Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you raise your family in Prince George's County?
Yes 42 53.85%
No 36 46.15%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
I dunno if I'd call Fort Washington diverse...lol

I have no problem with this area, given I bought here, but my anecdotal experience is that it is still 75-80% black.
I used to date a girl there and I would see the more Whites and Filipinos then anywhere else in Southern PG but they tended to be east of the Highway. Maybe living in virtually all-Black Temple Hills at the time skewed my perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Only Greenbelt or Laurel. Possibly Adelphi or Langley Park.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:21 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
I felt super, duper paranoid about moving to PG at the time. I knocked on every neighbor's door and talked to them before I bought the house, I monitored crime reports websites for months at a time, I read every article/document/website I could find on the area, I asked every person who I knew who lived in PG, I stalked city-data, I spent sleepless nights musing over what a big "risk" I was taking. I live in Lanham-Seabrook. And now I live here and it is basically a quiet, uneventful suburb (which is exactly what I wanted) and in retrospect I was being nuts. I don't have to deal with schools for another few years though so we'll see what happens when we reach that point.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well I guess you're answering the question but isn't it really a no if you plan on bolting once your kid gets to middle school?
No, not necessarily. That is one option. Middle school is an issue, but I didn't go into another one here. Which is the lack of suitable schools (public and non), for my other child, who is special needs and TAG. The County's approach is sorely lacking.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 AM

490 posts, read 924,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Fort Washington is definitely becoming 'less black'. Totally ignoring National Harbor nearby, about 30-40% of the people I see while going to the local grocery store or restaurants are white. I have also noticed an uptick of non-Filipino Asians in the area. Sure, this is anecdotal based on my observations at any given time, but I think that due to the neighborliness and progressiveness of Fort Washington it is encouraging a more multi-cultural atmosphere. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that there will be a sudden point in the near future where developers are going to crowd to get in on the Oxon Hill and Fort Washington areas.

I'm from Montgomery County..........but I will say this when it comes to FORT WASHINGTON that what you want to see more ASIANS and WHITES it brings more value to the location and that's the honest truth..........I'm happy to see the increase of Demographic in that area...........I wasn't trying to be racist....I'm a young black professional raise in MOCO and that's what bring value to the community

Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
I am home shopping in the area, we're a middle class family and PG county is not an option for us. I don't need or care about the best schools in the state, but I wanted a safe, at least above average district. At the middle and high school levels, I could not find that in PG county. If we didn't have that need for those schools, I would consider it. If we could afford private schools, I'd consider it also bc there are very nice areas of PG.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,724 times
No one has to guess about the racial makeup

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Try 65-67% Black.

That is about what my neighborhood looks like about 60% Black, 10% White, 15% Asian, 15% Latino and I am in Oxon Hill on the Ft. Wash Border.

My child goes to a preschool in Ft. Wash and is one of only 3-4 black students in the school which is majority White and Asian. Though that is likely because there is no aftercare and you have to have a nanny or family to pick them up at noon.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM

377 posts, read 665,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechlawyerinPG View Post
No one has to guess about the racial makeup

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Try 65-67% Black.

That is about what my neighborhood looks like about 60% Black, 10% White, 15% Asian, 15% Latino and I am in Oxon Hill on the Ft. Wash Border.

My child goes to a preschool in Ft. Wash and is one of only 3-4 black students in the school which is majority White and Asian. Though that is likely because there is no aftercare and you have to have a nanny or family to pick them up at noon.
Well, the numbers jump between 65-77% depending on the area.

Fort Foote is about 66% while Tantallon is looking to be in the mid 70's.

Highest percentage of whites was around Fort Washington park at about 22% with the area south of National Harbor between 7-13% with the high end likely a result of the Town Homes at the Harbor.

NoVA is looking to be the reverse.

Northern PG looks looks like it is more diverse due to a larger Hispanic population.

East of 210 looks like it is 70-90% black.

Good find. Will make an interesting comparison to the next census since I've read more about whites coming to the area over the last couple of years.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
Good find. Will make an interesting comparison to the next census since I've read more about whites coming to the area over the last couple of years.

I agree. Even in this forum we're getting inquiries from white people. And as the county continues to feel the effects from BRAC, more transit oriented development, and potentially the FBI move, I would imagine a noticeable shift in demographics in the next 10 years. At least in northern PG where I'm more familiar.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,724 times
We are an upper middle class family (moved here as middle class but the last decade has been good to me!) and am trying to decide whether to upgrade to the dream house in Ft. Wash. with an racially balanced Alexandria private school or move to an average house in NoVa that is $300-$400k more with great public schools and where we would represent 1-5% of the neighborhood/school.

Since I have become more involved in the community of parents here in Ft. Wash. via preschool, playdates and mommy groups...I have come to love living here more than I did before. I was pretty isolated before kids. There is something about having kids that seems to make you get more involved in local activities and meet other families. I now have made great friends with families from a variety of backgrounds that share my values about education, parenting and more and are great down to earth people. As we get together with our kids to do things I really can imagine staying here more than I did a few years back. I can say that I do feel the community here is more down to earth. I may have Bethesda/McLean/North Arlington socioeconomic status, but I have to say that I do not know if that community is really "Me" and it is definitely not my husband. I have a lot of family and friends in or near Ft. Wash. as a support system and that is huge. I am not sure if it is worth giving that up, especially with infants and toddlers. I do not feel like the crime over here is any worse than other parts of the area that are as close-in. I feel safe in my community and in Ft. Wash. in general though I use common sense as no matter where you live here, this is a major metro area with major metro crime.

I do think birth up to middle school is probably the best time to live here assuming you have kids. The years before they are school age are the most expensive for a family and this is one of the most affordable places in the area during that time for housing, childcare, preschool...the prices cannot be beat and we have some quality options for all three. The same house and comparable quality childcare or preschool will cost you more elsewhere this close-in to DC. I do think this is a great affordable area for a family before kids, infants and preschoolers and even during the elementary years depending on what you choose to do with schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland