Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 12,784 times

Advertisements

Greetings all-

Relocating to the Dc area, and the search for a liveable, reasonably safe area continues. We found a pocket of great modern 1950-60's architectural homes in Adelphi that looked great and reasonably priced (for DC). One home was put on the market and sold in less than a day.

Can someone give me some more info regarding that area? The exterior and interior of the homes seem well maintained and well kept. Is this a questionable area?

Thanks all for your input.

-Joe HC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Adelphi is a pretty diverse area. It borders Langley Park which is 99.7% Hispanic and does have some crime issues. You'll be right be the beltway and New Hampshire ave is a straight shot into the city. Multiple buses serve Adelphi that'll link you with Ft. Totten, Takoma, and Silver Spring metro stations and once the purple line gets built (Has a 2020 completion date) Adelphi won't be too far from a light rail stop. Its mostly families in Adelphi, middle and working class mixed with upper middle class as well.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHC View Post
Greetings all-

Relocating to the Dc area, and the search for a liveable, reasonably safe area continues. We found a pocket of great modern 1950-60's architectural homes in Adelphi that looked great and reasonably priced (for DC). One home was put on the market and sold in less than a day.

Can someone give me some more info regarding that area? The exterior and interior of the homes seem well maintained and well kept. Is this a questionable area?

Thanks all for your input.

-Joe HC

It is a great area and houses are being snatched up fast. My neighbors house went on the market about three weeks ago and is already under contract as we speak. Adelphi is close to everything including the Arts District Hyattsville, UMD at College Park, a golf course, Silver Spring, DC, etc.

You have described the houses well. Most are well kept. There are surprisingly affluent enclaves sprinkled about with larger homes. There is some crime as you get closer to the Langley Park areas but overall Adelphi is a pretty safe place to live. Adelphi is home to UMUC, National Archives II, and the US Army Research Laboratory, and it also borders the massive FDA research complex.

In short, Adelphi is not a questionable area. As areas surrounding it become more dense with the Purple Line, a growing College Park area, and the future Life Sciences Village in Silver Spring, Adelphi, may became a neat little island for SFH suburban living.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,784 times
Thank you so much for your input. I wasn't sure since some people talk about PG county like its a scene from Esacape from New York. How challenging is it to get to the Metro? I will be starting a job at one of the federal buildings in Suitland, and I want to avoid driving as much as possible. I do have a scooter that I can ride to a Metro station as much as possible.

I was confused about Adelphi because I have seen some posts on this forum that says avoid it. But in the other hand, i saw some websites that describe it as a pleasant neighborhood in a big city. i currently live in a small, quiet, and safe neighborhood in Minneapolis. We loved the old modern style of the houses in Adelphi, and the green backyards.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHC View Post
Thank you so much for your input. I wasn't sure since some people talk about PG county like its a scene from Esacape from New York. How challenging is it to get to the Metro? I will be starting a job at one of the federal buildings in Suitland, and I want to avoid driving as much as possible. I do have a scooter that I can ride to a Metro station as much as possible.

I was confused about Adelphi because I have seen some posts on this forum that says avoid it. But in the other hand, i saw some websites that describe it as a pleasant neighborhood in a big city. i currently live in a small, quiet, and safe neighborhood in Minneapolis. We loved the old modern style of the houses in Adelphi, and the green backyards.

The part of Adelphi closest to the University of Maryland is your best best to be close to the College Park and Prince Georges Plaza metro stations. I live in Adelphi and I can get to either one in under 15 minutes. Then Purple Line light rail will run adjacent to the southern most part of Adelphi with a station within walking distance to those neighborhoods nearest the golf course. The station will be on the west side of campus. But of course that's 7 years away. Greenbelt metro is not to far either. You can reach the Greenbelt metro in about 15 minutes or so depending on which part of Adelphi you live in. All metro stations mentioned are on the green line, the same line the Suitland metro station is on. So there will be no need to transfer.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Depending on what part of Adelphi you choose to live in, yo'ull either be closer to the green line or the red line. Mostly all of the buses on the west side of Adelphi goes to Silver Spring, Takoma, or Fort Totten stations. If you live on the east side you might be better off with College Park, Greenbelt, or PG plaza. The R1 and R2 bus lines serve Adelphi and go to Fort Totten. The C2 goes to Greenbelt and Wheaton (this is a long bus ride), and the C8 goes to College Park.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM

434 posts, read 1,117,913 times
I don't live there, but I think Adelphi is a nice area. My favorite neighborhood is the one on Riggs Road just north of the cemetery.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The part of Adelphi closest to the University of Maryland is your best best to be close to the College Park and Prince Georges Plaza metro stations. I live in Adelphi and I can get to either one in under 15 minutes. Then Purple Line light rail will run adjacent to the southern most part of Adelphi with a station within walking distance to those neighborhoods nearest the golf course. The station will be on the west side of campus. But of course that's 7 years away. Greenbelt metro is not to far either. You can reach the Greenbelt metro in about 15 minutes or so depending on which part of Adelphi you live in. All metro stations mentioned are on the green line, the same line the Suitland metro station is on. So there will be no need to transfer.
When you say "under 15 minutes" you should clarify that you mean driving. None of those stations are a 15 minute walk from Adelphi.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 AM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
I thought walking might be faster j/k
What about parking lot availability, there are some lots that fill up Very Early.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 AM

132 posts, read 289,895 times
I'm considering moving to Adelphi, any updates, safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland