U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,402 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi eevryone,
My wife and I are both 33 without children (for now) and we're new (going to be) to Silver Spring. Here's the situation: we live in the New York City metro area now, and we're transferring our lease to the Veridian building on East-West hwy near the red line station. I just accepted a promotion in Owings Mills, MD and my wife transferred to DC. Also, after we rent a bit, what is the realty market like in this area? Our rent is $3,000, is real estate doable in this area using that payment as a benchmark?
I know the commute from Silver Spring to Owings Mills is going to be tough. How tough though? Is anyone familiar with this drive? Are there tricks to a avoiding some traffic? My wife's commute on the red line into DC is most important, so I took on the longer commute.
We've visited the area quite a bit, but I'm sure there are things we need to know. Any tips? Just looking for any information about the area and commute I suppose, but all info is greatly appreciated.
Thx so much all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
 
1,698 posts, read 1,726,594 times
Reputation: 767
The Veridian is a nice building, but 3k seems really high to me, even for Silver Spring... I could be wrong, I suppose...

My husband occasionally drives to Lutherville from pretty much where you live in Silver Spring... he says it takes him an hour and it's sort of a reverse commute. However, my husband prefers to work a 7-3:30 shift so he usually misses a lot of traffic. What is your wife's stop on the red line? Maybe you guys could consider living along the Amtrak line closer to Baltimore and she could take the train into Union Station... I don't know, that's a tough situation. It may be better to make sure that one person has a short commute because that'll make life easier if and when you have kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,697,423 times
Reputation: 416
1. $3k is quite doable, you might be able to find something cheaper than that I think.

2. SS to Owing Mills will be long in the sense of distance, not so much traffic as most of it will be going into the direction of DC (in the am) not out of it until the PM. You will encounter traffic lights along 29 but there will be less of it as further North as you go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
12,764 posts, read 24,350,180 times
Reputation: 6369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis7280 View Post
I know the commute from Silver Spring to Owings Mills is going to be tough. How tough though? Is anyone familiar with this drive? Are there tricks to a avoiding some traffic?
I listened to both the DC and Baltimore radio stations with traffic reports. If the Baltimore Beltway is bad, I took back roads. For example, 29 north to 99, thru the Patapsco Park to Dogwood Road, then Rolling Road to Liberty Road west, then McDonough Road and Painters Mill to Owings Mills.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,095 posts, read 22,348,404 times
Reputation: 6309
I know somebody that lives in that building and have been in it many times. It's very nice and a great location close to Downtown Silver Spring, but not right in the heart of it either. Metro is right around the corner.

The commute from there to Owings Mills would not be fun though. One thing to remember is that while most traffic is heading into silver spring during he AM, they use reversable lanes and there are only 2 lanes going out (four going in) in the AM so that can create delays.

Also, while the beltway is backed up going the other every single day, I would say at least one day a week the other side is backed up too. Then when you get up near Baltimore you will hit some nasty traffic up there along 70 or 695. I would say it would be a 45min at best to 1.5 hour commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM
 
1,244 posts, read 565,912 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis7280 View Post
Hi eevryone,
My wife and I are both 33 without children (for now) and we're new (going to be) to Silver Spring. Here's the situation: we live in the New York City metro area now, and we're transferring our lease to the Veridian building on East-West hwy near the red line station. I just accepted a promotion in Owings Mills, MD and my wife transferred to DC. Also, after we rent a bit, what is the realty market like in this area? Our rent is $3,000, is real estate doable in this area using that payment as a benchmark?
I know the commute from Silver Spring to Owings Mills is going to be tough. How tough though? Is anyone familiar with this drive? Are there tricks to a avoiding some traffic? My wife's commute on the red line into DC is most important, so I took on the longer commute.
We've visited the area quite a bit, but I'm sure there are things we need to know. Any tips? Just looking for any information about the area and commute I suppose, but all info is greatly appreciated.
Thx so much all.
Not that tough, just pretty darn far, from Silver Spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,697,423 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Also, while the beltway is backed up going the other every single day, I would say at least one day a week the other side is backed up too. Then when you get up near Baltimore you will hit some nasty traffic up there along 70 or 695. I would say it would be a 45min at best to 1.5 hour commute.
Actually, when you exit 70 to 695N, the ramp narrows from 2 to 1 lane which can create delays.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Maryland
629 posts, read 910,432 times
Reputation: 181
You can get something fairly nice for $3000/month in this area, I would think. That seems high for an apartment to me. You might be able to get a bit further north the 29/95 corridor and get a better commute for yourself without making your wife's unpleasant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta/DC
563 posts, read 2,681,744 times
Reputation: 296
For 3k/month you can get a HOUSE in the SS area...and still be off the red line for your wife's commute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
14,348 posts, read 8,641,213 times
Reputation: 22838
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I know somebody that lives in that building and have been in it many times. It's very nice and a great location close to Downtown Silver Spring, but not right in the heart of it either. Metro is right around the corner.

The commute from there to Owings Mills would not be fun though. One thing to remember is that while most traffic is heading into silver spring during he AM, they use reversable lanes and there are only 2 lanes going out (four going in) in the AM so that can create delays.

Also, while the beltway is backed up going the other every single day, I would say at least one day a week the other side is backed up too. Then when you get up near Baltimore you will hit some nasty traffic up there along 70 or 695. I would say it would be a 45min at best to 1.5 hour commute.

An hour and a half going against traffic? You really think so? In my opinion this really doesn't sound like such a bad commute given the alternative routes described earlier. But it will put miles on a car for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top