Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Even with all that said, we are deflecting from the point that some how blacks aren't married to the Democratic party. Again I have no issue with someone that wants to support a particular party. I believe everyone is entitled to support who they want, but I still don't understand why people will vote for a party just because they don't want to support the other major party. What about people who are more of a reflection of their individual views than their party. Would black voters get behind someone like Chris Christie? He has some very liberal views on certain things, but I don't know if I could see him coming to a place like PG and he get support. I mean people would immediately look at his skin color and the letter on the end of his name (although that might change given the backlash he has received) and just assume that his views didn't line up with theirs. Just like Democrats there are some Republicans that do not reflect their parties main views.

There is simply no reason that at the local level at least PG and even MoCo don't have a more robust political culture between the two parties or any two parties for that matter.

Taxation, schools and crime are bread and butter local issues which tend to be seperate from federal elections. The President isn't going to decide PG's proerty tax rates or budget. In the case of PG these issues have been so bad for so long that any normal person or community would atleast consider alternative options.

I was in Kingstowne with the girlfriend last weekend. It's a shame to be reduced into awe about something as pedestrian as a souped up shopping mall. Yet in PG such places are far and few. Even Woodmore seemed trifling in comparison. I did a redfin on the price of homes in the area and condos and townhomes are going for the same price as 3000sq ft+ homes near Wegman's in PG

Yet we whine why no businesses come to PG. Well I can think of several and none have to do with racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 PM

7,018 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
This is interesting. I agree with you about the perspective on that practice. I've known people who seemed to view their party affiliation as part of the very fiber of their being.
I have run into folks when lit dropping that stop me and ask "Is the candidate a Democrat or Republican," before I say anything. Based on the answer, they either shoe me off their porch, or say they are already voting for the candidate........before I even have a chance to say which person I am campaigning for.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I have run into folks when lit dropping that stop me and ask "Is the candidate a Democrat or Republican," before I say anything. Based on the answer, they either shoe me off their porch, or say they are already voting for the candidate........before I even have a chance to say which person I am campaigning for.
Here in Southern Maryland I've seen families split apart (not divorce, but members declared personas non grata) because the younger members are of a different party than the parents/grandparents. Typically, well in every single case (dozens), the younger generation are Republican while the older is Democrat.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM

7,018 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here in Southern Maryland I've seen families split apart (not divorce, but members declared personas non grata) because the younger members are of a different party than the parents/grandparents. Typically, well in every single case (dozens), the younger generation are Republican while the older is Democrat.
Is there much difference in idealogy between the young and old? Or is just about the D or R on the voter registration card?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Is there much difference in idealogy between the young and old? Or is just about the D or R on the voter registration card?
D and R.

What's funny is that the typical Democrat, especially the older ones, down here are just a bit more conservative than Atilla the Hun while the typical Republican, while "conservative" are the ones who have pushed environmental and growth control initiatives.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Not to beat a dead horse but I saw a video that reminded me of this thread. Notice how much the voters knew about the Republicans but not much from their own party.

Idiots who voted for Obama - YouTube

Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but I saw a video that reminded me of this thread. Notice how much the voters knew about the Republicans but not much from their own party.

Idiots who voted for Obama - YouTube
No offense, but do you really think that a Youtube video is significant evidence of anything? Do you know how many "Idiots who voted for Romney" videos there are floating around?

And to answer your previous question- why vote against a party instead of for another party- I can't believe that actually requires an answer. People in political power are capable of inflicting tons of damage. You may not like the status quo very much, but you may be more worried about the alternative. Before the Iraq war, I would have thought "Democrat, Republican, they're all slimy politicians, what's the big deal?" But obviously there are some major differences between the parties, and it always bothers me that Republicans seem to have these agendas under the surface that would always make me wary of voting for them, even in a state like MD which is clearly suffering under one-party rule. Look at how Republicans in Michigan handled the right-to-work law. They just rammed it through, without debate, discussion, or warning to opponents of the law, during a lame-duck session. And they even made sure to make it impossible to reverse through referendum. It wasn't something that anyone campaigned on and the governor had actually indicated earlier that he would never sign that particular law. Whatever you think of right to work laws or unions, this doesn't exactly scream good faith legislating. The work of state legislators should not make national news- but this was clearly an issue where outside the state influence, possibly very big money, was a factor for the legislators. Until things change in the Republican party, I can't even entertain voting for one of them.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
No offense, but do you really think that a Youtube video is significant evidence of anything? Do you know how many "Idiots who voted for Romney" videos there are floating around?

And to answer your previous question- why vote against a party instead of for another party- I can't believe that actually requires an answer. People in political power are capable of inflicting tons of damage. You may not like the status quo very much, but you may be more worried about the alternative. Before the Iraq war, I would have thought "Democrat, Republican, they're all slimy politicians, what's the big deal?" But obviously there are some major differences between the parties, and it always bothers me that Republicans seem to have these agendas under the surface that would always make me wary of voting for them, even in a state like MD which is clearly suffering under one-party rule. Look at how Republicans in Michigan handled the right-to-work law. They just rammed it through, without debate, discussion, or warning to opponents of the law, during a lame-duck session. And they even made sure to make it impossible to reverse through referendum. It wasn't something that anyone campaigned on and the governor had actually indicated earlier that he would never sign that particular law. Whatever you think of right to work laws or unions, this doesn't exactly scream good faith legislating. The work of state legislators should not make national news- but this was clearly an issue where outside the state influence, possibly very big money, was a factor for the legislators. Until things change in the Republican party, I can't even entertain voting for one of them.
You missed a significant part of the conversation which was the reason for me posting this video. I hear what you're saying about Republicans, but my question is, why aren't more blacks voting for independents if the real issue is the Republicans? That is the issue that Bowian struggled with addressing because it's illogical to think that people are supposedly informed voters, but don't have enough knowledge to realize that they don't have to JUST vote Democratic. The video was just an illustration that people know more about why they don't vote for Republicans than why do vote Democrat and all I'm saying is why can't that same logic be applied to independents?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Pgtitans, I was not struggling. I was very clear. However you do not like nor agree with my responses. There are blacks who do not find it advantageous for a variety of reasons to vote Independent. There are blacks who are very intelligent and have very good reasons for their voting patterns. I find it rather amusing that you seek to bolster your points by embedding YouTube videos with titles that detract from an intelligent conversation. You would do well to ask a neighbor or others instead of trying to beat a dead horse in this forum. I think this issue is more of your struggle than it is mine.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post

Truth be told the vast majority of Americans across the political spectrum are woefully ignorant about most issues of the day. You could do a similar video in a Republican stronghold.

This is why I'm personally not big on universal suffrage. A republican form of government is just fine. Heck an enlightened monarchy may even be better than being ruled by the masses of idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland