Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM

367 posts, read 884,576 times

Advertisements

I am gifting a car to my mother who lives in MD, we live in VA. As I have recently discovered MD inspection is crazy. Can anybody recommend any shops/places?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
I have had several older cars inspected at the Mr. Tire on Reisterstown Road in Owings Mills. Also had work done on various cars there and have always found them to be honest and not charging for unneccesary repairs. On one older Chrysler I took there the manager even advised me where to go to have a repair done cheaper (using non-factory parts).

Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
I am gifting a car to my mother who lives in MD, we live in VA.
As I have recently discovered MD inspection is crazy.
It's not crazy at all.
It's a far better system than any other state has.
Vehicle Safety Inspections

Quote:
Can anybody recommend any shops/places?
As to shops... the question goes the other way around.
It would be a rare shop that doesn't do it fairly and honestly.

Choose the one most convenient to your Mom in Maryland.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,155 times
I would honestly take it to a dealer in MD, unless you go to one of the more honest shops people recommend here.

Unlike other states in which I have lived, in Maryland you only have to get the car inspected once--except for an occasional emissions inspection. I think I might be different if you have lived in MD for a while and have a relationship with a mechanic, but as a newcomer from NC I really felt like they were ripping me off.

One independent shop even tried to "forget" to give me the inspection certificate and I had to go back and insist they give it to me (and this was after paying for the 1000K in repairs they found.) They did not look sorry they "forgot".

I had much better experiences with the local Toyota and Honda dealers for the inspection than I had with local independent shops, unfortunately At Sport Honda in Silver Spring they did the inspection along with an oil change, didn't find anything, and charged the standard fee (for a Honda, of course).

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's not crazy at all.
It's a far better system than any other state has.
Vehicle Safety Inspections

As to shops... the question goes the other way around.
It would be a rare shop that doesn't do it fairly and honestly.

Choose the one most convenient to your Mom in Maryland.
I disagree with your statement. I find that most shops tend to nitpick and are inconsistent as far as what needs to be repaired. The problem is the requirements are somewhat vague and can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

The best place to take your car is one that only does inspections and not repairs.

Some shops I have visited were very fair and only cared about true safety issues. Other shops have tried to nickel and dime me to death. For instance one shop would not pass me because a piece of the fender liner was chewed up. How is that a safety issue?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM

43 posts, read 191,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
I am gifting a car to my mother who lives in MD, we live in VA. As I have recently discovered MD inspection is crazy. Can anybody recommend any shops/places?

Thanks.
It would be helpful for advisers if you provide the region or town name where your mom located.
Or check on a n g i e l i s t (or) y e l p

Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
First of all why are you getting it inspected? Are you transferring into MD? Are you transferring title from her to you? (In that case I don't think an inspection is needed or there is a transfer tax. At least that is how I remember it when Mom gave me Dads car)

And where is the car? I can recommend a good place here in Frederick County but unless you live up this way ...

Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,453 times
Dobbin auto repair in Columbia, MD.

http://dobbinautorepair.com/

Dobbin Auto Repair - Columbia, MD

Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 AM

147 posts, read 218,825 times
When I first moved here, I was lucky to find Bob, the manager at Liberty on 355, about a mile from Shady Grove. (heading toward the Pike). He's good and his mechanics are great. It's right next to the mediocre shopping mall with a music store, a 7-11 and a Sprint store, across from the church. Very honest and not overpriced. Good luck.

Sorry...this is in Gaithersburg, too. I am still learning area, as well.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,307 times
As we speak, my wife is getting our 2010 vehicle inspected as we prepare to transfer its registration from Ohio to Maryland. 80 bucks. With a supposed military discount. That sound right to you guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland