Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 PM

48 posts, read 183,774 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

We currently live in the District and are looking to buy a house. Found an affordable property in Cheverly and hope to go see it this weekend. What can you tell me about the area? I'm familiar with Hyattsville/Riverdale, but haven't looked at anything south of there.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 12:01 PM

262 posts, read 2,017,584 times
Cheverly is a middle class working community that is generally one of the safest parts of PG County but has a troubled school system. And I say this with love, b/c one of my good friends teaches at an elementary school in Cheverly. I had alot of friends who lived there growing up (went to school in Landover and Glenarden), and one of the things I remember is they have a very nice community pool. If you are familiar with Hyattsville, it's a little safer as there is a lower transient population (I.e. less apartments).

The biggest negative is clearly the proximity to Southeast DC and some of the more crime-ridden parts of PG county (Palmer Park, Lottsford Village, Kentland, etc.)

In other words, most neighborhoods are safe and it's still a good deal in terms of house values, but to be honest, you'll see the negatives when you go out shopping and dining. It's not an area you'll always want to be out and about at night, and you'll probably end up driving to Annapolis or at the very least Bowie to do your shopping. I'd recommend other places before I recommended Cheverly, but it is still one of the best options that is close in to the District.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2006, 07:49 AM

48 posts, read 183,774 times
Thanks for the input, pkoons! What you mentioned is exactly what we noticed when we went to see the house. While schools aren't important to us personally, I know they are crucial in terms of resale. The neighborhood itself is quite nice; the homes are well-maintained, seemed like a quiet area, etc. BUT--the immediate surrounding area, whatever road that is right off the Parkway--is horrible. There's almost nothing there, and what IS there is rundown. As close as it is to the District, it just "feels" like it's way out in the middle of nowhere. Cheverly would most definitely require us getting a second car. What about Hyattsville and Greenbelt for shopping? Aren't those closer than Bowie?

It was really disappointing, because the house is PERFECT, just our style, and the sellers are offering $10k in closing costs. Hmm. Lots to weigh.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,726 times
Cheverly could be a great option, i would not agree that it is less safe than Hyattsville. The "old" Cheverly does not include the apts along 202 and is pretty safe. They have a very active community and Parents resource center. Shopping is an issue, but Metro is close as well as 295 and 50. Greenbelt is like 10 min away on 295 and college park is nearby if your looking for nightlife. There has been a recent push among parents to get more involved in the public school there so that it is a viable option. There are also several private schools (eg St Ambrose) and even a Montessori public school there. People that actually live in Cheverly love it because of the close knit community. Check out their websites and listserv I think you would like it there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland