Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,462 times

Advertisements

Over the past few months I have seen several new upscale movie theatres/bowling alley projects announced/opening in the DC Metro area. There are three upscale movie theatres opening in Bethesda, one upscale movie theatre opening up in SE DC next to the National's Stadium, a upscale bowling alley in Bethesda, one upscale bowling alley being proposed in Georgetown and a few of both opened or scheduled to open in Baltimore and NOVA.

Reading about these projects made me begin to think about why PGC doesn't have something like this. Aside from the normal rhetoric about crime etc. I would think that, given the county's economic status, that we would be slated for a few of these projects. A lot of the upscale movie theatres target older adults and some have age restrictions (21 and up) after a certain hour so the teenage issue would be minimized. The same goes for the upscale bowling alleys I have seen.

Do you think that PGC would be seeing these types of ammenities added to the county in the next few years? If so what locations would you proposed to maximize use and profits? Would that be something you would patronize? As a point of reference here are two companies that are representative of these industries.

Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas | Cinemas | San Diego, Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Costa, Laguna Niguel, Ocean Ranch | Movie theater with leather recliners, full bar and fine dining

www.splitsvillelanes.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Over the past few months I have seen several new upscale movie theatres/bowling alley projects announced/opening in the DC Metro area. There are three upscale movie theatres opening in Bethesda, one upscale movie theatre opening up in SE DC next to the National's Stadium, a upscale bowling alley in Bethesda, one upscale bowling alley being proposed in Georgetown and a few of both opened or scheduled to open in Baltimore and NOVA.

Reading about these projects made me begin to think about why PGC doesn't have something like this. Aside from the normal rhetoric about crime etc. I would think that, given the county's economic status, that we would be slated for a few of these projects. A lot of the upscale movie theatres target older adults and some have age restrictions (21 and up) after a certain hour so the teenage issue would be minimized. The same goes for the upscale bowling alleys I have seen.

Do you think that PGC would be seeing these types of ammenities added to the county in the next few years? If so what locations would you proposed to maximize use and profits? Would that be something you would patronize? As a point of reference here are two companies that are representative of these industries.

Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas | Cinemas | San Diego, Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Costa, Laguna Niguel, Ocean Ranch | Movie theater with leather recliners, full bar and fine dining

In PG they'd have to charge more than the $20 per ticket that they're charging in the Cali theaters you linked up to keep the riff raff out.

I know it's easy to blame teenagers for issues but you'd be surprised about how much of the havoc in PG is caused by adults. Frankly I get nothing but respect from PG teenagers in my encounters with them, "It's always yes sir" and I'm only 35. I guess it helps that I don't wear my pants off my butt and conduct myself like an adult.

So short answer no well not aleast in Southern half of the county.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In PG they'd have to charge more than the $20 per ticket that they're charging in the Cali theaters you linked up to keep the riff raff out.

I know it's easy to blame teenagers for issues but you'd be surprised about how much of the havoc in PG is caused by adults. Frankly I get nothing but respect from PG teenagers in my encounters with them, "It's always yes sir" and I'm only 35. I guess it helps that I don't wear my pants off my butt and conduct myself like an adult.

So short answer no well not aleast in Southern half of the county.
I see your point and am on the fence about it. On one hand, I don't believe that, given the history of such projects (e.g. Majic Johnson Theaters), that it could attract the troublemakers (be they adults or teens). On the other hand I think that it could work in areas like National Harbor, East Campus Project, or Konterra since they have (or will have) access to a more diverse market. The riff raff could be a problem but that could be mitigated by ticket price (which could be about the same as Cali) and maybe requiring a meal minimum since that is supposed to be the biggest draw for that type of theater. I also like the fact that you can reserve your seat when you purchase your ticket. As for the bowling alley, that may be a little harder. I know that at Splitsville they have a strict dress code after 8 that would rule out the casual wear of most urban youth/young adults and you have to be over 21 after 10. Although I do have concerns that you would be bombarded by the "can't take them out in public crowd", I do feel that it could work given the right controls. Besides we really need to add more ammenities to some of these new communities being built to attract higher income families and employers. Following the Wegman's-Whole Food trend of upscale ammenities would help tremendously.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:

I have been wanting to go to Splitsville down in Fredericksburg for the longest every time I pass it on 95 going south! I digress.

I think we have a while before we can get an upscale bowling alley/movie theatre. I actually thought National Harbor would go this route given that it would be a compliment to all those restaurants down there but they have thought otherwise. The problem and I know between me, you and EdwardA can attest to this on the southern part of the county, is that this county hasn't shown that it can support a low scale movie theatre or bowling alley. Look at the bowling alley in Clinton. Apparently it used to get robbed quite often and that led to it being closed down (which it has been for almost 5 years and still has yet to be replaced). Then there is the movie theatre in Marlow Heights that was closed but recently re-opened. There isn't a consistency in the success of either of these type of venues to warrant an upscale one, again unless it is at the National Harbor. I think the county has to show these businesses that it's worth the money to come here. The movie theatre in Brandywine that is being built will be a good test to see where we are, but I won't hold my breath. I would even say this to be the case in the northern part of the county. As nice as Bowie Town Center can be, it's hard to imagine anything in that shopping center being catered strictly to adults. It seems like they get quite a bit of foot traffic from teens and local college students, so it has to makes sense. Maybe Konterra is a possibility up there but it's much too soon to speculate, but it would be great if this county can support it.

And one side note, because I feel as though this is a little related, I don't think the county has done that great in changing the perception with Wegmans. There has apparently been issues with some crime there, and the prices are noticeably higher than some of the other locations (at least the other ones I have gone to). Wegmans definitely benefitted from moving to PG, but I think the store suffers from the mentality of the people in the area. If you go to a different Wegmans, AT TIMES, there is a noticeable difference in the quality of service and I think that reflects poorly on our county's capability to support another establishment like Wegmans.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:

I don't think we necessarily need an upscale movie theater. Personally, I don't see the need. They may be just a fad? There are things that existing theaters can do now to make movie watching more pleasant for the well to do. For example, in some of these megaplexes, take about 4 screens and make them for adults 21 and over. Also, they can create a VIP section at the concession stand where a more palatable menu is served like gourmet hamburgers, etc. I would add a premium of $10 extra to the ticket price for this privilege.

I'm not sure about wait service though. The theaters would have to be retrofitted with wider aisles. And the rows would have to be at least 6 ft. taller than the row in from so the wait staff isn't standing between the screen and the row behind them. I went to one dinner theater in Indianapolis. In was an interesting experience. They served alcohol and had a real menu.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I have been wanting to go to Splitsville down in Fredericksburg for the longest every time I pass it on 95 going south! I digress.

I think we have a while before we can get an upscale bowling alley/movie theatre. I actually thought National Harbor would go this route given that it would be a compliment to all those restaurants down there but they have thought otherwise. The problem and I know between me, you and EdwardA can attest to this on the southern part of the county, is that this county hasn't shown that it can support a low scale movie theatre or bowling alley. Look at the bowling alley in Clinton. Apparently it used to get robbed quite often and that led to it being closed down (which it has been for almost 5 years and still has yet to be replaced). Then there is the movie theatre in Marlow Heights that was closed but recently re-opened. There isn't a consistency in the success of either of these type of venues to warrant an upscale one, again unless it is at the National Harbor. I think the county has to show these businesses that it's worth the money to come here. The movie theatre in Brandywine that is being built will be a good test to see where we are, but I won't hold my breath. I would even say this to be the case in the northern part of the county. As nice as Bowie Town Center can be, it's hard to imagine anything in that shopping center being catered strictly to adults. It seems like they get quite a bit of foot traffic from teens and local college students, so it has to makes sense. Maybe Konterra is a possibility up there but it's much too soon to speculate, but it would be great if this county can support it.

And one side note, because I feel as though this is a little related, I don't think the county has done that great in changing the perception with Wegmans. There has apparently been issues with some crime there, and the prices are noticeably higher than some of the other locations (at least the other ones I have gone to). Wegmans definitely benefitted from moving to PG, but I think the store suffers from the mentality of the people in the area. If you go to a different Wegmans, AT TIMES, there is a noticeable difference in the quality of service and I think that reflects poorly on our county's capability to support another establishment like Wegmans.

I went to the one in Miami as well as the one in Bethesda which opened my eyes to the concept. Both were nice. I felt the same way as you but when I read that SE DC/Navy Yard was on its way to getting something I was like "wait a minute". Granted they have better access to higher disposable incomes and the area is going through gentrification but it is still the hood and will probably be the hood for a while. I agree that NH would probably be the best place to pilot such concepts given the level of security and policing that they have there but I haven't seen any movement on that. I do recall MGM asking me(when I visited the info center) about those being possible entertainment options but I (in auto-pilot) shot it down. I am sure that others did the same thing. Like you said we have an issue maintaining those types of ammenities in their normal form but it is a shame that that is the case.

I have heard the same about Wegmans and feel that is probably one of the reasons we haven't seen additional expansion.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM

200 posts, read 293,109 times
Go to a Giant, Safeway, Food Lion or other grocery store in the south part of the county and take note of the selection of foods. One's choices over in NOVA or even the Whole Foods at GWU have different choices. The healthier food is the more it costs. The produce aisles at most Giant stores is miniscule compared to the soda, cookie and junk food aisles. Does it explain obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes?
I like good quality yogurt and had to ask the dairy manager to get a certain brand. He thanked me because the stuff flies off the shelf. People like the better stuff but the stores are hesitant to stock new stuff because it might be too expensive or not meet the wants/needs of the community. I am lucky to be 20 minutes from NOVA and can get to Trader Joe's or other places as well as visit family.
A trade off for those amenities is every street is a major throughway - are we willing to put traffic lights at every intersection, basically turning every neighborhood into part of the city? I like my neighborhood nice and quiet with little through traffic.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
Go to a Giant, Safeway, Food Lion or other grocery store in the south part of the county and take note of the selection of foods. One's choices over in NOVA or even the Whole Foods at GWU have different choices. The healthier food is the more it costs. The produce aisles at most Giant stores is miniscule compared to the soda, cookie and junk food aisles. Does it explain obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes?
I like good quality yogurt and had to ask the dairy manager to get a certain brand. He thanked me because the stuff flies off the shelf. People like the better stuff but the stores are hesitant to stock new stuff because it might be too expensive or not meet the wants/needs of the community. I am lucky to be 20 minutes from NOVA and can get to Trader Joe's or other places as well as visit family.
A trade off for those amenities is every street is a major throughway - are we willing to put traffic lights at every intersection, basically turning every neighborhood into part of the city? I like my neighborhood nice and quiet with little through traffic.

I'm 10 minutes from a Trader Joes in Silver Spring. I'm not very impressed with their produce section. They do have a nice frozen food section. But that's it. MOMs in College Park is where I go to for fresh organic produce. It's a pretty penny, but it gives me piece of mind. Shoppers in College Park also has a nice produce section. It's pretty huge. I'll agree that Giant, as a whole, doesn't have a very good produce section.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM

200 posts, read 293,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'm 10 minutes from a Trader Joes in Silver Spring. I'm not very impressed with their produce section. They do have a nice frozen food section. But that's it. MOMs in College Park is where I go to for fresh organic produce. It's a pretty penny, but it gives me piece of mind. Shoppers in College Park also has a nice produce section. It's pretty huge. I'll agree that Giant, as a whole, doesn't have a very good produce section.
Giant blows for the most part and Safeway will charge 1/3 more for the same thing. I used to like McGruder's - yeah, I have lived here for a while - for produce and they moved ton's of the stuff. Our local Shopper's has gone up in price to rival Giant and Safeway. Drug Emporium, the best drug store ever, disappeared around the same time as McGruder's.

On the topic of theaters and bowling ally's - there is an AMF ally across from the Temple Hills post office. I have never been there and don't know if people still bowl there but it used to be busy. An upscale movie theater would be a waste because people can stream movies online from Netflix cheaper than that and will. $20 seats is too high for south county but might go over up north. I make an occasional trip up to the Uptown near the zoo if I want to go to a real movie house. One of the coolest movie theaters I have been to in the area is the Cinema and Draft House in Arlington. They don't play first run movies but $3 and waiters make up for it. A lot of people wait to buy videos as it is so this fits the niche. They have different versions around the country, maybe some in MD, I don't know.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It seems as though Giant really vary greatly in the area. Overall since they were brought out the quality is not the same. I think we need more choices in this county. Competition is a good thing. Having more MOMs or some other type of specialty grocery store, would probably make Giant step their game up around this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland