Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,054 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is about to move back to the DC area after living in the Boston metro area for the last five years. Although I grew up in the area, I haven't had to head into VA for a rush hour commute ever, so I don't know what to expect. Our friends live in Silver Spring, Laurel, and Columbia, so we'd like to stay on the MD side.

One area we are looking at is North Potomac. Do you know what the commute from North Potomac to Tyson's would be like? My office is right next to one of the express exits, so at least the local Tyson's traffic won't be much of an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,632,282 times
Depends on time of morning and evening. We go by there between 6:30 and 7 am. I-270 is always slow with heavy traffic, but once on the beltway it's usually okay. Going home, though, you will run in to heavy traffic on the beltway, both in Virginia, and just prior to the merge for 270.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM

513 posts, read 956,986 times
One of the worse traffic congestions in the USA is from Tysons Corner to Motgomery county at 5:00. Routinely completely stop and go traffic for an hour.

I would try to work either an early or late schedule.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM

6,557 posts, read 11,181,141 times
Had a commute from Potomac to Tysons for five years. Did the 7-3 deal.... took about 25 min in the AM, and about 45-1hr in the PM. All bets are off if weather is involved.

It was about a 16 mile trip each way.. I basically went down Piney Meetinghouse to River, then Falls to Clara Barton Pkwy to 495. Depending on the traffic pattern, I would often get off at Georgetown Pike and cut through Great Falls/Mclean via Swinks Mill. In the evening, I would always cut through to G'town Pike. The traffic on International, 123 and 495 is just not worth the aggravation imo. Of course, the line getting off Clara Barton by David Taylor is long and hard to avoid in the PM.

In essence, I tried to avoid 495 as much as possible. This was over 5 years ago though - I suspect things have probably gotten worse over time.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,632,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
One of the worse traffic congestions in the USA is from Tysons Corner to Motgomery county at 5:00. Routinely completely stop and go traffic for an hour.

I would try to work either an early or late schedule.
He ain't kidding! I was on 495 tonight near Tysons (Rt. 7). We were driving home from there. We got on 495 at 5:30 pm. We got to Darnestown Rd & Quince Orchard rd. at 6:58 pm. Worst ever time for me. I am not usually in Tyson's Corner at that time, so I didn't know how bad it was.. Now I know.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 AM

1,254 posts, read 680,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthking View Post
Hello,

My family is about to move back to the DC area after living in the Boston metro area for the last five years. Although I grew up in the area, I haven't had to head into VA for a rush hour commute ever, so I don't know what to expect. Our friends live in Silver Spring, Laurel, and Columbia, so we'd like to stay on the MD side.

One area we are looking at is North Potomac. Do you know what the commute from North Potomac to Tyson's would be like? My office is right next to one of the express exits, so at least the local Tyson's traffic won't be much of an issue.

Thanks in advance.
There's a short-cut somewhere, down Brickyard or Yellow Brick, I think, I cant remember, but the commute is going to be murder! Going from Maryland to Tysons in rush hour is always rough. If you get on the road before 7AM, then its not so tough, but coming home, anywhere between 4-6 PM, have fun, bring lots of books on tape cause you'll be crawling across the bridge. Its an hour commute

Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,933,407 times
what is truly sad about this trip is that it is faster via the metro redline to metro center then orange line to west falls church to 28A It was much faster than 90 mins. What is worse is this is not even a direct route!!!!.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM

1,254 posts, read 680,270 times
The commute is horrible. Last Thursday there was an accident at 5:00 PM, nobody was getting home that night. I got off the road and saw a movie....that happens, can happen anywhere, but in hindsight, if I lived in Maryland and worked in Tysons or beyond, I would move to Northern VA....

The commute will shorten your life......maybe the schools are better in Mont County, I dont know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland