Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 05:36 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,190 times

Advertisements

It is a good location....with BRAC and the ICC they are really revitalizing Laurel. Real Estate has already been selling, property values increased, Market Rent has increased. And this is for all 3 counties, not just PG.

Brickyard Station for example is looking beautiful with townhomes in the mid 300s.

http://www.ryland.com/find-your-new-...d-station.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,558,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
lol

That actually is a good location. Seems like they got a good plan for that area. There was a rumor a few years ago that they wanted to put a Harris Teeter in Accokeek but it got shot down.

Some of these grocers and their criteria for locations are hard to pin down. It's not like these stores are the caliber of Balduccis or Dean & Deluca. Yet, they are very picky in where they locate creating "food deserts" within the county. And the county is one big quality food wasteland aside from the oasis called Wegmans. I don't get Trader Joes either I've been to their stores and I'm not very impressed. Yes! Organic is by far more expensive than Trader Joes and located in Hyattsville, which would be perfect for Trader Joe's interesting food selection. Yet, TJ is nowhere to be found.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Some of these grocers and their criteria for locations are hard to pin down. It's not like these stores are the caliber of Balduccis or Dean & Deluca. Yet, they are very picky in where they locate creating "food deserts" within the county. And the county is one big quality food wasteland aside from the oasis called Wegmans. I don't get Trader Joes either I've been to their stores and I'm not very impressed. Yes! Organic is by far more expensive than Trader Joes and located in Hyattsville, which would be perfect for Trader Joe's interesting food selection. Yet, TJ is nowhere to be found.

I agree....Trader Joes doesnt wow me...Im not sure if it is because I went to Whole Foods first and fell in love with it. Mind you I was only 24

Im not sure if demographics plays a part of why these type of places wont come to our county. Even still, the outer Beltway (Bowie, Laurel, Upper Marlboro, heck even Brandywine) where the income is higher can suffice a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or even Harris Teeter. I guess we shall see when HT comes to Laurel sometime next year.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,976,486 times
It really boggles the mind why some of those places haven't come to PG. Given the fact that Whole Foods has a plant in PG, I thought they would have been in Bowie or Laurel by now. It just doesn't make a ton of sense. I mean no offense to Detroit, but even that city just got a Whole Foods.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It really boggles the mind why some of those places haven't come to PG. Given the fact that Whole Foods has a plant in PG, I thought they would have been in Bowie or Laurel by now. It just doesn't make a ton of sense. I mean no offense to Detroit, but even that city just got a Whole Foods.
Is it now safe to blame Jack Johnson and our County Economic Development Agency?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,432,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Towne Centre at Laurel | Greenberg Gibbons

It will be at Laurel Town Center. Youre pointless attempt to belittle someone is a complete and utter fail for someone trying to be "hip" changing their name to Khemistry
This is good news. I have never been to a Harris Teeter, so I look forward to this. But another key tenant is Burlington Coat Factory? Umph. I mean, you can cop some cute but inexpensive stuff there, but I'm just saying.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,558,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
This is good news. I have never been to a Harris Teeter, so I look forward to this. But another key tenant is Burlington Coat Factory? Umph. I mean, you can cop some cute but inexpensive stuff there, but I'm just saying.
Having dated a woman from North Carolina and having married a Carolina girl, I've been to Harris Teeter many times. My wife questions the hysteria over Harris Teeter as they in Carolina see it as just another Safeway or Giant. Harris Teeter is not boutique like Dean & Deluca or even Trader Joe's. The times I have gone to Harris Teeter, nothing jumped out at me as special or different than any other grocer I've been to. Personally I would prefer Whole Foods or Earth Fare. At least they offer something other than the run of the mill national food brands. Even Wegman's is refreshing which is why people travel 20+ miles just to shop at one. Not sure I'd travel pass a number of grocery stores to go to a Harris Teeter.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Is it now safe to blame Jack Johnson and our County Economic Development Agency?
Yes. I'm not a fan of Baker, but it's not really because he lacks understanding. I think he knows what needs to be done to PG, I just disagree with his methods. I think he has saw an issue and he's slowly changing the economic development situation, but it will take a while before it really takes off and PG sees the returns that it is expecting.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Having dated a woman from North Carolina and having married a Carolina girl, I've been to Harris Teeter many times. My wife questions the hysteria over Harris Teeter as they in Carolina see it as just another Safeway or Giant. Harris Teeter is not boutique like Dean & Deluca or even Trader Joe's. The times I have gone to Harris Teeter, nothing jumped out at me as special or different than any other grocer I've been to. Personally I would prefer Whole Foods or Earth Fare. At least they offer something other than the run of the mill national food brands. Even Wegman's is refreshing which is why people travel 20+ miles just to shop at one. Not sure I'd travel pass a number of grocery stores to go to a Harris Teeter.
I went to school in Greensboro, NC and Harris Teeter was a big deal down there. A lot of it stemmed from the fact that it was much more expensive than Food Lion which was really the only other major grocery store in that area (of course they have Super Walmarts down there too). I have been in a few Harris Teeter, the quality of the food is a significant improvement over, the typical Giants, Safeways and Shoppers. I think honestly more than anything, PG just needs more variety in grocery store chains. A lot of Giants and Safeways have become complacent because they have had such a monopoly on the area. I think Wegmans was just a breath of fresh air, even if it wasn't as good a store as it is.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,110,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
I am very cautious with endorsing new developments and even more cautious when the organization has a checkered past, but evidently Chick-Fil-A is considering a location at PG Plaza, according to the Hyattsville Patch. Chick Fil-A Eyes Hyattsville Mall Parking Lot - Hyattsville, MD Patch

Evidently, a bone of contention is the drive-thru. But even I can see that the parking lot is significantly under-utilized and could probably handle a drive-thru ONLY if it is only accessed from the mall parking lot and NOT from E-W Hwy.
What kind of "checkered past" does Chick Fil-A have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland