Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:00 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,616,597 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Our son and his wife are relocating to Lexington Park, Maryland, in January. We are planning a trip to visit them in the spring. I was born in Washington, D.C., but I have been away for 50 years. I was interested in seeing my old home area in Glenmont and Silver Spring. I can see on the satelite map that my old house on Judson Road has been demolished and that Judson Road has apparently been widened.

My question is, how is the traffic on Georgia Avenue, or 97, near Randolph Road, or 183, and Judson road during the day? We will try to drive around the area during the least traffic hours of the day. Would 10:00 am to 3:00 pm be the best time? Is this area very congested? Is this area just poor and run down, or is it a gang area?

Any advice about driving around Glenmont, Wheaton, and Silver Spring will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM

969 posts, read 2,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
but I have been away for 50 years. I was interested in seeing my old home area in Glenmont and Silver Spring. I can see on the satelite map that my old house on Judson Road has been demolished and that Judson Road has apparently been widened.
I used to live on Clairidge Court near St Catherines Church - went to Kennedy High School when I grew up in Kemp Mill on Randolph Road (guess you went to Wheaton) and I used to hang out at the Glenmont Cue Club (pool hall).

I was just there recently to visit my Mom who lives off Georgia Ave in Leisure World - the traffic is AWFUL - little Randolph Road that used to wind through Wheaton Regional Park is now almost a super highway.

The entire Glenmont shopping center (I think Country Boy was still there) is all Hispanic and Oriental.

Welcome Home

Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 PM

198 posts, read 925,881 times
I would stick to 10a - 2p for the least congested hours. I'm sure the shopping areas look quite different, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised driving through the residential neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
I would stick to 10a - 2p for the least congested hours. I'm sure the shopping areas look quite different, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised driving through the residential neighborhood.
Where in Kensington?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:48 AM

Thanks so much. I was still in Glenmont School when we moved, but I think my older sister went to Wheaton. I see the old school buildings are still there but it is not a school any more. I expect things have changed quite a bit, but it will be fun to be home.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much. I was still in Glenmont School when we moved, but I think my older sister went to Wheaton. I see the old school buildings are still there but it is not a school any more. I expect things have changed quite a bit, but it will be fun to be home.

I went to Spring Mill on Kemp Mill Road for grade school - E Brooke Lee for Jr High (7,8,9) and JFK for High School - but actually Glenmont is where i spent my time

Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,241 times
Prepare yourself as I think the changes to the area will shock you, I have heard that from people who have been away only a few years. However, I don't think you will be in danger. Agree on 10-2 pm. If you have option to go on Sunday, I would do that (although traffic will begin to pick up in the afternoon).
Brookside Gardens is a nice place to relax and recover.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
Brookside Gardens is a nice place to relax and recover.
Old Randolph Road - and you can visit the ponies at Wheaton Park Stables.

BTW - take a Spanish class before you come back - you will need it.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Thanks to all for responding.

I will be interested to see the changes. I will be looking for anything familiar, but probably not much remains.

My folks moved to Washington for a job in the early 40s. They were living in a 1 bed apt. in DC with 3 kids and no other housing available in 1948 or 1949. Thousands of houses were built and sold on GI loans. They couldn't wait to buy there. It was a cool time. Everyone was happy and swarms of kids everywhere.

We can already speak a little Spanish, we need it here too.

Thanks for the tips about the ponies at the stables and Brookside Gardens. We used to ride at a stable nearby. It couldn't be the same one, could it? Maybe a Sunday will be better, depending on our other scheduling.

Again, thanks to all.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all for responding.

I will be interested to see the changes. I will be looking for anything familiar, but probably not much remains.
Sad but true.

But you can still go to:
Giffords Ice Cream & Candy Co. - Home

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland