Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Maryland has a lot going for it that rarely gets mentioned, but in some ways I prefer Virginia, and other ways, Maryland. Perhaps the OP could give us his or her reasons for their view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
I also prefer VA in some ways as well but it is really hard to narrow down which state is better because every individual situation is different.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times
I have lived in VA, MD, and DC over the years. I chose Maryland this time and have been very happy with my choice. That said, I don't believe that Maryland is somehow objectively "better" any more than I believe that Virginia is objectively "better" no matter how much people on both boards will argue otherwise. "Better" or "worse" depends on every individual's priorities.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
Personally speaking Maryland and Northern Va have both there Pros and Cons. For me the choice was Maryland. Cheaper housing, less traffic and I have been fortunate enough to find employment in MD so I don't have to deal with super long distance commutes. In some regard I felt Va was better and in others MD was better. In the D.C. area suburbs you kinda have to pick what's best for the individual. If you like being near the shops and trendy location by a metro station, then I think Va is better. If you want less traffic and more down to earth folks, I think MD is better.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
I could go on and on about how more liberal MD is than VA. Partly because VA has more rural southern areas than MD - less history of Union labor, etc.

MD for at least 40 years has had WAY more women holding political office.
MD has historically been more friendly to gambling.
Langley Park MD builds a meeting place for its Hispanic day laborers, while Herndon VA discourages them. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Montg County MD has established its own minimum "livable" wage level, higher than the Federal one.
MD is more willing than VA to contribute to cleaning up Chesapeake Bay. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
MD voters were the first in the USA to approve same-sex marriage by popular vote.
MD is pro-gun control, VA is anti-gun control. VA prefers instead having the "three strikes law" mandating prison time for repeat offenders using guns.
NoVA in the 21st century still has tons of roads, streets, schools, parks, and community centers named after Civil War Confederate leaders.

Right now VA's Governor McConnell (sp?) is proposing eliminating the state gasoline tax - while imposing a special new tax on alternate-fuel vehicles - and raising the general sales tax by 0.8%. (This is now being discussed on Greater Greater Washington ).

Last edited by slowlane3; 01-13-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 09:36 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
To some people saying VA being better, it only has more traffic. Besides having more congested roads VA offers nothing better than MD, and many people would argue congested roads are not a good thing.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I find the quality of life, the quality of people, the atmosphere, the traffic, etc are better in MD.
Wrong on all accounts.

And I never lived in VA! But I did work in Springfield recently for about a year.

Until very recently I lived in the Maryland side of the DC suburbs for the last 55 years.
I do not know where you are going with this topic or what the actual point is but it is false. Maryland has traffic woes too and the people who live in Maryland are not better.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Wrong on all accounts.

And I never lived in VA! But I did work in Springfield recently for about a year.

Until very recently I lived in the Maryland side of the DC suburbs for the last 55 years.
I do not know where you are going with this topic or what the actual point is but it is false. Maryland has traffic woes too and the people who live in Maryland are not better.
Right on all accounts.

MD does have traffic, but VA puts it to shame.

We cant generalize all people, and VA has plenty of good people, but overall MD has better people.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM

490 posts, read 924,086 times
Quote:
We cant generalize all people, and VA has plenty of good people, but overall MD has better people
Lol I agree...but it was just funny the way you put it "Better People" LOL.......Overall Im a DC area Native, I love Both sides Montgomery County, Howard and Northern Va......We have the best schools in the Nation and we are always rank among the Affluent/Elite.....But yes its sad to say Maryland is ranked Number 1 as a Power house State

Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Lol I agree...but it was just funny the way you put it "Better People" LOL.......Overall Im a DC area Native, I love Both sides Montgomery County, Howard and Northern Va......We have the best schools in the Nation and we are always rank among the Affluent/Elite.....But yes its sad to say Maryland is ranked Number 1 as a Power house State
I feel NOVA could be as good as MD if the southern part of the state didnt drag them down a few notches.

VA always bites the hand that feeds it, NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland