Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:04 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

These used to be very nice middle class communities, but are now overrun with illegal immigrants and the ghetto exodus from the District. And Montgomery County unfortunatly not only continues to encourage and reward illegal immigration to itself, but leads the movement to promote illegal immigration statewide like with the illegal alien Dream Act and giving in-county tuition to illegals at community colleges.

Silver Spring and Wheaton are both full of people now who are illegal, proud to be illegal, and refuse to learn English, or known English and refuse to speak it out of pride of their illegal status or a desire to show their contempt and hatred of American values and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
These used to be very nice middle class communities, but are now overrun with illegal immigrants and the ghetto exodus from the District. And Montgomery County unfortunatly not only continues to encourage and reward illegal immigration to itself, but leads the movement to promote illegal immigration statewide like with the illegal alien Dream Act and giving in-county tuition to illegals at community colleges.

Silver Spring and Wheaton are both full of people now who are illegal, proud to be illegal, and refuse to learn English, or known English and refuse to speak it out of pride of their illegal status or a desire to show their contempt and hatred of American values and culture.
If posts like this are an example of "American values and culture" I am right with the "illegals" in showing contempt towards it.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 AM

587 posts, read 1,410,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

This post is just pure comedy. Even if there are ghetto Black people from the District moving into MoCo, they definitely know how to act because everyone knows that the police run the show in MoCo and HoCo. Serious crime and the underground street economy based on hard drugs is much larger and more established on the east side of the beltway in NE/SE DC and bordering PG County. PG usually has more murders in the first month of the year, sometimes the first two weeks of the year, than Montgomery County has in an entire year.

Also, its not like "illegals" are taking jobs from blue-blooded White Americans in the DC Area. White folks in MoCo and NW DC have more money than they can count and are NOT working class as a group. White folks in MoCo are lobbyists, lawyers, higher paid government workers, higher paid corporate desk jockeys, engineers, scientists and other highly educated white collar professionals. All of those ditch digging, landscaping and cashier jobs at Dunkin Donuts are not needed by the elite class of rich White folks in MoCo or NW DC, genius. Somebody has to fix potholes in the road and someone needs serve you your coffee in the morning and someone needs to fix your burrito at Chipotle, and it is pretty much never a White person doing that in MoCo. Silver Spring is not some lower class largely White enclave like Lansdowne, Brooklyn or Pigtown in South Baltimore where those low-paid jobs would actually be needed to be filled by those of the Caucasian persuasion.

And unlike Langley Park and Hyattsville in PG, the heavily Hispanic areas of MoCo are not crime-ridden and gang-infested. Even those MS-13 members in MoCo know how to act because the Montgomery County police and court system does not play unlike PG County which is constantly inundated with serious criminal cases everyday of the year. There is undoubtedly much more scrutiny in MoCo in terms of crime and the police because it is largely upper middle class. MS-13 operates much more under the radar like the mafia in MoCo, whereas the gang acts much more openly violent and brash in PG County:

http://hyattsville.patch.com/article...rge-s-counties

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 12-26-2012 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Lantic Village,

One thing I love about not living in Montgomery COunty anymore (lived there 3 years in high school.....before that in Louisiana, after than in College Park for school and now Baltimore County) is that I can go to Popeyes or Taco Bell and they can understand me the first time. I can even substitute my drink at Popeyes for the cole slaw here and the high school or college kids working there understand me just fine. Maybe you realize that there was once a time when Americans probably held blue collar jobs in MoCo too? I am seeing the transition here in Baltimore area too. I have white friends who are in the construction and housekeeping businesses. The influx of illegal immigrants into this area has begun and is ramping up especially with the Dream Act. The illegal aliens drive down wages so that its no longer a living wage for a regular American born worker whether white or black. The illegals can live 30 to a house and that is still like a palace to them compared to the cardboard shacks they grew up in in Juarez. Construction companies that hire illegal aliens get all the bids since they can offer lower prices when they pay illegals under the table. I have friends who grew up in Gaithersburg all their life and they said there was a time when regular Americans mowed lawns and fixed roofs there too.

If you tell me you need illegal Mexicans to pick strawberries in California or work in a slaughterhouse in Kansas or in a feedlot in Texas i MIGHT believe you. But here in Maryland we do NOT need illegal immigrants. Americans ARE willing to clean houses and fix roofs just not as the prices the illegal aliens work at. I do not know why liberal Montgomery County continues to welcome illegals. And Montgomery County police ARE NOT TOUGH against them. There are so many liberal rules. They are not even allowed to check the immigration status of people they arrest. My parents are LEGAL Asian immigrants and I have no sympathy for illegal immigration, and for the tax hikes that they cause.

And no to me not every black person is ghetto. I actually knew a lot of country black people growing up in Louisiana, and there are many of those on the Eastern Shore here in Maryland. You also see some of that among some of the older African Americans in Baltimore and Baltimore County as well. They often have that hint of Southern gentility that is almost absent now from the DC area.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM

141 posts, read 234,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scinfaxi View Post
I'm sorry. I know the true definition of ghetto but it seems to be the most appropriate word that I could think of at the time.

Does, ghetto, to you= African American?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I'm not sure, what you are looking for here. What exactly is ghetto to you because by definition, as others have said, neither are considered ghetto. Not in the least bit. I would say if you wonder if there are some bad areas, that's one thing, but when you use the word ghetto, it just doesn't fit either of these places. If you want to see what a real ghetto looks like, you might want to try to go to the bad parts of Rio De Janeiro or some place like that and then compare the two. That would show you why nothing in the DC region comes close to resembling a ghetto.
Rio doesnt have ghettos it has favelas.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,718 times
Both Silver Spring and Wheaton have some areas you definitely have to be careful in at night and gangs are present along with some rowdy at times youth, but many areas are safe - just use standard precautions. During the day, you are safe almost everywhere you go. Downtown Silver Spring used to have a bad reputation 30 years ago, but it has improved greatly since. For the most part though, you will find it a nice place to live. Every year Silver Spring is becoming more city and less suburb and both the good and the bad of that are coming along with it, though I would say a lot more good than bad. Downtown Silver Spring is becoming densely populated and is virtually an extension of DC, in fact the part of DC is attached to is actually quieter than Silver Spring itself. Wheaton has some parts where you do have to watch your back especially at night, but it is generally a nice area. There is a large minority population and Wheaton Plaza can jokinly be called "The UN building" but the immigrant population is mostly harmless, hard working and very welcoming to "Americans." Summary, Silver Spring/Wheaton has shady areas, but nothing compared to DC or Baltimore.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
Silver Spring is about as far away from Ghetto as you can get. Wheaton isn't on the same level as Silver Spring, but it is becoming gentrified very rapidly.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM

87 posts, read 204,081 times
Default so is the glenmont metro station a bad one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
A lot of parts are, yes. I'm from Wheaton and most of it is indeed a ghetto, especially if Glenmont is included. Silver Spring is huge and has lots of nice areas but also has the worst areas of MoCo, the poor black areas near Takoma Park and DC.

Hi , we're exploring living areas in Aspen hill between Veirs hill and Georgia. This seems rather northwest of Wheaton but Glenmont seemed the closest metro. And it was a weekend but it looked good at the time.
May I ask what your thoughts are re Aspen hill/rockville mailing addresses and the Glenmont metro?
thanks
W.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 12,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scinfaxi View Post
Hello everyone

This is my second post but my first question about places. I am asking this because of curiosity. Anyways I would like to know if Silver Spring or Wheaton is considered ghetto. I actually live a few miles north of silver spring but I actually don't know the city very well so I'm just wondering. Thanks everyone
Depends who you ask. Ask anyone west of 270 and they probably wouldn't set foot in that area. But the locals all like it and do not consider it "ghetto"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland