Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 05:08 AM

64 posts, read 148,493 times

Advertisements

Like the title says I am going to be in silver springs for christmas and I have a couple questions. First weather. I am flying from honolulu so don't have much in the way of warm clothes, but I was told that what I have should be ok because it doesn't snow this early during winter. Is this true?
Second, I am wondering what the skate scene is like? What are the good skate spots and are there any good indoor skate parks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 02:24 PM

Bump?

Old 11-28-2013, 05:05 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,567,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
Like the title says I am going to be in silver springs for christmas and I have a couple questions. First weather. I am flying from honolulu so don't have much in the way of warm clothes, but I was told that what I have should be ok because it doesn't snow this early during winter. Is this true?
Second, I am wondering what the skate scene is like? What are the good skate spots and are there any good indoor skate parks?
Weather is usually cold but no snow in December. Depending on your tolerance, a couple of sweaters and a good coat should work for your trip. Check National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report before you come. Don't know about the skating scene. Would recommend you checking our Silver Spring's website or using google

Old 11-28-2013, 07:16 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
There is an ice skating rink at Wheaton Regional Park as well as the Cabin John one in Rockville, details here: Montgomery Parks: Facilities - Ice Skating

Cabin John is an indoor ice area, and probably the much better facility. Wheaton is covered and semi-protected. There is also the downtown Sculpture Garden Ice Rink, info here: http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/visit/ice-rink.html They have skate rental, and it is a very scenic location. I would not count on any local ponds being frozen hard enough to skate on in December.

I hope your really did not mean "roller skating", but there are also some of those in Montgomery County.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
I have no idea about the skating scene over in Silver Spring but there are ice skating rinks on the National Mall in front of the U.S. Capitol, another at the Washington Harbor in Georgetown, one in National Harbor in Oxon Hill here in Prince George's County, and one in front of Pentagon Row in the Pentagon City neighborhood in Arlington County. Are you visiting for family or for vacation? Either way, I'd definitely wear something warm like Urban Scholar recommended. If your gonna be in sort supply of warm clothes, all of the outdoor public ice skating rinks that I named except for the National Mall one are close to retail options for you to buy something warm for yourself. Enjoy your visit!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:23 AM

Was thinking more skateboarding...I like to travel to new places and skate there. Lol

Old 11-29-2013, 05:26 AM

And as for clothes I just wanted to make sure it won't be completely freezing out. I have jeans and sweaters, so hopefully that will be enough. I was in Florida at Christmas time last year and couldnt believe how cold it got and had to buy some warm clothes.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:03 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Was thinking more skateboarding...I like to travel to new places and skate there. Lol
Most parking lots will have explicit signs prohibiting skate-boarding as they don't want the liability and other customers regard it as a nuisance. The area is not friendly to skate-boarders. You would have to search for a skateboard park, and I don't know of any offhand. Otherwise if you are staying in a neighborhood, you might ask your hosts if the streets are safe.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
You live in Hawaii and you're visiting Silver Spring, Maryland of all places for Christmas and New Years? Wow, that must be a first. lol.

Anyway, it's not a bad idea and it should be a dramatically different kind of experience for you. You will definitely want to see several attractions in Washington, D.C. and probably visit other east coast cities since you're coming from so far away.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,848 times
Get a North Face jacket, trust me it indeed gets quite cold over here and snow is unpredictable.

Check out the skate park in Shaw at 11th and Rhode Island ave NW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland