Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM

158 posts, read 246,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Okay. Seems kind of odd given the opportunity to eliminate some trips to Quantico even if Springfield is chosen. I thought at least the labs and classrooms could be housed in a building on a 2.1 million sqft. 80 acre campus. It would certainly cut down on the need to travel back and forth between the main campus and Quantico. I understand that some facilities naturally won't work on the new campus. Oh well.

Any reason why no part of Quantico is included in the consolidation?
There's more than just office buildings and labs:

From wiki : "The main training complex has three dormitory buildings, a dining hall, library, a classroom building, a Forensic Science Research and Training Center, a 1,000-seat auditorium, a chapel, administrative offices, a large gymnasium and outside track, along with a fully equipped garage. In addition to the main complex, there is a mock city known as Hogan's Alley, which consists of facades replicating a small town. The Hogan's Alley facades are primarily used for FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration New Agent Training, while behind the facades are fully functioning classrooms, audio-visual facilities, storage areas, and administrative and maintenance offices. Just beyond Hogan's Alley is a 1.1-mile pursuit driving/defensive driving training track. The extensive firearms training provided to all FBI/DEA and other law enforcement officers is conducted at the indoor firing range, the eight outdoor firing ranges, four skeet ranges, or the 200-yard rifle range."

It's basically a campus and includes mock towns and crime scene areas, along with firing ranges. Just simply too much to consolidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
There's more than just office buildings and labs:

From wiki : "The main training complex has three dormitory buildings, a dining hall, library, a classroom building, a Forensic Science Research and Training Center, a 1,000-seat auditorium, a chapel, administrative offices, a large gymnasium and outside track, along with a fully equipped garage. In addition to the main complex, there is a mock city known as Hogan's Alley, which consists of facades replicating a small town. The Hogan's Alley facades are primarily used for FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration New Agent Training, while behind the facades are fully functioning classrooms, audio-visual facilities, storage areas, and administrative and maintenance offices. Just beyond Hogan's Alley is a 1.1-mile pursuit driving/defensive driving training track. The extensive firearms training provided to all FBI/DEA and other law enforcement officers is conducted at the indoor firing range, the eight outdoor firing ranges, four skeet ranges, or the 200-yard rifle range."

It's basically a campus and includes mock towns and crime scene areas, along with firing ranges. Just simply too much to consolidate.
I can see the Forensic Science Research and Training Center being consolidated into updated state-of-the-art labs on the new campus. I agree that all the other activities couldn't be consolidated. They seem more like a college atmosphere with dorms, dining halls, chapel, etc. And especially the mock streetscapes.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I can see the Forensic Science Research and Training Center being consolidated into updated state-of-the-art labs on the new campus. I agree that all the other activities couldn't be consolidated. They seem more like a college atmosphere with dorms, dining halls, chapel, etc. And especially the mock streetscapes.
The upside to relocating to Springfield is that they could use the Route 1 corridor near Belvoir as their mock streetscape for dangerous areas

Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
The upside to relocating to Springfield is that they could use the Route 1 corridor near Belvoir as their mock streetscape for dangerous areas
I'm not sure if that is an upside when the alternatives are in PG County.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about the Quantico argument found in a lot of comments in articles on the FBI HQ move and the fact that Springfield should be chosen because it is the closest to Quantico. From reading these comments I've learned that there are labs at Quantico and a training facility; the academy.

Stepping back, consider the overall reason the FBI is looking for 2.1 million sqft. They want to consolidate FBI operations in the DC region into one campus. Assuming that this is the case, why wouldn't Quantico also be involved in this consolidation? If there are a certain number of employees traveling back and forth to Quantico, wouldn't it make sense to consolidate those activities as well? And if they are consolidating activities at Quantico, is the fact that Springfield is closer to Quantico still relevant? I think a lot of people are overlooking this.
I actually thought the same thing. If this is a true consolidation, it would make sense that their labs and training facilities are all under one umbrella. Unless there is some political posturing going on in the background I believe that will be the case.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM

More news on Granite City Brewery

Quote:
The restaurant and microbrewery will be located at the corner of American Way and St. George Boulevard, in the ground floor of The Esplanade apartments. There are locations across 14 states; this will be location 33 for the chain.
The restaurant will have seating for 300 people, with an open kitchen, big patio, private dining and a brewery on site (open for tours). They expect to have about 16 450-gallon tanks on site, explained CEO Rob Doran. Granite City uses a trademarked brewing process they call "fermentus interruptus," where they start the process at their brewhouse in Iowa and finish it onsite. They'll have growler fills at the National Harbor location, too.
http://dc.eater.com/archives/2014/07...ta-brewery.php

Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. What is a Growler's Fill? BTW. You should move this to the National Harbor thread.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Although commuting may be a part of the equation, I don't think it will be the ultimate deciding factor. I have co-workers and friends who commute great distances to get to DC (50+ miles) everyday so someone is going to have to commute to some degree. I do agree that some facilities will have to stay at Quantico but I don't see that swaying the vote. Just like with anything else(and probably what they are doing now), those living too far will either stay at a dorm or in a hotel nearby. As for the post regarding the ease of replacing staff it really just depends. Most administrative staff (I believe below a GS9) are unionized so "getting rid of them" is not as easy as one would think. I also believe those union will play a big role in determining a location that would support their members quality of life.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Although commuting may be a part of the equation, I don't think it will be the ultimate deciding factor. I have co-workers and friends who commute great distances to get to DC (50+ miles) everyday so someone is going to have to commute to some degree. I do agree that some facilities will have to stay at Quantico but I don't see that swaying the vote. Just like with anything else(and probably what they are doing now), those living too far will either stay at a dorm or in a hotel nearby. As for the post regarding the ease of replacing staff it really just depends. Most administrative staff (I believe below a GS9) are unionized so "getting rid of them" is not as easy as one would think. I also believe those union will play a big role in determining a location that would support their members quality of life.
No one will get fired. It will be up to the employee to decide if they want commute to Virginia, and many will just choose to get another job elsewhere.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Thanks for sharing. What is a Growler's Fill? BTW. You should move this to the National Harbor thread.
Ooops. Thought that's where I put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland