Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM

16 posts, read 128,713 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to DC area from Seattle mainly because of the weather, and have been researching about different areas outside of DC where we can afford to buy a house. Here is some info about us and what we are looking for:

1. We will work in Annapolis Junction, MD
2. Would like to pay for a house no more than 600k
3. Looking for a very safe area (very important)
4. Commute no longer than 1 hour (obviously preferable shorter commute)
5. Live in suburb-type area with a bigger yard and neighbors houses more than a few feet away from our house
6. Still be within 1 hour from DC
7. We don’t have kids but planning to have in the future, so the area should have good schools as well
8. Don’t end up in black only communities (I found a few decent cities (Upper Marlboro and Bowies) with really nice affordable houses but seems like most population there is black and we don’t want to be a minority there)

Does a place like we are looking for exist near DC? We don’t really care if we live in MD or VA. I found a few places, Dunkirk, MD and Owings, MD, that seem to satisfy our requirements but we have never been there and know nothing about traffic, general area, etc.

If someone from NOVA or MD area could give us any tips, I would really appreciate it!

Also, if it happens that someone just recently moved from Seattle to DC or vice versa and can share his thoughts/regrets/positive things about the move, you would definitely make my day as I am so confused about this decision.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
Look at Ellicott City, with EC have some of the best schools in the state. Also Odenton, where many of your co-workers will live. The newer homes tend to have the smaller yard, but most $600K homes have some yard.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,441,275 times
Plenty of options for you at that price point. Don't commute from VA if you don't have to. For newer construction check out Odenton and Piney Orchard. I'd also check out Severna Park and Arnold.

I've lived in Seattle but not in its suburbs, and similiarly, I've never lived in any suburbs here, so I don't know how they compare to each other. You can expect both much HOTTER and COLDER weather. Goodbye, mild.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM

I just noticed that Money magazine ranked the Ellicott City/ Columbia area #8 in it's latest 100 Best Places to Live. The area has plenty of recreational opportunities, and decent schools. It is very diverse with well educated people from all over the world, but you won't be a minority.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will check those places out. The main reason why I don't mind living far from work is that we have an option to work from home and are only required to go to the office a few days per week. Ideally, I would like to live closer to DC so it would be relatively easy to go there ( I feel like if we live too far away from DC, we will almost never end up going there). I feel like we are trying to find a happy middle - to have a bigger yard and have a privacy but at the same time to be close to everything that city has to offer (restaurants, gym, healthy grocery stores, etc).

I lived on the East Cost before and the hot/cold weather is okay with us. I actually prefer it over the rainy cloudy weather in Seattle. However, one thing that worries me about DC is that it has tons of mosquitoes, ticks, etc...

Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM

777 posts, read 1,862,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terx101 View Post
...one thing that worries me about DC is that it has tons of mosquitoes, ticks, etc...
and stink bugs

Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terx101 View Post
I feel like we are trying to find a happy middle - to have a bigger yard and have a privacy but at the same time to be close to everything that city has to offer (restaurants, gym, healthy grocery stores, etc)...... However, one thing that worries me about DC is that it has tons of mosquitoes, ticks, etc...
For closer suburbs, you might check out northern parts of Silver Spring (20904, 20906), Olney, Cloverly or Calverton. If you go much closer in, you will find 1/6 acre lots and mostly older homes, unless you want to spend $1 million or more. If you want to be closer the a Metro stop, you might look at Rockville or Bethesda, but then you're more likely to find a luxury townhouse or older house/small yard. You have to prioritize what you want.

Yes there are ticks and mosquitoes which come with a warm humid summer, and they will find you if you hike in woods. Look for a house with a screened porch.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM

764 posts, read 1,648,383 times
We lived in North Seattle and Kenmore (97-04) and Ellicott City (08-12). Sister in-law and family lived on Vashon Island (2000-10) and moved to DC (2 years in the city and now in Manatu VA).

A lot of the newer suburb development in Howard County are going to be like Issaquah Highlands. Older suburbs are going to be like Kirkland or Bellevue (80s, 90s homes, but still pricy). Columbia reminds me of Lake Forest Park/Shoreline (60s/70s/80s). "Most" (not all) newer developments are either extremes - no lot or 1+ acre, but you can find some "older" updated 1990s/2000s home with 1/2-3/4 acre.

You can't go wrong with Howard County - the schools are great and your price range will get you the space you want. Your commute would be great - Clarksville, Dayton would be good starting points. Lots of folks in EC commute to Fort Meade and it's 15-20 min). We could get to the Kennedy Center in 40 minutes for a Sunday 1pm show. On Sat AM it's about 30-35 minutes to the Mall. Going to Georgetown on Friday at 6pm it once took use a little over 2 hours. The greenbelt metro station is about 15 min (or so) from I95/MD32 and that get's you all over DC.

Mosquitoes and ticks - to be honest I never noticed the difference. They were in the backyards in Kenmore and Vashon, they were in my backyard in EC. (I thought the mosquitoes were the WORST in Atlanta.)

Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
For closer suburbs, you might check out northern parts of Silver Spring (20904, 20906), Olney, Cloverly or Calverton. If you go much closer in, you will find 1/6 acre lots and mostly older homes, unless you want to spend $1 million or more. If you want to be closer the a Metro stop, you might look at Rockville or Bethesda, but then you're more likely to find a luxury townhouse or older house/small yard. You have to prioritize what you want.

Yes there are ticks and mosquitoes which come with a warm humid summer, and they will find you if you hike in woods. Look for a house with a screened porch.
Thanks for the suggestions! We definitely cannot afford a million $ house just yet so you are right, I should prioritize and see what's more important to us.
I remember I looked at houses in Bethesda, and while I really liked the area, the houses were extremely expensive. Just like you said, for 600k I could only find a townhouse or a house that I would not want to buy...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
We lived in North Seattle and Kenmore (97-04) and Ellicott City (08-12). Sister in-law and family lived on Vashon Island (2000-10) and moved to DC (2 years in the city and now in Manatu VA).

A lot of the newer suburb development in Howard County are going to be like Issaquah Highlands. Older suburbs are going to be like Kirkland or Bellevue (80s, 90s homes, but still pricy). Columbia reminds me of Lake Forest Park/Shoreline (60s/70s/80s). "Most" (not all) newer developments are either extremes - no lot or 1+ acre, but you can find some "older" updated 1990s/2000s home with 1/2-3/4 acre.

You can't go wrong with Howard County - the schools are great and your price range will get you the space you want. Your commute would be great - Clarksville, Dayton would be good starting points. Lots of folks in EC commute to Fort Meade and it's 15-20 min). We could get to the Kennedy Center in 40 minutes for a Sunday 1pm show. On Sat AM it's about 30-35 minutes to the Mall. Going to Georgetown on Friday at 6pm it once took use a little over 2 hours. The greenbelt metro station is about 15 min (or so) from I95/MD32 and that get's you all over DC.

Mosquitoes and ticks - to be honest I never noticed the difference. They were in the backyards in Kenmore and Vashon, they were in my backyard in EC. (I thought the mosquitoes were the WORST in Atlanta.)
Thanks for your reply. I am glad that someone here used to live in NW
I haven't looked at this county yet, but I am going to do some research tonight. Sounds like something we are looking for but I would need to look at the houses, etc. I might have some questions tonight as I do more research if you dont mind.

So, could you share your experience of living in both places (NW vs DC area)? Are you happy with your move? or do you wish you would have stayed in the Puget Sound area instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland