Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,868,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Girl View Post
My biggest beef with NOVA inside the beltway is that it's Rambler City. There are a few pockets in Arlington and Alexandria where you have charming older neighborhoods with unique homes. But for the most part, NOVA's housing stock consists of cookie-cutter houses that are either shoe-box ramblers or split levels. If that's what you like, that's fine. Personally, I hate it. I prefer a variety of older, cottage-style houses and you can easily find that in Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Hyattsville, University Park, College Park. One thing I hate about both states is the lack of sidewalks in the older neighborhoods. Local governments need to step to the plate and retrofit older neighborhoods with sidewalks, whether the residents want them or not, at least on one side of each street.

Also, another thing I hate about NOVA is all the tear-down activity in the older neighborhoods. Huge new houses on tiny lots overtowering the original houses. There's less of that in Maryland, which is a good thing, in my book.
Another great point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM

116 posts, read 212,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Like I said I'm not making any claims nor am I interested in discussing an irrelevent topic. I am not asking, "is MD better than VA?"

This thread is about why MD is better. If you wish to join in and give your take on why MD is superior please join. If you want an education in common knowledge that everyone knows I suggest you ask for it in your own thread. Stop hijacking the thread.

Thank you
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. You have made the assertion that Maryland is superior to Virginia. Some people disagree with you. They've pointed out that there has been more economic and residential growth in VA. You've denied it, and when asked to provide some sort of backup for your claims, and now claiming that it's irrelevant to your position that MD is much more super awesomer than Virginia, and that this thread is really for only people who agree with you. I'm curious as to why economic growth is irrelevant to this discussion. Jobs are a huge concern. People go where the jobs are. If a county isn't bringing the jobs then they really aren't all that great and people's quality of life will suffer due to higher taxes as the jurisdiction needs to makeup the shortfall in revenues, and increased commute times.

The reason I am asking the questions I am asking is that I am curious as to what methodology you have used to come to your conclusion. I'm calling b.s. on your claim that new businesses in VA don't pay taxes due to a combination or loopholes and tax breaks.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy of Lost Umbrellas View Post
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. You have made the assertion that Maryland is superior to Virginia. Some people disagree with you. They've pointed out that there has been more economic and residential growth in VA. You've denied it, and when asked to provide some sort of backup for your claims, and now claiming that it's irrelevant to your position that MD is much more super awesomer than Virginia, and that this thread is really for only people who agree with you. I'm curious as to why economic growth is irrelevant to this discussion. Jobs are a huge concern. People go where the jobs are. If a county isn't bringing the jobs then they really aren't all that great and people's quality of life will suffer due to higher taxes as the jurisdiction needs to makeup the shortfall in revenues, and increased commute times.

The reason I am asking the questions I am asking is that I am curious as to what methodology you have used to come to your conclusion. I'm calling b.s. on your claim that new businesses in VA don't pay taxes due to a combination or loopholes and tax breaks.
Like I said I didn't make claims nor do I need to provide proof.

This thread has one purpose and that is to talk about why MD is better. If people disagree they have no place in this thread. I'm not interested in a pointless debate. MD is better we all know it.

To your argument it has been addressed. Reread the thread from the beginning and you will get your answers. If you want to refuse to believe the truth that is a personal problem you have. I have long ago learned it is pointless to waste time trying to argue against every ignorant view over the internet.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Actually you did make the claims. Please refer back to the posts that I cited earlier. Since you haven't established that Maryland is indeed the superior choice, we need to try some objective measurements. Are you a product of Maryland schools?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Actually you did make the claims. Please refer back to the posts that I cited earlier. Since you haven't established that Maryland is indeed the superior choice, we need to try some objective measurements. Are you a product of Maryland schools?
No, I stated facts but made no claims. I didn't establish anything reality did.

MD is superior it is not a debate. The earth is also round and it is not a debate. You can believe VA is better and that the Earth is flat. I really don't care if you want to believe incorrect information.

You are just going in a circle and getting nowhere. You already said you don't believe in reality so why are you still here? Your position. Is dully noted and ignored for being incorrect. Goodbye.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
No, I stated facts but made no claims. I didn't establish anything reality did.

MD is superior it is not a debate. The earth is also round and it is not a debate. You can believe VA is better and that the Earth is flat. I really don't care if you want to believe incorrect information.

You are just going in a circle and getting nowhere. You already said you don't believe in reality so why are you still here? Your position. Is dully noted and ignored for being incorrect. Goodbye.

Really, that's the best you can do? By the way, you've made claims. Facts are something that you've proven. You haven't done that. Instead, you've resorted to begging the question with a few ad hominems for fun.*

Just to get some data, are you a product of the Maryland educational system?

* See I've provided a link that supports my position. Isn't that nice and helpful. You should try it.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Really, that's the best you can do? By the way, you've made claims. Facts are something that you've proven. You haven't done that. Instead, you've resorted to begging the question with a few ad hominems for fun.*

Just to get some data, are you a product of the Maryland educational system?

* See I've provided a link that supports my position. Isn't that nice and helpful. You should try it.
Like I said it is not a debate, and I am not interested in having one. Thanks for the irrelevant links but I am not checking them . They are not related to why MD is better than VA. Facts are facts regardless. This forum cannot change facts.

I am not going to argue with you. You can believe what you want. I really don't care if your view on this subject is ignorant. Only thing I will discuss with you is what is the biggest factor that makes MD better than VA.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,082,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
There are certainly people other than the recipients of social spending, who prefer them. There are people who want to take some responsibility for the less fortunate among us - the poor, the elderly, the physically and mentally ill, etc.

There are of course some of us like that in Virginia

Virginia Jewish Advocacy Day 2013 | Jews United for Justice

We might even have a fighting chance at change in Va, but some people will use any method to stop it

Va. Republicans’ redistricting maneuver draws criticism - The Washington Post

but its certainly true that by avoiding such responsibility, an individual jurisdiction can improve its performance on a range of metrics - both by attracting those who want lower taxes, and discouraging those in need of services.
What I tend to see often in my home state is people who want to take credit for their purportedly greater sense of social responsibility, yet bristle at the successes of a neighboring jurisdiction that has a lighter regulatory touch. I really don't see Virginians resenting the areas where Maryland may have a comparative advantage with the same fervor or intensity.

But I'm not surprised that you might prefer MD to VA, which is certainly your right. I often think you'd fit in perfectly in Takoma Park.

Last edited by JD984; 01-25-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Like I said it is not a debate, and I am not interested in having one. Thanks for the irrelevant links but I am not checking them . They are not related to why MD is better than VA. Facts are facts regardless. This forum cannot change facts.

I am not going to argue with you. You can believe what you want. I really don't care if your view on this subject is ignorant. Only thing I will discuss with you is what is the biggest factor that makes MD better than VA.
I think the bottom line is simply that you have a very, very odd way of articulating your views and posting. Stating opinions as "facts" and disclaiming any interest in contrary facts is not the normal manner of discourse on C-D. If it were clearer that all you're ever really interested in are posts that ratify or reinforce your existing opinions (masquerading as "facts"), more people might either play along on your terms or ignore you completely. As it stands, many of us are gradually coming to the conclusion that the latter is the wiser course.

Last edited by JD984; 01-25-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the key take away from that column is this

"Although it's always best to know the facts, I regret that the competition risks weakening regional solidarity. It's vital for our area to cooperate on issues including transportation, the environment and public safety. "

Too much cooperation might endanger the strategy of using an inter-jurisdiction race to the bottom to gut social service expenditures, however.

Va still won't even accept the federal subsidy for extending Medicaid as part of the Affordable Care Act.
That may be your key take-away from the column. I don't think it was the author's main point, however, since it appeared at the end of the article. Journalists usually do not wait until the end of a piece to make their main point, since many readers never get to the end of an article.

The main take-away appeared earlier and stated bluntly: "But this column takes a regionwide perspective, so if we have to pick, then I acknowledge squarely that Fairfax is Top Suburb." In turn, I would readily agree that the data that led to this acknowledgment might not lead everyone to the same conclusion, but I'd be honest enough to admit these are subjective judgments to begin with, and not characterize them as unassailable "facts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland