U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 9,945 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a 500-600K SFH close to/in DC for our small and soon to be growing family (we have a 2 year old son and baby on the way). It appears that the Silver Spring n'hoods of Woodmoor and Indian Spring are the best bet for our money. Nice looking homes (albeit small), young friendly families, close to parks, easy access to DC and urban areas, etc. One thing we don't know much about are the elementary schools in those areas. A cursory internet search did not impress me. Is Hillcrest ES the only school that serves kids below 3rd grade? What is it and other ESs in the area like (parent involvement, teacher enthusiasm/motivation/skills, student population, etc.)? Do most n'hood kids go to these school or do they attend private schools? If private schools, which are popular and why? Anyone who lives in or knows the areas well please weigh in. We are new to the area and looking for a diverse, friendly, supportive n'hood to raise our children in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 AM

11,721 posts, read 21,111,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayhnbee View Post
Is Hillcrest ES the only school that serves kids below 3rd grade?
I don't even see Hillcrest listed in the counties web site. It may be an obsolete school. Things change so much it's hard for a non-parent (like me) to keep up.

Your best bet is to use the county school locator when you have an interest in a specific address. It's at Division of Long-range Planning

I think the county does an excellent job of handling the diverse population in the down-county areas. However, there is a Montessori school and some religious schools you might consider. I think your best option is to actually talk with parents in the are.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayhnbee View Post
We are new to the area and looking for a diverse, friendly, supportive n'hood to raise our children in.
For the zip code 20901, it looks like Montgomery Knolls serves the primary grades K-2, and Pine Crest serves grades 3-5. Montgomery Knolls has a very diverse population, and Pine Crest is a modern building with a Center for Highly Gifted kids in grades 4 and 5. You would feed into Eastern Middle Schools and Montgomery Blair High School. It's all part of the Down-County Consortium which has specialized programs for kids to select "majors" in high school. I think you should visit to get a feel for whether it's something you would like.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
However, there is a Montessori school and some religious schools you might consider.
Here's a web site with sketches of several private and public schools: Silver Spring, Maryland Schools and Education Directory

For private schools, I like the Grace Episcopal Day School or Barrie School, but that's such a personal choice, I couldn't make a recommendation.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM

[quote=ayhnbee;1813179] Do most n'hood kids go to these school or do they attend private schools? If private schools, which are popular and why? QUOTE]

After looking at the ads for Woodmoor on Realtor.com, it's apparent that they are playing up the proximity to St. Bernadette's, a K-8 Catholic school. I would bet that's where a lot of Woodmoor kids go. I would be nervous about having my K-2 kids bused over to Montgomery Knolls.

Again, I think you ought to talk with homeowners in the area about their feelings about the schools.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM

222 posts, read 990,907 times
I grew up in Woodmoor and my Mom still lives there. There is an active community listserv and a Moms of woodmoor listserv (yahoo groups) - I belong to both as I used to live in Woodmoor and keep up with it for my Mom and my 4yo's friends still live there. They also have a very active Garden Club. Although there is a large Catholic community there, there are lots of kids that go to Montgomery Knolls. The school is very diverse, as are the schools that it feeds into.

I would highly recommend Woodmoor as a neighborhood - you can PM me if you have specific questions!

BTW, a family I used to babysit for moved away to Chevy chase (I think) and moved back a few years later because they missed it. In addition, many families have several generations living in the neighborhood. I'd live there but Hubby and I are working in the Baltimore area.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,007 times
I am a parent looking to buy in Woodmoor. I haven't figured out the pm function yet but I'd love to be able to get your opinion about the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland