Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:36 PM

304 posts, read 713,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Missed the whole point. Never suggested they were the same. The point went over your head.
But your initial statement was...

Quote:
So because alcohol and tobacco are legal, should we legalize heroin too?
What am I missing here? Sounds like you absolutely suggested they were the same. What other relevance would heroin have to do with the subject of legalizing MARIJUANA??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
But your initial statement was...

What am I missing here? Sounds like you absolutely suggested they were the same. What other relevance would heroin have to do with the subject of legalizing MARIJUANA??
But then I said

Quote:
I mean where would you stop? It's bad enough to have alcohol and tobacco but that in no way should justify legalizing more drugs.
Context

Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
To pgtitans... using your rationale as one example to defend the legalization of marijuana: WHY NOT? This is the exact same reasoning that people who want to give free passes to illegal aliens, give. I can't even begin to give an estimate on how many times I've seen people state that illegal aliens should be given incentive X-Y-Z ("Maryland Dream Act" anybody?) because two wrongs conveniently make a right in these cases. People who have argued that since ALL us Americans are illegal immigrants (nowhere near true) dating back to the sham that was Christopher Columbus, that means that 1500 years later, it's okay for illegals to be given free handout and do as they please. Using that as a basis, if we are going to blindly turn our eyes to alcohol and tobacco, why not blindly turn our eyes to legalizing marijuana??? It's the same principle. And between the three, only one has PROVEN scientific health benefits and that's marijuana. At least we'll be getting badly needed revenue via sales and taxes, not to mention how much money we'll save on the police man hours spent enforcing these absurd laws; the money saved from taking these cases to court; and more importantly how much money we're wasting jailing the convicted. And between the three, only one has PROVEN scientific health benefits and that's marijuana.

And as someone else pointed out, you might want to familiarize yourself with proper drugs and their names. "Heroin" IS NOT the same thing as "marijuana." One is a naturally raised plant that comes from the earth and the other is a man-made white power. Let's get our facts straight. It's just like "crack" is not the same thing as "cocaine," but trying to equate heroin to marijuana is much more erroneous.

All of the people that I know who smoke weed, have never done anything that would make me feel unsafe. Conversely, I have felt very unsafe around many people drunk as a skunk. You naysayers are brainwashed people who feed into this government conspiracy to try and demonize marijuana. I'm not sure what the government is getting from being fear mongers in this regard, but it makes no sense since there is no basis for it. And the fact that in 2012, we have MANY states which have tried to legalize marijuana in some form, gives credence to that.
Thank you for another one of your book reports. Bottom line, no matter how you want to slice it, it's a drug. How so, well let's define what a drug is:

Quote:
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.
Notice the definition made no mention of the substance being something other than a plant. Being a plant, doesn't negate the effects of it, which is why it is a drug. It impairs people.

I don't even understand how the illegal immigrant argument got thrown in there.

No need to be a simpleton, you and everyone else knows that I was suggesting that heroin was the same a weed. Who cares if many states have legalized this, does that make it right? If you really want to go that route 32 states have stated that gay marriage is wrong, do you agree with that? Didn't think so.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Slippery slope arguments are always specious. You probably also believe that because we legalized gay marriage, bigamy and incest are next.

No one has ever died of a pot overdoes (unlike alcohol). Heroin is inherently dangerous (like cocaine and meth), and pot is not.
You just used the slippery slope argument!!!!! You justified legalized weed because alcohol was already legal. Those ARE YOUR WORDS!!!! If you justification for passing this is because we have already legalized other drugs, then what would make any other drug any different? I'm just going by the logic that you stated.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,719 times
Quote:
You just used the slippery slope argument!!!!! You justified legalized weed because alcohol was already legal. Those ARE YOUR WORDS!!!! If you justification for passing this is because we have already legalized other drugs, then what would make any other drug any different? I'm just going by the logic that you stated.
That is not a slippery slope argument. I don't think you understand how slippery slope arguments work. They work when no corroborating facts are given. In my case, it's a comparison because marijuana is not dangerous (like tobacco), when another substance, that is clearly dangerous (alcohol) is legal.

I think you just like to post arguments and then yell about them without backing up anything you say. It's a common Republican problem, so I know you can't help it.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
I haven't heard any mention of it being discussed at the state level but I'd be for it. We lost the war on drugs long ago but don't want to admit it. But more importantly, for me its like this: legalize it, control it and tax it.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
That is not a slippery slope argument. I don't think you understand how slippery slope arguments work. They work when no corroborating facts are given. In my case, it's a comparison because marijuana is not dangerous (like tobacco), when another substance, that is clearly dangerous (alcohol) is legal.

I think you just like to post arguments and then yell about them without backing up anything you say. It's a common Republican problem, so I know you can't help it.
What's funny is you keep making these remarks and don't even know what you're talking about. I'm not a Republican and have never been one. Didn't even vote for Romney, imagine that, there goes your theory.

I know exactly what slippery slope is and the point was when you made your original statement you said:
Quote:
I certainly hope so. There's no reason for alcohol and tobacco to be legal and marijuana to be illegal. We spend way too much money prosecuting simple possession cases; not only could legalizing marijuana add tax revenue, it could save money on police/court time as well.
The only justification you made in this statement is because alcohol and tobacco is legal and it would save money/court time. My point was because your never distinguished marijuana as anything other than just another drug, the same arguments that you made for marijuana could be made for any other drug. You did not ORIGINALLY make any references to how dangerous a drug marijuana is or is not, so how does you making that statement hold any merit to what your originally said. I'm strictly referring to your original point, which again you used a slippery slope argument to defend why it should be legalized. There is no turning back now, you can't add points now, you made a very irresponsible statement that you are back pedaling to defend by adding more than you actually said.

As far as marijuana not being dangerous, that is very debatable. Like any other drug, abuse of it can make it dangerous and the danger of it would depend on the individual using it and what effects it has on them.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,719 times
Quote:
You did not ORIGINALLY make any references to how dangerous a drug marijuana is or is not,
And then I clarified in a follow up post, so what is your point?

Quote:
As far as marijuana not being dangerous, that is very debatable. Like any other drug, abuse of it can make it dangerous and the danger of it would depend on the individual using it and what effects it has on them.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM

97 posts, read 263,819 times
Quote:
Heroin is inherently dangerous (like cocaine and meth), and pot is not.
Please stop spreading mis-truths about responsible methamphetamine use...this is exactly the same tactic used by marijuana opponents in the past.

Use and availability of methamphetamine have remained unchanged for decades despite the vast government resources poured into the failed war on drugs; we are throwing away millions of dollars every year in potential law enforcement savings, tax revenues, and economic stimulation. regulating methamphetamine like alcohol (and now marijuana) will take it off the streets and make it more difficult for youth to access. You don't have to be a user to understand that methamphetamine prohibition is far more dangerous than methamphetamine itself.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
If you support pots legalization, then you're a pothead and you cannot equate weed to prohibition. That is a stupid/overused talking point.

Come up with something new.
I don't have to smoke pot (and I don't) to support it. Marijuana and alcohol prohibition are pretty parallel to each other but the result of banning marijuana isn't all too different from the banning of alcohol way back when. Read up the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland