Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,570 times

Advertisements

Just a hypothetical question.

What if the county/school lines were divided along the Beltway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
Just a hypothetical question.

What if the county/school lines were divided along the Beltway?
I think it would take a similar path as VA and WVA and that economic, social and political disparities would occur as a result.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Inside

1. Would receive the lions share of economic activity with its proximity to DC. and most of the metro stations.
2. Would have total benefit of Purple Line inside the beltway.
3. Would be more urban oriented.
4. Would have Fed Ex Field

Outside

1. Would have the better schools.
2. Would encourage suburban sprawl as they would fight the inner beltway county for development
3. Most, if not all of county residents would travel out of the county for work. An exception would be National Harbor.

A beltway split would be unfair and detrimental to smart growth. A more realistic split would be north and south somewhere around New Carrollton. That way, both counties would have inner and outer beltway communities and have access to DC.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Inside

1. Would receive the lions share of economic activity with its proximity to DC. and most of the metro stations.
2. Would have total benefit of Purple Line inside the beltway.
3. Would be more urban oriented.
4. Would have Fed Ex Field

Outside

1. Would have the better schools.
2. Would encourage suburban sprawl as they would fight the inner beltway county for development
3. Most, if not all of county residents would travel out of the county for work. An exception would be National Harbor.

A beltway split would be unfair and detrimental to smart growth. A more realistic split would be north and south somewhere around New Carrollton. That way, both counties would have inner and outer beltway communities and have access to DC.
Probably need to do a split North/South of RT 50

Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
I don't think an inside/outside split would be realistic because alone those areas are not diverse enough to stand on their own. The outside of the beltway part has very little commercial real estate so it would struggle to maintain revenue and it wouldn't have the benefit of the metro to help cultivate development. The inside of the beltway would be almost like a mini suburb city like Alexandria, Arlington and Silver Spring are, but it would not have much that would attract higher incomes to move there because of poor schools, too urbanized for most families and high crime.

Maybe this is me overanalyzing the question, but I think split it north and south makes more sense. Culturally the two areas are very different and they have a good balance inside and outside the beltway to address some of the issues I mentioned before. I see the northern county as a place with much more diversity, better schools, and economic development, while the southern part would be cheaper and have more land for expansion, so the potential would be there for both to form their own identity and be successful.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:09 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Anyone care to make a map? That would be awesome.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
If that happened, then the inner-beltway population would not have a community college (or they would have to pay non-resident tuition rates to attend the one in Largo). Also, they would need to build a new court house and government office facilities - and decide where it would be (probably in the northern or central region).

Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

A beltway split would be unfair and detrimental to smart growth.
Smart Growth?! Get out of here with that terminology. It's called "Reinvest Maryland" :P

So you wanted a map? Here is a map:

Old 03-06-2016, 12:02 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
If that happened, then the inner-beltway population would not have a community college (or they would have to pay non-resident tuition rates to attend the one in Largo). Also, they would need to build a new court house and government office facilities - and decide where it would be (probably in the northern or central region).
1) IF -- IF PGC were to be split into two entities…..
-- as far as the court house and gpv't offices…who's to say the current court house and offices would stay where they are with the new Outer Beltway Count They COULD move and go with/to the new Inner Beltway County. Physical locations can be moved. It could be the Outer Beltway County would need to set all that up. Same for the Community College. No office, business, school, or employer HAS to stay where it is

2) Now, as for the North/South split and where that might hypothetically be….. I have to say when I first saw that I wondered, "umm….would I rather be north or south PG County??? and I honestly don't know.

Whatever divider you use….you'd also have to let any cities or incorporated areas that straddle that line CHOOSE to be a part of one or the other (or split, which I highly doubt)

So here are MY questions:
-- if the split were inner / outer beltway would you move to be part of the other?
-- If the split were North/South which would you want to be part of??

Old 03-06-2016, 01:35 PM

662 posts, read 783,513 times
why would anyone want that happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland