Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times

Advertisements

PG's public schools are even more uniformly black than the general population is. If you have any children, they would be VERY out of place socially in any public school and you would be advised to use private schools. Car insurance is also higher throughout PGC. PGC suffers from having very little business tax base, as there is very little private industry / employers as compared with all the other area suburban counties, therefore PGC has to raise its revenue through income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Those Black Dominated towns like Oxon Hill, District Heights, Marlow Heights, etc. are the towns I am talking about. Middle Class and very inexpensive. But would a white man be accepted, that is my question.
What is your price range because I agree with MissingAtlanta, with Accokeek and Fort Washington being good options. There are some inexpensive places there as well. I grew up in both places and they both have had times of having a diverse population and even now they do. Fort Washington definitely had it's time of being almost completely black, but it's far from that now.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 7,701 times
I don't know what what a black family would have to draw the line at before moving into a 90% black neighborhood but they probably wouldn't find out until a year or so later. I would say the same would be true with a white neighborhood anywhere. I have moved into white neighborhoods and didn't like some of the elements there. I don't think you can pin it on color as much as you can the social fabric of the people living there.
If you are white/Asian and don't want to live around black people I would suggest not moving to one of these areas; maybe PGC in general unless you can find a neighborhood you imagine yourself in. Towns such as Hyattsville, CP, Takoma and others are thrown around quite a bit on this site. Read through them and find one you want to look at. I would gravitate more to the eastern side of the inner beltway more than the south side if you want a more diverse setting.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
You will be very frustrated if you like any of the following activities, which are almost non-existent in PGC
country music
square or contra dancing
Celtic (Irish) music
classical music
polka music
polo playing
lacrosse playing
bluegrass music
antique/classic car shows (although Upper Marlboro does have one)
antique shops
barbershop quartet singing

Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
You will be very frustrated if you like any of the following activities, which are almost non-existent in PGC
country music
square or contra dancing
Celtic (Irish) music
classical music
polka music
polo playing
lacrosse playing
bluegrass music
antique shops
Although I agree with most of what you have listed, PGC does have polo teams, lacrosse and antique shops.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM

575 posts, read 554,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
country music
square or contra dancing
Celtic (Irish) music
classical music
polka music
polo playing
lacrosse playing
bluegrass music
antique shops
The demographics don't support most of the stuff that you've listed. But there is lacrosse up in PG, heck there is lacrosse EVERYWHERE in Maryland; it's like the most popular sport in the state.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
The demographics don't support most of the stuff that you've listed. But there is lacrosse up in PG, heck there is lacrosse EVERYWHERE in Maryland; it's like the most popular sport in the state.
Baltimore city too. Plenty of black kids on the bus with lax sticks.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM

35 posts, read 86,126 times
Is this a serious question? Or some sort of mini social experiment?

The problem with the neighborhoods isn't always the middle aged or older citizens. Its usually the heathen youth that run around unchecked ages 7 to 25, the ones causing all of the crime. Most of the white people that moved into predominately black neighborhoods such as kentland for example often moved out after a few months. Some were the targets of property crime vandalisms, burglaries, etc. I don't think any of them were robbed or assaulted, then again, some of these neighborhoods NOBODY walks around at night in, and if they do, they usually have a large dog, baseball bat or pepper spray. I met some immigrants that came from eastern europe to escape Bosnia and they told me it was worse in kentland than in their home country? Lmao. You'll see people who move to the area to find low cost housing for a few months because they got hired in firefighting jobs in DC or something, and often move whenever they get the chance. I know there's a white guy that used to live in Morningside and flew a marine corps flag in his front yard, an older guy. Someone said that an idiot broke into his house some years back, and he shot them, and he hadn't had problems since (im not sure how true that is).

The majority of the residents in the low income black communities are very good people and nice for the most part, the ones who are homeowners. The section 8 crowd seems to be nasty no matter where you go, and no matter what the race is. It could be a trailer park in Calvert County, or low income apartments in Barry Farms.

My personal belief is that the predominately black communities would benefit from having a more diverse population. The median income would increase and strides to improve the neighborhoods would be taken seriously, whereas over the years calls for improvements have largely been ignored. This is what your seeing with the whole "gentrification" thing going on in D.C. where you have the gays (for the most part white) moving in and getting pounded on, but because they are a special interest group, Cathy Lanier and MPDC is forced to actually do something about the crime for the first time in 30 years. Its the reason that property crimes like a burglary or theft in adams morgan has become news headlines over the shootings in SE. Mixing the neighborhoods would improve the schools as well. While at first the new kids would be slightly out of place, the entire community would benefit from growing up in a diverse enviroment, and it would enable them to compete on the national level, whereas segregation shortchanges todays youth because todays job enviroments and workforce is not segregated.

I think creating diversity in these predominately black lower income neighborhoods would also improve the court system as well as the police department. Police service would improve in those areas where traditionally in the past police turned a blind eye to crime for fear of complaints that were filed, lawsuits, etc. PGPD has a history of de policing, and the majority of the citizens in the lower income portions see the police as the enemy (citizens protesting traffic stops, stop and frisks, arrests, and generally filing complaints due to lack of education "he arrested me for nothing"), whereas citizens in the more affluent areas see police as servants the "I pay your salary mentality, you'll do as I say" Most municipalities fund their own police departments because they were sick of poor police service over the years. College Park for example is on the verge of hiring its own officers and terminating the county's contract for services.

I think that if the neighborhoods were more diverse, you'd see improvement in services from pepco when the power goes down, WSSC when a watermain breaks and when it snows, they would be more inclined to plow the neighborhood vs's leave it for last. Demands for better hospitals and fire department services would be met by the community forcing them to improve response times, improve the quality of healthcare at hospitals like PGHC and United Medical Center.

So increasing the diversity in these neighborhoods in my opinion would be a great improvement from the status quo.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,373 times
Quote:

classical music
Umm that one is also a big old lie. You won't hear classical music blaring from car windows, but that's true of pretty much any area. Some Prince George's middle school and high schools have orchestras as does the community college and UMCP. The county also has a philharmonic. GW Parkway and Clara Barton Parkway will take you to the Kennedy Center, but so will Suitland Parkway. WGMS also comes in loud and clear on the radio as well. Let's stop assuming that presumed "white" interest activities that you or others may not be aware because it doesn't get as much publicity as say a car jacking don't exist in Prince George's because it's c. 65% African American.

Last edited by Lubina; 09-17-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 PM

35 posts, read 86,126 times
While its "65% african american" the reality is that its very segregated. To say that it isn't would be a lie. Its also a misconception that certain demographics don't listen to certain types of music would be a lie. Now im not saying that filipinos are showing up at an Alan Jackson concert in droves, or that white people are going to lil wayne concerts en masse, or that black people are showing up at marilyn Manson concerts by the numbers. But to say that EVERYONE listens to something or you wont find that group of people who finds a certain sport or that a certain small number of any race/demographic wont listen to a certain type of music is ridiculous. Your always going to have that small number of people who listen to things that the majority doesn't listen to.

Now, like the guy said, your not going to go to Landover and find Ozzy Osbourne blaring from the speakers of cars on every block. Your not going to hear Alan Jackson on Hilmar Drive and its not likely that you will go to seat pleasant and hear the 1812 overture being played during seat pleasant day on the speakers. Lmao.

Are there stereotypes? Yes. However, the majority of the black community isn't listening to gangsta rap, shooting hoops and street gambling. There are alot of people who listen to R&B, hip hop, rap, gospel, jazz, you name it. The outside perception might be what people think, and then there's what people actually do in their daily lives. And yes, you can find people of all races attending ozzfest, for the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland