U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
6,938 posts, read 8,832,856 times
Reputation: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
They didnt want Michael Vick playing in the NFL after he paid his debt to society.
Who's they? The ASPCA? A lot of good that did. Last time I checked he's got a very lucrative job with the Eagles and his Nike contract re-instated. So much for "didn't want."
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Fort Washington, MD
671 posts, read 1,481,631 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I've been reading a book on how ex-offenders are relegated to a second class caste system where there is unabated discrimination. This bill seems to assist this class of citizens where as I'm unaware of any other bill that assist in any other profession. Do the job discrimination laws include ex-cons?
There is a reason why convicts are discriminated against. They have been convicted of crimes that have harmed society in such a way that it was deemed jailable.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Fort Washington, MD
671 posts, read 1,481,631 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post


This has been my argument for a while. I have lived with two convicted criminals, one of which spent two years in a federal prison. I've known many ex-convicts (not representative of who I am, but that shouldn't be neither here nor there) and it doesn't make a lick of a difference. People are so friggin' judgmental, most of it stemming from pure ignorance. They're so worried about a convicted criminal, not realizing that they know about a dozen people who're guilty of the same things the people they are so afraid of have done! The only difference is those people haven't been caught!

We have these arbitrary rules and systems in place, that state going to jail is supposed to be a punishment served to repay a debt to society. Once you repay that debt, you're done. It's like paying a credit card off. You aren't still be charged for a credit card or liable for outstanding charges on a credit card that's paid off. So, it's so funny to see the ignorant folk wanting to cast banishment and segregation towards individuals who've gone to jail and done their time. If we are going to continue to limit these folks who've done their time, ostracize them, not give them fair opportunities to assimilate themselves back into normal society... we might as well have mandatory life sentences or death penalties for all convicted criminals. These people do their time, legally, and they're still serving a life sentence in the public court of opinion.
There is a reason why any person convicted of any felony will forever be banned from obtaining a government security clearance. Jail is only a physical penance; a convict will forever remain a convict not just in the eyes of public opinion but by the government as well. And I know you are speaking in jest, but I am sure there are more than just a few people that would agree with just permanent life sentences or death penalties for all convicts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Hyattsville, MD
304 posts, read 680,885 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
There is a reason why any person convicted of any felony will forever be banned from obtaining a government security clearance. Jail is only a physical penance; a convict will forever remain a convict not just in the eyes of public opinion but by the government as well. And I know you are speaking in jest, but I am sure there are more than just a few people that would agree with just permanent life sentences or death penalties for all convicts.
That's neither here nor there. At the end of the day, certain convicts are eventually granted freedom. As long as that remains a variable permissible by the United States Federal Government, ignorant and closed-minded society can't skew those terms and decide that even though the debt was repaid, they must continue to serve a lifelong prison sentence absent time served. You sound absurdly foolish, and unlike other folk I've said that to, I'm a bit apologetic of having to say this to you. But, you're so clouded in the government brainwashing thing, you can't see why your argument/logic makes no sense. If you're trying to argue that a person sent to jail for 10-20 years, because they had less than enough marijuana on them to make one decent joint, gives the collective USA at-large the right to punish those forever and ever, amen... then you have some serious issues, as well. If you're trying to argue that a battered housewife—who the law failed to protect and she had to take matters into her own hands and murder her abusive partner to save herself and children—and who was subsequently sent to jail for 30 years, should be put to death, again... you have some serious issues. As I previously stated, there's plenty of Wall Street employees and corporate vice presidents, who'd smoke Snoop Dogg under a bus. The difference between them and a convict, is that THEY were fortunate enough to have not been caught. Those people not caught aren't convicts in the court of public opinion. Their livelihoods aren't being made impossibly hard. Not everyone in jail is a callous murderer or rapist or child molester. Even then, some of those individuals (murders) can change and become functioning, productive, contributing members of society.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Fort Washington, MD
671 posts, read 1,481,631 times
Reputation: 620
Hey Khemistry, please forgive me if I sounded as if I hold a particular position. I was simply affirming that convicts are always convicts in the eyes of society, and this is a fact perpetuated even by our federal government (which I do not deny that I am unabashedly always in favor of).

Personally, I think that there needs to be serious revisions to the criminal code. "Non-serious" infractions should be treated analogous to a red-light/speeding camera infraction -- you get hit with fines/jail time but it doesn't mark you for life. But rapists/murderers... I don't care but they will always be marked and should be so. Every human has the power to commit the worst of crimes, but the difference is that most don't.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
 
631 posts, read 1,318,083 times
Reputation: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Who's they? The ASPCA? A lot of good that did. Last time I checked he's got a very lucrative job with the Eagles and his Nike contract re-instated. So much for "didn't want."
I agree, LOL But back then the ASPCA, Dog Owners, and I beleive PETA to name a few didnt want him to ahve another chance. When this whole fiasco was going on, I actually wanted him to be re-signed by an NFL team. Its just a shame that he hasnt been healthy to do very well this past season. Even though some of the Eagles fans want him released.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top