Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,437,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Whenever someone cites urban dictionary, I die a little inside.
Come on, it's all in fun -- to be, anyway. And those definitions for country that I cited are indeed how it is used by many. Lighten up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,531,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I find it interesting that no one has addressed the OP's statement about big houses, big cars, and black people. lol Which is why I was at first confused. It seems everyone is this thread just dropped the second half and crated their own thread. lol That's why my initial response included other areas that had big homes and cars in the outer suburbs. But I would be interested in why black people were mentioned along with big homes, cars, and feeling country.

Black people in NY, Boston and Philly dont have big cars and big houses..... there is no PG county in the north but PG county does share a connection with Atlanta and North Carolina.

Black people in the south love to drive old police cars (Crown vics), put tints on them, and think they're "fresh". Black people up north like expensive cars, esp in NYC. Down here you'll get robbed over Timberland shoes like its 1992, but that would never happen up north. PG county is southern to me, Baltimore is weird because Bmore does have southern influences in the accent. A lot of black people in Annapolis talk like slaves to me and it makes since because Annapolis is a former slave port. Theres a small community in MD called "Tobytown". Theres a mountain in the state called "Negro". You know what eff it, Maryland is a southern state. $mk8795 I hope you're happy now.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 AM

Also the reason why I brought up race is because northern blacks and southern blacks act different to me, way different and the two often dont know how to embrace their differences.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,137 posts, read 7,586,619 times
As I sit here now I'm in Detroit and I can tell you honestly people drive just as many crown vics etc. as they do at home in PG, this does not make the city southern. These types of logics when determining a city's region is not accurate. Black people in many urban areas in the country drive crown vics, bubble cars etc that does not mean that particular place is southern. NY, Boston, and Philly are not the only cities that are northern if you want to group them together in comparison to MD or DC just use their city names instead of calling them northern or southern.

Ultimately the DC area in general is the primary mix of both worlds and unofficial borderline of north and south, but I never would classify the area or PG county in general as southern.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,742,707 times
I don't think the original statement is such a stretch. Many of the suburban jurisdictions in P.G. feel like they could be suburbs in Atlanta as well. Certainly, MD has parts that resemble much of the south. In particular, the lower eastern shore would be a great example.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,901,375 times
The lower eastern shore is one of the only bits of Maryland that can point to it's original roots. The rest of Maryland has been homogenized to the point of almost being bland. That whole peninsula is entirely different from the western sides of MD or VA. It could almost be it's own state.
Go spend some time over there and find out...it's a good time of the year to do so.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM

39 posts, read 93,107 times
I've said this before to a couple friends, and they've disagreed with me. I don't often go downcounty in PG, but I did a year ago to areas like Oxon Hill and Accokeek, and I felt like I was in Georgia.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
I've said this before to a couple friends, and they've disagreed with me. I don't often go downcounty in PG, but I did a year ago to areas like Oxon Hill and Accokeek, and I felt like I was in Georgia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I don't think the original statement is such a stretch. Many of the suburban jurisdictions in P.G. feel like they could be suburbs in Atlanta as well. Certainly, MD has parts that resemble much of the south. In particular, the lower eastern shore would be a great example.
Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy.
Places like Oxon Hill, Ft. Washington, Brandywine, Upper Marlboro, Clinton, Friendly, Accokeek, Indian Head, Largo, etc comes off as extremely southern to me. Feels a lot like Atlanta suburbs or even parts of North Carolina.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 AM

671 posts, read 1,547,608 times
I dunno... I think Western MD is much more 'Southern' than the aforementioned SoMD areas. Just passed through there yesterday and all I saw were the following imagery: Souped up muscle cars, pickup trucks, truckstop diners, trucker caps and plaid shirts, gas stations that have you fill up BEFORE you pay, early 20th century barnyards, etc.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,581,895 times
Every county in the DC Baltimore area has a rural tier or a rural "feeling" tier. Go to northeastern Montgomery county or out toward Leesburg on RT. 15 north toward West Virginia. That's what I like about this area. You can get a fresh change of scenery without having to drive too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland