Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 09:50 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
PG is getting BBQ fever apparently.

Mission BBQ-Laurel
Urban BBQ-Bowie (moreso Glendale)
Dickey's BBQ-Brandywine
There's also Chuck's Wagon BBQ in the Bowie Plaza shopping center that opened not too long ago. It's a mom & pop shop and everyone that I've talked to who's had their bbq loves it. I awlays drive by it but have never tried it, but I think I will this weekend. The Gazette actually did a story on them yesterday.

Bowie-based BBQ business opens restaurant -- Gazette.Net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Mission BBQ doesn't count. The food is pretty terrible. When you walk into a BBQ joint and there is no wood for a fire, then walk out. lol At least you can see the bags of hickory charcoal stacked in a corner at Sardis A la Brasa. I'm thinking they boil their ribs and then try to cook them over a gas-fired girl in the back. Tasteless, dry, and tough.

In order of quality and taste (in PG):

Red Hot & Blue
Urban BBQ
Famous Dave's should be tied for second, but I think Urban has a more authentic taste and texture.
Dickey's BBQ (The McDonalds of BBQ fast food).
Mission BBQ. ( I know they are from MD, but stick to the crabcakes).

MISSION BBQ serves barbecue in Glenn Burnie area | MISSION BBQ

You failed. lol Great concept, but authentic? Way off. Where's the black grill out back with ribs that have been smoking for hours?

Has anyone else eaten at Mission BBQ yet? Let me know what you think.

Anyone remember Hogs on the Hill? I used to love that place.
I'm not a huge fan of BBQ anymore as Im maintaining this summer body LOL. but I ate at Mission BBQ this weekend when I went to visit my friends newly built house in Annapolis. The food great and service was great as well.

Famous Daves is ok.. The one in Largo is pure trash.. Menu was only a trifold and all it had listed was ribs.. nothing else.. way different than the one in Laurel. Not to mention the service at Largo was terrible, loud servers, loud customers and watered down drinks.. The bartender used top shelf for his friends but made our drink with plastic bottle liqour.. I give that location 6 months before its gone for good..

Shane's Rib Shack in Laurel is great, never had a complaint or bad service, same goes with a mom and pop BBQ in Bowie and Red Hot and Blue

Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Harris Teeter for Bowie looks pretty good. I like the brick look.

Shoppers say Harris Teeter will be good for Bowie -- Gazette.Net

Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Because everyone overbuilt.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:08 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Harris Teeter for Bowie looks pretty good. I like the brick look.

Shoppers say Harris Teeter will be good for Bowie -- Gazette.Net
Yes, I read this last week and got excited. Hopefully Glory Days stays and is a part of the new Marketplace. I don't know why there will possibly be a McDonalds there when there is already one less than 5 mins away on the corner of 450 & 197. I wonder if they're planning to just relocate to Bowie Marketplace? They constantly have issues with the drive thru line extending onto 197 and they are isolated from any other fast food/restaurant/shopping businesses. If they did relocate to the Marketplace, they would be across the street from Free State Mall and by Hilltop Plaza, which is where a majority of the economic activity is in north Bowie. So I can understand if they relocate, but there definitely shouldn't be two McD's less than a 5 min drive from each other.

I was hoping they could get a Sonic's or another fast food/restaurant that isn't in the area. There's still time though...

Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
Yes, I read this last week and got excited. Hopefully Glory Days stays and is a part of the new Marketplace. I don't know why there will possibly be a McDonalds there when there is already one less than 5 mins away on the corner of 450 & 197. I wonder if they're planning to just relocate to Bowie Marketplace? They constantly have issues with the drive thru line extending onto 197 and they are isolated from any other fast food/restaurant/shopping businesses. If they did relocate to the Marketplace, they would be across the street from Free State Mall and by Hilltop Plaza, which is where a majority of the economic activity is in north Bowie. So I can understand if they relocate, but there definitely shouldn't be two McD's less than a 5 min drive from each other.

I was hoping they could get a Sonic's or another fast food/restaurant that isn't in the area. There's still time though...

Upper Marlboro right off 301 by the Shell station. At the entrance to Marlton 5 miles south on 301.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post

There was a McDonalds at Hilltop Shopping Center that was torn down in 2010 to make way for Walgreens. It will replace the location for the folks over in the Belair part of Bowie.

My thing is people say Giant was expensive... have they not shopped at Harris Teeter?? Its around the same price

Old 03-18-2015, 05:07 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
There was a McDonalds at Hilltop Shopping Center that was torn down in 2010 to make way for Walgreens. It will replace the location for the folks over in the Belair part of Bowie.

My thing is people say Giant was expensive... have they not shopped at Harris Teeter?? Its around the same price
Harris Teeter has been attempting to lower their prices recently. But I think people probably enjoy the quality more than anything.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Harris Teeter has been attempting to lower their prices recently. But I think people probably enjoy the quality more than anything.
This is true. I have received coupons in the mail for $10 off for $50 spent plus with the Vic card you can save more. Not to mention I love the cleanliness, organization, and atmosphere at the Laurel location.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:03 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
This is true. I have received coupons in the mail for $10 off for $50 spent plus with the Vic card you can save more. Not to mention I love the cleanliness, organization, and atmosphere at the Laurel location.
They had Harris Teeter in Hampton Roads when I first came to Virginia 10 years ago. Are you guys just now getting one? I don't mind their prices. There are more expensive stores, such as Fresh Market, Trader Joes, etc. There are similarly priced stores, such as Farm Fresh. None of these stores are really that expensive when you consider what you're getting, and they all have sales and discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland