Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM

377 posts, read 665,625 times

Advertisements

PGAtlas Home : Prince George's County GIS

Found some great information on the Tanger Outlet. Going to have a 100 rm hotel and be 5 stories. The actual outlet mall will all be internally facing, so you can't see stores from the roads. The Outlet will also have restaurants and the proposed 4 lane will have bicycle lanes (I was disappointed not to read anything about pedestrian walk ways - sidewalks).

Maybe I spent too much time in Europe, but what does the U.S. have against sidewalks?

Edit: Looks like the oxen hill road upgrade is supposed to include sidewalks and bicycle paths according to MPOT policy. At least that is my reading of this excerpt:

Quote:
Oxon Hill Road Sidewalks and Designated Bike Lanes: These facilities will

provide pedestrian and bike access to National Harbor, Oxon Hill Manor,
Fort Foote Elementary School, and the Henson Creek Trail. A portion of
these improvements are funded through a Department of Public Works and
Transportation Capital Improvement Progra
m project. These improvements
will also serve as a segment of the Potomac Heritage Trail on
-
road bicycle
route.

What is actually being approved is a little more fuzzy based on this (the above is MPOT policy, but this excerpt is what is being approved):

Quote:
The Department of Public Works and Transportation (DPW&T) has completed
initial designs for the Oxon Hill Road improvement project, which inclu
des the
frontage of the subject site. These designs incorporate the recommendations
contained in the MPOT by providing designated bike lanes within the roadway, a
side path along the west side of Oxon Hill Road, and a standard sidewalk along
the east side.

A median is also proposed along this segment of Oxon Hill Road
which will function as a pedestrian refuge for pedestrians crossing the road at one
of the signalized intersections. The MPOT designates this segment of Oxon Hill
Road as a collector with an 8
-
foot right
-
of
-
way (40 feet from centerline). In order
to accommodate the additional space for the four
-
foot
-
wide designated bike lane
along the site’s frontage, an additional four feet of dedication will be necessary,
unless modified by DPW&T.

The MPOT
also includes several policies related to pedestrian access and the
provision of sidewalks within designated centers and corridors, as well as other
areas in the Developed and Developing Tiers. The Complete Streets section
includes the following policies r
egarding sidewalk construction and the
accommodation of pedestrians:

So sounds like east side will have a sidewalk along entire length. That's good news for me.

Last edited by Fast GTO; 04-16-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,568,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
PGAtlas Home : Prince George's County GIS

Found some great information on the Tanger Outlet. Going to have a 100 rm hotel and be 5 stories. The actual outlet mall will all be internally facing, so you can't see stores from the roads. The Outlet will also have restaurants and the proposed 4 lane will have bicycle lanes (I was disappointed not to read anything about pedestrian walk ways - sidewalks).

Maybe I spent too much time in Europe, but what does the U.S. have against sidewalks?
Thanks for sharing GTO. Actually I remember the installation of sidewalks (on Oxon Hill Road and National Harbor Way) for the length of the project site was part of the DSP approval so that is supposed to be there. I can't remember if it is going to be on one side or both but they will have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland