Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Have you heard about the proposed Melford Village in the Melford business park? I went to the stakeholders meeting a few weeks back and really wasn't all that impressed by what I heard...a walk-able mixed use development with more senior housing, apartments, townhomes, possibly condos, and the hope that businesses will move to the area to serve the increase in residents.

The St. Johns property manager mentioned how only 63% of office space was occupied and this was a way to bring more business to Melford. The site developer talked about how future Melford Village residents will shop, eat, and work all within the community. Bowie's traffic director talked about how there will be no noticeable difference in traffic in Melford, Belair Dr, and 3/301 because based on the plan, most of the residents will work in the community. They also had no answers on how the school system, especially Bowie High, would handle the increase in kids. They just mentioned that the increase in students would be gradual over 10-20 years and they would adjust to the increase as the need arises. The developer talked about how the development would be connected to the three hotels currently be built on Melford Dr...the same three hotels that haven't even broke grown yet and were supposed to back in Spring/Summer of 2012.

It's like they were so far removed from reality. If businesses really haven't been moving to Melford, with some leaving Bowie altogether, over the past few years, why would they move now with this mxed-use development? Who would honestly think that most residents in the community would have the skills to work at the jobs in the community...jobs that may not even be there? Residents from nearby voiced countless concerns and received no specific answers. The St Johns manager talked about how they're very serious about the project and how they've spent over $700k so far on the preparation and design.

So it looks like Bowie may be getting yet more apartments and town homes, and only the vision and hope of more businesses to support those residents.

Melford Village Concept Plans Include 2,500 Residential Units - Government - Bowie, MD Patch
http://www.cityofbowie.org/DocumentCenter/View/873
Bowie, MD - Official Website - Melford

I go to Melford because some children's related businesses are there. I am not very impressed with what I see so far (which looks like a sparsly populated and almost deserted business park). I don't like the roundabouts, and the layout is awkward and confusing. And why, why, why do we need more frickin' housing when the area is trying to rebound from the bust, and housing is being built now? And, what kind of jobs are they talking about? Well-paying jobs? Tech?

As for schools, perhaps the Melford development will push forward the proposed South Bowie high school. South Bowie area students would be shifted to the new high school (along with the students in Melford, I suppose), alleviating crowding at Bowie High.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I go to Melford because some children's related businesses are there. I am not very impressed with what I see so far (which looks like a sparsly populated and almost deserted business park). I don't like the roundabouts, and the layout is awkward and confusing. And why, why, why do we need more frickin' housing when the area is trying to rebound from the bust, and housing is being built now? And, what kind of jobs are they talking about? Well-paying jobs? Tech?

As for schools, perhaps the Melford development will push forward the proposed South Bowie high school. South Bowie area students would be shifted to the new high school (along with the students in Melford, I suppose), alleviating crowding at Bowie High.
Seems like more sprawl to me. I don't think Bowie can support that much growth with no real job centers nearby.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:45 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
I thought PGCPS wasnt building anymore HS?? That is why they were going to rezone for Fairwood and Old Bowie to attend DuVal and Collington Station/Homes off 214 to attend Largo..

But BACK to the original topic...

Laurel Town Center (1st phase) is set to open in March

First phase of new town center at former Laurel Mall site is set to open in March - The Washington Post

Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Laurel Town Center is almost complete and it is 85% leased so far... That's great!! And it has a lot of "first in PG County" businesses.

The first B.J.'s Restaurant and Brewhouse in Maryland, an Outback Steakhouse, Old Navy, a Panera Bread with a drive-through window, Express Urgent Care, Kay Jewelers, Tutti Frutti, Massage Envy, BurgerFi, Blaze Pizza, Subway, street wear store DTLR, Noodle and Company and Party City.

Other stores joining those 14 in Phase 2 include Sports Authority and the first Harris Teeter in the county. Harris Teeter will open in September. Fitzpatrick said Panera's opening may precede Harris Teeter, and Panera could be open in the early summer. He said he was confident all the stores would be open by September.

Regal Cinemas will be the last to open, Fitzpatrick said, with the 12-screen, 2,000-seat movie theater having a target opening date of Nov. 14.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Laurel Town Center is almost complete and it is 85% leased so far... That's great!! And it has a lot of "first in PG County" businesses.

The first B.J.'s Restaurant and Brewhouse in Maryland, an Outback Steakhouse, Old Navy, a Panera Bread with a drive-through window, Express Urgent Care, Kay Jewelers, Tutti Frutti, Massage Envy, BurgerFi, Blaze Pizza, Subway, street wear store DTLR, Noodle and Company and Party City.

Other stores joining those 14 in Phase 2 include Sports Authority and the first Harris Teeter in the county. Harris Teeter will open in September. Fitzpatrick said Panera's opening may precede Harris Teeter, and Panera could be open in the early summer. He said he was confident all the stores would be open by September.

Regal Cinemas will be the last to open, Fitzpatrick said, with the 12-screen, 2,000-seat movie theater having a target opening date of Nov. 14.
Great news! This county is really stepping its game up lately!

Still plenty of work to do, but it looks like we are actually getting there!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 PM

Well another store Bit the dust at Bowie Town Center... DEB went out of business...

Opening in its place is.... Kirei Beauty

This is what they entail

"Kirei offers the same knowledgeable, helpful, friendly sales help you’ve come to know and rely on; the same affordable pricing you’ve come to depend on; an in-house hair salon, and an even broader and deeper selection of hair and beauty products from the world over. All to meet any and every woman’s needs."

They have not only 2-3 hair salons at BTC but a Beauty Store.. already there... sad to see this place go downward

Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Both Blaze Pizza and Express Urgent Care are coming to College Park. Though I didn't see Laurel on Blaze Pizza's website as coming soon. Is it in the second phase or something? Blaze is taking over the spot where Lime Fresh used to be by the bagel shop.

How many pizza shops can a city fit into a quarter mile? lol I know UMD is a large campus, but I'm thinking some poor pizza guy is going to loose out. The are is becoming saturated with pizza joints.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Quote:
Well another store Bit the dust at Bowie Town Center... DEB went out of business...

Opening in its place is.... Kirei Beauty

This is what they entail

"Kirei offers the same knowledgeable, helpful, friendly sales help you’ve come to know and rely on; the same affordable pricing you’ve come to depend on; an in-house hair salon, and an even broader and deeper selection of hair and beauty products from the world over. All to meet any and every woman’s needs."

They have not only 2-3 hair salons at BTC but a Beauty Store.. already there... sad to see this place go downward
But Gussini has returned. Hip hip hooray?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Poor Prince George's County. Still not getting the respect and still after all these years not attracting nice stores like Fairfax, Montgomery or even Howard County.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Poor Prince George's County. Still not getting the respect and still after all these years not attracting nice stores like Fairfax, Montgomery or even Howard County.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland