at least last time I checked.

Also, I see very few white people in the development. There are definitely a few here and there but it's mostly AA, with Hispanic people and quite a few Asians for whatever reason. My husband and I are white but I think people look at us and assume we're hispanic because of our coloring. Either way, I could not possibly care less. I like my house, I like my neighbors, and I have no problem if white people never show up. People on this board act like white people are magic. As for me, I grew up in the land of ATVs, rampant obesity, confederate flags, and people wearing camo wherever I went, so really the magic is gone.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM

117 posts, read 234,285 times
I live in the woodlark community in Lanham. As far as I know several white families send thier kids to magnolia elementary school located within the neighborhood. Rosevelt high school is nearest to me and the assign school for this area. It's a magnet highschool and one of the best in the county.

Lanham is odd because it includes area like the woodmore town center that is two exits down from where I live, yet it has the same zip ode. I looked at the map and it seems Lanham is chopped up and scattered.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I live in Glenn Estates in Lanham-Seabrook. It's nice! I'm a bit baffled about why Lanham is as inexpensive as it appears to be. We have very easy access to almost everything, there's a decent amount of shopping and retail nearby, and the closest elementary school appears to be pretty decent (enough that my neighbors actually send their kids there). I guess Lanham has had some crime problems in the past and according to the crime reports I get, there's still quite a bit of nuisance petty crimes in the area, and I believe DuVal high school is really bad, at least last time I checked.

Also, I see very few white people in the development. There are definitely a few here and there but it's mostly AA, with Hispanic people and quite a few Asians for whatever reason. My husband and I are white but I think people look at us and assume we're hispanic because of our coloring. Either way, I could not possibly care less. I like my house, I like my neighbors, and I have no problem if white people never show up. People on this board act like white people are magic. As for me, I grew up in the land of ATVs, rampant obesity, confederate flags, and people wearing camo wherever I went, so really the magic is gone.
Lol! Too funny!

I'm glad you enjoy it there. I remember seeing that subdivision under construction. It's holding up very well, and it is in a great location.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times
@dropping_k & @bowian, thanks for the responses. This will definitely help me as I continue my search for a home

Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
I had a client in the Woodstream Development. I would see white families at the pool, walking their dog in the evening. It is a very nice development. That area is zones to DuVal HS which is across the street. Im not sure if they sent their families to that school or not. But I have seen white families in the nieghborhood.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
Homes are just so expensive in Montgomery County, its ridiculous. One has to go to Frederick or take a look at Prince Georges. To me, long term, it just makes sense that families will look at PG and they won’t be older white people. The area is close to DC and Virginia with Metro. As more amenities come into the county, families will look to emerging areas that were predominantly home to African Americans. I feel the same way for office tenants but that is another discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland