Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 PM

20 posts, read 41,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
Weed has NO benefits. I don't know where you heard that a drug actually helps people.
So Medical Marijuana is a scam? Maybe it is maybe it isnt.. but what fact do you have that suggest that it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:40 PM

575 posts, read 554,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarsCorner View Post
So Medical Marijuana is a scam? Maybe it is maybe it isnt.. but what fact do you have that suggest that it is?
I cite that weed offers no TANGIBLE benefits aside from making people feel less pain.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM

I will agree with one thing though. Legalizing weed in CO will obviously make the gang trade of the drug useless and dead. That would be one less thing that contributes to growth of gang activity.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I will agree with one thing though. Legalizing weed in CO will obviously make the gang trade of the drug useless and dead. That would be one less thing that contributes to growth of gang activity.
Please! If people want something "free" they'll still get it "free". Gang activity will still use drugs.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Please! If people want something "free" they'll still get it "free". Gang activity will still use drugs.
I'm not talking about gangs getting weed free. I am speaking of regular folk having to BUY from gang or drug outlets because regular folk can now get it from the stores. Its just like back when the prohibition act was in place. People bought liquor from gangsters ONLY BECAUSE they couldn't get it anywhere else. Now that liquor is legal and sold in stores, who wants to buy it from some gang member or drug dealer?

At first those guys will still be in business, but slowly but shortly people will buy all their weed from store outlets.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about gangs getting weed free. I am speaking of regular folk having to BUY from gang or drug outlets because regular folk can now get it from the stores. Its just like back when the prohibition act was in place. People bought liquor from gangsters ONLY BECAUSE they couldn't get it anywhere else. Now that liquor is legal and sold in stores, who wants to buy it from some gang member or drug dealer?

At first those guys will still be in business, but slowly but shortly people will buy all their weed from store outlets.
Have proof of that because you can't compare this to prohibition.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Have proof of that because you can't compare this to prohibition.
Why not? Alcohol is sold at stores; hence, the majority of people buy them from stores and not a dealer.

Dealers do occasionally sell products even if they are sold in stores (electronics, shoes); however, even when they do sell these products the majority of people still buy their electronics from the store or from Footlocker.

Because weed is illegal it can only be bought from illegal "outputters". If weed were to become legal, this will open up a NEW option for buyers to get their weed from. After all, you can't always trust what some guy has put in the weed, but at least with a store you can SUE them if they sell you faulty merchandise.

Prohibition was a great and relevant example for this seeing as how alcohol is ALSO A DRUG (no matter what justifications someone tries to come up with). Do you see gangsters or dealers selling alcohol around the corner?

Of course not. It's better business for dealers to sell something that is illegal LIKE crack or meth. If weed becomes legal, the prices will probably be cut in half compared to what dealers sell today. People can also grow it themselves.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM

213 posts, read 403,881 times
Sorry InvaderBryce, but eventually (perhaps not in your lifetime or my lifetime, but eventually) marijuana will be as legal and available as alcohol. And it will be as controlled, regulated and taxed as alcohol.

And believe it or not, the sky will not fall. Our society will not crumble away and the Mexican and Columbian drug lords will not take over the land. In fact, it is likely that the huge amounts of cash they currently illegally get out of our country will be significantly diminished.

The majority votes to legalize possession of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado and Washington are just the first small steps in what will be a growing trend.

And the production of marijuana in the U.S. is already a major industry. By doing a Google search I was able to find some statistics for 2006. From 1981 to 2006, marijuana production in this country increased ten fold to an estimated value of $35.8 billion, more than corn and wheat combined. Pot is America's largest and most lucrative cash crop. All of this despite the government's drug war. The feds are far from in control of the situation.

Lest you brand me as some "degenerate pothead", I do not use pot. It's just like many others, I see the wave of the future here.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post
Sorry InvaderBryce, but eventually (perhaps not in your lifetime or my lifetime, but eventually) marijuana will be as legal and available as alcohol. And it will be as controlled, regulated and taxed as alcohol.

And believe it or not, the sky will not fall. Our society will not crumble away and the Mexican and Columbian drug lords will not take over the land. In fact, it is likely that the huge amounts of cash they currently illegally get out of our country will be significantly diminished.

The majority votes to legalize possession of marijuana for recreational use in Colorado and Washington are just the first small steps in what will be a growing trend.

And the production of marijuana in the U.S. is already a major industry. By doing a Google search I was able to find some statistics for 2006. From 1981 to 2006, marijuana production in this country increased ten fold to an estimated value of $35.8 billion, more than corn and wheat combined. Pot is America's largest and most lucrative cash crop. All of this despite the government's drug war. The feds are far from in control of the situation.

Lest you brand me as some "degenerate pothead", I do not use pot. It's just like many others, I see the wave of the future here.
And you're an idiot for believing that. The Gov't is in FULL control of the situation and the WoD is a necessary war which has helped keep drugs off the streets and out the schools. And as I've said before, the value of Pot is grossly overvalued.

Come correct with some better facts next time because I've heard this argument before.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Legalizing pot (aside from medical use) will result in three things:

1. Less $$$ in the pockets of dealers/cartels/gangs.
2. More tax $$$ for the state.
3. More widespread use by kids (due to lesser stigma). It may become as common as alcohol usage.

Since pot use impairs cognitive, intellectual and emotional development in kids, Governor O'Malley is correct in opposing its legalization. The downside of #3 outweighs the upside of #1/#2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland