Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 32,144 times

Advertisements

Hello-

We are moving to Andrews AFB and have 3 small kids (4, 2, and 1). We are moving from an extremely family friendly neighborhood in Dayton, OH. We would like to find a similiar community outside of DC. My wife is a stay-at-home Mom and would like to be active (parks, community activities, moms groups, etc.) I don't mind driving 50 min or so to commute. We have a budget of around $550K. Based on internet research we have narrowed it down to: Annapolis, Edgewater, Crofton, Dunkirk, Owings, Huntington (and their surround areas).

Does anyone have a recommendation based on the below expectations.

1) Things to do for a stay-at-home Mom with 3 young kids (groups, parks, finding friends, finding babysitters)
2) Community feel (festivals, youth sports) A nice night for us is sitting on the patio with friends enjoying a fire pit and a couple cocktails
3) Shopping and fine dinning within 20-30 min
4) A safe community
5) We are okay with "cookie cutter" houses if they come with an active, friendly community

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 PM

20 posts, read 41,696 times
I grew up and in AFB when I was younger and still go back there from time to time. As far as festivals, activities for the family, and a safe neighborhood are concerned you honestly don't need to look any further past the gates of AFB.

I spent my younger years (5 to 9) actually living on base. The base's youth center is absolutely AMAZING! They have sports teams for the kids (I was on the basketball team) as well as other activities such as plays.

Everything is within walking distance. If my sisters and I wanted ice cream, all we had to do was walk from my house (at night if wanted to; the base is the safest place to live) and walk to the Exchange market (BX).

The base also has a club as well which serves as both a bar in one side and a buffet dinning room on the other side of the building. From time to time the Base's library has book fairs where residents can come and check out a bunch of cool books on display.

As far as what you can do in PG, I'll have to let someone else inform you on that. Either way, AFB is a really great living area with nice people and wonderful service.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarsCorner View Post
I grew up and in AFB when I was younger and still go back there from time to time. As far as festivals, activities for the family, and a safe neighborhood are concerned you honestly don't need to look any further past the gates of AFB.

As far as what you can do in PG, I'll have to let someone else inform you on that. Either way, AFB is a really great living area with nice people and wonderful service.
I appreciate the response. We would really like to live off-base. We would rather own a home then rent on-base.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
What about North Beach and Chesapeake Beach? I think Crofton would definitely fit the bill for you, but it's a bit of a haul in my opinion.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
What about North Beach and Chesapeake Beach? I think Crofton would definitely fit the bill for you, but it's a bit of a haul in my opinion.
Can you tell me more about North Beach and Chesapeake Beach? Are there fun events for young families? Things to do for stay-at-home Moms? Parks?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:58 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carneyafqb5 View Post
Can you tell me more about North Beach and Chesapeake Beach? Are there fun events for young families? Things to do for stay-at-home Moms? Parks?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know much about either place, but I have heard good things. I went to one of the beaches years ago. Nice, attractive setting. Check these out:

Town of Chesapeake Beach (MD) - Home

Welcome to North Beach, MD

Chesapeake Beach, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Beach, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,797 times
We've lived in Dunkirk for almost 6 years now and we are getting ready to move back to Florida in December! We have a 6, 4 and 3 year olds Can't say enough about the schools and the early childhood centers. Although there are early childhood centers in Dunkirk, the best is Prime Time Children's Center in Owings, MD (about 10 minutes away). They more than prepared my son for kinder garden and are doing a fine job with my daughters. The elementary, middle school & high school are all rated 10 of 10 on greatschools.org, have high test scores and have extremely LOW reduced lunch rates. Its hard to find a town where all three public schools meets that criteria. We live 1/2 a mile from the Town Center and District Park and one of the supermarkets is open 'til 2400 hrs which has proven to be convenient. Its a very safe town with a very low crime rate. Commute to JBA is an easy 17 miles up route 4. We do spend a lot of time in Annapolis but appreciate the fact you can get away from the traffic and get back to the small town feel. Annapolis is great, but only if you can afford Private Schools. We have a great sitter that lives near by and although there are several churches in the area, from our experience, Cardinal Hickey (Catholic; K-8 private school) and Chesapeake Church (Christian non-denomination) have a tight knit group of people and we have established many friendships there. Nearest fine dining and malls are in Annapolis, about a 35 minute drive, but make sure you make it out to D.C. often as they have incredible restaurants.

Out of your choices, I would eliminate Crofton. Regarding Northern Calvert, I would try to look at an area where your children can attend Mt. Harmony Elementary. Owings and Huntingtown are fine locations but Dunkirk would be my first choice. Annapolis is great if you can afford private school. Instead of Edgewater, I would consider Riva, MD which is just SW of Annapolis and NW of Edgewater, but not sure how the schools are.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorx0 View Post
We've lived in Dunkirk for almost 6 years now and we are getting ready to move back to Florida in December! We have a 6, 4 and 3 year olds Can't say enough about the schools and the early childhood centers.....

Out of your choices, I would eliminate Crofton. Regarding Northern Calvert, I would try to look at an area where your children can attend Mt. Harmony Elementary. Owings and Huntingtown are fine locations but Dunkirk would be my first choice. Annapolis is great if you can afford private school. Instead of Edgewater, I would consider Riva, MD which is just SW of Annapolis and NW of Edgewater...
Great response. Thanks.

If you were to move back to the area and you were going to purchase a home, would you move to Annapolis or back to Dunkirk?

Do a lot of people use the parks in Dunkirk? What do people do for fun in the area? Do familes get together often or do people keep to themselves? Thank you for all your help.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
AF wife, originally from Centerville, OH and previously lived in Maryland for two different assignments. Of the cities you listed, the only one I'm familiar with is Crofton. And it is exactly what you are looking for. Although its been a few years since I've been there and I don't recall the commute time down to Andrews. My husband was stationed at Fort Meade so I'm more familiar with that area of Maryland. But Crofton is definitely stay at home mom, kid activities, suburbia. Think Centerville, Beavercreek; that is Crofton. We are moving back to the area next summer and Crofton is on our short list. Its a very popular area for Ft. Meade/NSA commuters as well so resale in that area will be terrific.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,524 times
We are also moving to Andrews. I am a reservist/stay at home mom with a soon to be kindergartener. OP-where did you end up living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland