U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM

10,136 posts, read 12,736,749 times

Advertisements

Woman ‘scared’ before deadly stabbing of roommate - The Washington Post

I'm just completely shocked at how this has turned out. I expected that she would at least get some type of manslaughter charges. Can you imagine a situation where someone swings a knife and 'accidentally' strikes someone but doesn't get any charges against them? I understand that she was attacked but there doesn't seem like there was a justifiable reason for her to get a knife out. I also am concerned that no one corroborated any parts of her story and how the knife mysteriously disappeared (why isn't the mother being charged with evidence tampering?). I'm not a lawyer of course but I just can't wrap my head around how this case turned out. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 AM

20 posts, read 38,372 times
Deep down inside I will always believe that she didn't mean to do any harm to the girl. I think she just wanted to prove that she was "frightening" and "not a person to be messed with". I think young blacks (me being one myself) nowadays feel that the only way to garnish respect is through showing their violent side.

A person's body is so fragile and I think we often forget that and get into careless situations such as this girl did.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,253,985 times
I heard about the verdict on the news this morning and am disappointed as well. There should be no way that she should not have least gotten manslaughter. I don't care if she was frightened there is NO WAY that, in that situation, she is justified in her actions.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 AM

18,603 posts, read 17,958,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarsCorner View Post
Deep down inside I will always believe that she didn't mean to do any harm to the girl. I think she just wanted to prove that she was "frightening" and "not a person to be messed with". I think young blacks (me being one myself) nowadays feel that the only way to garnish respect is through showing their violent side.

A person's body is so fragile and I think we often forget that and get into careless situations such as this girl did.
Whether she meant harm or not her actions resulted in another individual's death. There are charges in the penal code that address unintentional killings.

I think this is a case of gender bias. We have an attractive, petite girl charged with murder. Juries often have a hard time convicting female defendants especially attractive ones of heinous crimes unless the evidence is overwhelming.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,736,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Whether she meant harm or not her actions resulted in another individual's death. There are charges in the penal code that address unintentional killings.

I think this is a case of gender bias. We have an attractive, petite girl charged with murder. Juries often have a hard time convicting female defendants especially attractive ones of heinous crimes unless the evidence is overwhelming.
BINGO!!!! I know for fact that if this was a man, then this would have gone much, much difference. She should have at least gotten involuntary manslaughter charges. What she did was the definition of involuntary manslaughter.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM

37,922 posts, read 24,367,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

yeah, i think that's exactly right.

the deliberation only took 2.5 hours.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,133,857 times
My two cents:

1. It sounds like she was only charged with 1st degree murder, so I am thinking the lesser charges were not an option for the jury. Perhaps the State's Attorney's office erred with that. I was rather surprised to see the 1st degree charges, because I think it would have been easier to prove second degree murder or manslaughter.

2. She presented as a victim of bullying by Frazier and her friends, which apparently helped her. She appears to not have meant it, but what do people generally do in a fight situation where they feel outnumbered? Flee (unless they can't) or grab knives and start slashing? She had the opportunity to get out and stay gone. If you leave your dorm room because of problems with your roomate, don't return for homecoming week. Stay gone. If you scuffle and can get away from that, don't return and start another scuffle. Stay gone.

3. Also, some of the witness statements were questionable. For example, one witness withheld some info until the week of trial, and the info seemed rather sympathetic towards Simpson. And the witness and her mother had a money dispute with BSU and approached a news station about that after the killing. So I would have found that witness less credible.

In college, we weren't engaging in fistfights or stabbing people. Young women could get mean as hell, but that level of violence was very rare. It makes me think about the general outlook of young people today.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,133,857 times
Okay, so there were apparently seven charges altogether; I should have followed this more closely. The comments to this story are interesting:

Not Guilty: Bowie State Student Acquitted of All Charges - Bowie, MD Patch

Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM

37,922 posts, read 24,367,133 times
i voted at bowie state on election day. to have something like this happen there was pretty out of character for bsu.
not knowing what the jury heard, it's hard to say - but this verdict was definitely not what i expected.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 AM

18,603 posts, read 17,958,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i voted at bowie state on election day. to have something like this happen there was pretty out of character for bsu.
not knowing what the jury heard, it's hard to say - but this verdict was definitely not what i expected.
There was a call from the stabber to 911 where she's heard asking why they jumped her. I guess the jury felt it was self defense. Being that she was technically in her home she had no duty to retreat from a threat/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland