Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 46,265 times

Advertisements

I've posted questions on the Baltimore forum re: Laurel but was directed here. Does any one know about the neighborhood surrounding Whiskey Bottom elementary? I have a one year old but we are not concerned about schools as he will go to private schools when the time comes. I'm curious about safety. I checked out the area on google street view and it didn't seem too well kept- shabby yards, visible trash...may be an old photo so I'd like updated advice.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Whiskey Bottom Road Area is considered North Laurel, which is in Howard County. North Laurel has little to no crime. Laurel in general has a low crime rate. North Laurel has more McMansions and big homes than the other parts of Laurel. Its off 95 so the commute to Baltimore would be easier. Laurel is a clean city, most services are paid by the residents for good trash removal. In AA County, and Howard County it is paid by taxes.

Since that area of Laurel is in Howard County, it would be zones to HC Public Schools. Schools in HC are ranked number #1 in the state, so you could send your child to provate school, but they would have a good education in Public School. Laurel Area schools are very good as well as they dont have the "riff-raff". Forest Ridge, Gorman Crossing, Hammond, Laurel Woods, are all good schools. Even Murray Hill and Hammond are good Middle Schools while Hammond and Reservoir are good HS.

Last edited by EducatedBro82; 05-14-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upward_bound View Post
I checked out the area on google street view and it didn't seem too well kept- shabby yards, visible trash...may be an old photo so I'd like updated advice.
The area around Park Avenue and Washington Avenue looks messy. The older parts of Laurel are just working-class and sort of trashy. Checking Spot-crime shows a couple of thefts and burglaries.

However, the areas north of the school look very nice. Just pick the right house, and you would be fine.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,117,913 times
And on this one, I agree with Golden Age.

I think there are just a couple small areas of Laurel that are sketchy - the rest are just honest, hard-working working class that evidently don't keep up their yards nicely.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,815 times
I was actually just there the other day. The townhomes right around the school looked very working class but nice. I would be comfortable living there. It seemed like a front porch, know your neighbors kind of area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland