Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:41 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Sigh. If you read my post and the subject of this thread I was speaking of minorities and religion which has nothing to do with how close the election was. No candidate can win the white house today without a sufficient majority of the minority vote. Which is why Romney lost and the senate is controlled by the dems. We all know that if the repubs didnt alieanate half the country perhaps they would be in the white house right now. That was my point.
What do you consider to "minority"? To say that Romney needed "a sufficient majority of the minority vote", flies in the face of basic math. If that were true, then wouldn't that make the minority vote the majority vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:21 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Hmm.....

Washington DC...............
IDs cost $20/8 years. That means you can save $2.50/year to buy an ID. Are you saying that isn't affordable? What about the fact that homeless, and people over 65 are eligible for free ID? Is that too expensive? What is your definition of expensive?

And it's not like these IDs are just for voting. Without an ID, how do you open a bank account? Get a mortgage? Get a job? Cash a check? Having an ID isn't strictly about voting, it is a source of being able to do other productive things. If you are an adult and do not have an ID, it is likely because you do not deem having one as being very important. There are plenty of resources to get one.

Maryland....
That ID is good for 5-8 years. At worst that is $4.80/year. Are you saying that is expensive? There is also no fee for people 65 and older, which is a common argument. You and other people make this argument because you all hear it repeatedly as talking points on the news, but when you do the research, you can see that those things aren't true. Let me ask you, before you wrote what you wrote down, did you take the time to find out yourself how expensive it is, or did you just simply assume what you heard was true?

I am and have not defended Republicans. I do believe they used some voting laws to their advantage. I honestly don't understand or agree with stopping early voting, but I do think in spite of their reasoning, that having voter ID laws are valid. It doesn't really matter what their motives are with that, because the truth is, we should as a nation do our best to uphold the most important right that we have. If you can't even go buy alcohol without ID, why should you be able to vote without identifying who you are? And no a piece of paper doesn't identify you.

Who said I only saw it from the Democrats? You go on these long winded rants and you don't even know what you're talking about. I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN. Let me explain something to you, that you would find mind boggling, whether you believe me or not, I have never sat down at any point of my life to watch any Fox News show entirely. I almost never watch the network. I have also never been registered as a Republican, BUT I have been registered as a Democrat. Stop stereotyping me and making baseless assumptions. I haven't said anything to state that you should vote Republican. Not at one point. Look at the title of the thread, does it say anything about voting Republican? There are other parties out there. My point isn't to tell people to vote Republican, but it's to understand why people are voting strictly Democratic when they have views that match up with other parties? Why is that so hard for you to understand?
I'd imagine living the privileged life you've lived, $20 and taking a day off from work to get an ID is nothing to you but thats not the experience of a great number of Americans and the point of my argument. If everyone came from a stack of cash like you, my argument would be pointless but thats not reality. Why would black people want to vote for a party that goes to every length to suppress their voting. The Republican plan for black America is "keep them out of the ballot box" rather than a positive agenda of actually trying to address problems. You can't answer me as to why it is logical for a black person to vote for the party that explicitly tries to keep them from voting thru poll tax voter ID laws, limiting early voting and purging voter rolls of felonious names like fat boy Jeb Bush did in Florida to keep the "Jamal Smiths" of the world voting.

I've given you a thorough and accurate explanation as to why non-white religious/right leaning people don't vote Republican and you take it as an attack on yourself rather than a wake up call. I'll try to break it down as simply as I can for you. If Coca-Cola ran ads favoring white America and condemning racial minorities, why would people of color buy it? The Republican party is also a brand and do exactly that, why should people "buy" a brand that insults and demagogues them? The Republican strategy for winning minority votes is "suppress them anyway possible" rather than engaging them and treating them like people. The fact that people think of blacks who vote Republican as Uncle Toms should be controversial, but the GOP screws them over so much no one even bothers.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'd imagine living the privileged life you've lived, $20 and taking a day off from work to get an ID is nothing to you but thats not the experience of a great number of Americans and the point of my argument. If everyone came from a stack of cash like you, my argument would be pointless but thats not reality. Why would black people want to vote for a party that goes to every length to suppress their voting. The Republican plan for black America is "keep them out of the ballot box" rather than a positive agenda of actually trying to address problems. You can't answer me as to why it is logical for a black person to vote for the party that explicitly tries to keep them from voting thru poll tax voter ID laws, limiting early voting and purging voter rolls of felonious names like fat boy Jeb Bush did in Florida to keep the "Jamal Smiths" of the world voting.

I've given you a thorough and accurate explanation as to why non-white religious/right leaning people don't vote Republican and you take it as an attack on yourself rather than a wake up call. I'll try to break it down as simply as I can for you. If Coca-Cola ran ads favoring white America and condemning racial minorities, why would people of color buy it? The Republican party is also a brand and do exactly that, why should people "buy" a brand that insults and demagogues them? The Republican strategy for winning minority votes is "suppress them anyway possible" rather than engaging them and treating them like people. The fact that people think of blacks who vote Republican as Uncle Toms should be controversial, but the GOP screws them over so much no one even bothers.
SMH so you think someone who can perform the most basic of civic functions is living a privileged life? You need an ID to work. So the way I see it if you don't have an ID and are not elderly you have no business voting anyway.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
What do you consider to "minority"? To say that Romney needed "a sufficient majority of the minority vote", flies in the face of basic math. If that were true, then wouldn't that make the minority vote the majority vote?
My rationale was the following:

There are a higher concentration of minorities in urban areas. Per CNN's exit polls, 62% of the urban population voted for Obama. In the less dense suburbs, 48% voted for Obama. In the rural areas, only 39% voted for Obama. Simple math shows that the majority of the votes in states with dense urban areas would come from the major cities. In states with the highest electoral votes, there are dense urban cities with sizable numbers of minority voters:

Flroida (29)
Miami
Jacksonville

Ohio (18)
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Columbus

California (55)
LA
(HUGE Latino and Asian pop.)

Illinois (16)
Chicago

Maryland (10)
Baltimore
PG (the size of the minority pop. warrants its inclusion)

Michigan (16)
Detroit

New York (29)
NYC

Pennsylvania (20)
Philly
Pittsburgh

Virginia (13)
Tidewater area
Richmond
NoVA

Obama got 93% of the black vote, 71% of the Latino vote, and 73% of the Asian vote. Therefore if a majority of the minorities in the urban centers of states with the highest electoral votes are voting for Obama, then it stands to reason that Romney lost because he lost a majority of the minority votes. It's not the overall vote count that matters. What matters is what happens in the states with the most electoral votes. Romney needed Florida and Ohio and lost both. Granted there were some whites who voted for Obama, but their numbers weren't enough to make a difference if you completely removed the minority vote. We can play with the numbers to see just how many minority votes Romney would have needed to win, but that would take forever to figure out. Romney only lost by 4.7 million overall votes. There are a whole lot more voting minorities in this country than 4.7 million.

Voter analysis shows Obama would have lost in 2012 if black turnout had mirrored 2008 | Fox News

In addition, we know that minorities voted in unprecedented numbers. Now I'm not a betting man. But I'll wager that if the Republican party didn't sprint so far to the right thus alienating minority and gay communities, he would be president right now.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 AM

494 posts, read 804,671 times
Quote:

Oh please. Typical dem talking points rubbish. See Detroit, DC, San Fran, LA, Chicago and see how voting democrat has worked out for black people. Thus lets not go there about what party has been horrible to blacks. Despite what you people say ( unfortunately a growing number of idiots believe this lie ) it has nothing to do with keeping black people away from voting. For one voting districts change which happened here very recently and the ID's helped with getting people to the correct voting booths.

And btw.. How has voting democrat helped low/middle income blacks in PG?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
The more you talk, the more I'm inclined to believe you are a gimmick and not a real person.

I didn't realize people who had enough money to vote, lived a privileged life. I guess that means everyone flipping burgers at McDonalds have a 'privileged life' too because they wouldn't be working there unless they showed some form of ID.

It's interesting though because when I met my wife in college she voted and this is before she had a real job. She grew up in projects in one of the poorest cities in the state of VA, lived in a single parent home, yet she, her mother and all her siblings still had IDs and they all vote. I guess despite living in the projects, watching people abuse drugs and getting shot up, they were actually living the 'privileged life'.

How does one have the ability to even get off of work to vote for 1 day, but does not have ability in 8 years to go get an ID? Are you saying that you know people who haven't had 1 off day in 8 years?

Why would black people want to vote for Republicans? For starters, are you just not reading or do you just not understand when I state that this is not about voting Republican.

Look at the title of the thread. Do you see 'Republican' in the title? You know why, because that's not what this is about. Who said that black people have to vote strictly one party? Are so stupid in this country that we believe that we can only vote for one party? What happened to what is best? Did you know there are some people who ran in other parties in the state of MD, that never made a mention of voter ID laws? What is the excuse for not voting for them?

Quote:
Republicans are suppressing minorities, yet who is in office when poverty and unemployment is at an all-time high for minorities? Let me ask you a question, in what way has the Democratic party in the past 4 years lowered unemployment for minorities?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
My rationale was the following:

There are a higher concentration of minorities in urban areas. Per CNN's exit polls, 62% of the urban population voted for Obama. In the less dense suburbs, 48% voted for Obama. In the rural areas, only 39% voted for Obama. Simple math shows that the majority of the votes in states with dense urban areas would come from the major cities. In states with the highest electoral votes, there are dense urban cities with sizable numbers of minority voters:

Flroida (29)
Miami
Jacksonville

Ohio (18)
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Columbus

California (55)
LA
(HUGE Latino and Asian pop.)

Illinois (16)
Chicago

Maryland (10)
Baltimore
PG (the size of the minority pop. warrants its inclusion)

Michigan (16)
Detroit

New York (29)
NYC

Pennsylvania (20)
Philly
Pittsburgh

Virginia (13)
Tidewater area
Richmond
NoVA

Obama got 93% of the black vote, 71% of the Latino vote, and 73% of the Asian vote. Therefore if a majority of the minorities in the urban centers of states with the highest electoral votes are voting for Obama, then it stands to reason that Romney lost because he lost a majority of the minority votes. It's not the overall vote count that matters. What matters is what happens in the states with the most electoral votes. Romney needed Florida and Ohio and lost both. Granted there were some whites who voted for Obama, but their numbers weren't enough to make a difference if you completely removed the minority vote. We can play with the numbers to see just how many minority votes Romney would have needed to win, but that would take forever to figure out. Romney only lost by 4.7 million overall votes. There are a whole lot more voting minorities in this country than 4.7 million.

Voter analysis shows Obama would have lost in 2012 if black turnout had mirrored 2008 | Fox News

In addition, we know that minorities voted in unprecedented numbers. Now I'm not a betting man. But I'll wager that if the Republican party didn't sprint so far to the right thus alienating minority and gay communities, he would be president right now.
Wow, this is not right at all.

Having more minority voters in an urban area, doesn't prove anything. You are assuming that the urban population will still outnumber the rest of the state and you are assuming that the urban population is always majority minority. In Virginia, for example, Northern VA counts for 2.6 million people (and it isn't even entirely a blue area either), Hampton Roads has about 1.7 million (which includes some Republican leaning areas in places like Virginia Beach and Chesapeake), and Richmond is only 200k. Those are the largest urban areas, but you still have half of the states population to account for.

On top of that, Obama won VA because mainly because he won did indeed win the urban areas along with some of the rural parts of VA, but what we are considering "urban", Northern VA is 55% white. If we used your argument, that urban areas mostly voted for him, then that means in took mostly white voters in NoVA (which does make up a third of the state's population) to win. There is no way that he wins VA, or possibly even the election, if he didn't get white voters from NoVA. Just looking at some of the cities you listed: Columbus (most populous city in Ohio), Cleveland, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, and Hampton Roads are all majority white cities/areas, which debunks your point that minorities are decided his fate in the election.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
Quote:
The more you talk, the more I'm inclined to believe you are a gimmick and not a real person.
You pose a question, people answer it for you as plainly as possible, and then you declare them to be "gimmicks" or that they have an "agenda" or worse because they have the temerity to disagree with you. Is this a Republican thing? This isn't the first time you've made that kind of statement. I don't know why this behavior has become so regular for you recently (or maybe you've always been this way?), but it's babyish and annoying. Maybe you think this makes you seem more intelligent or you think you're calling people out on their bs or something, but you're not.

Republicans have worked very hard for a very long time to ensure that minorities have no interest in voting for them. That's not just black people. If that ridiculous video and this subsequent discussion are any indication, it's going to be a very, very long time before they win over anyone. I don't know how anyone could possibly think that video was aimed at black people. It wasn't. That guy went to Harvard law (!), he knows how to construct a convincing argument, and that wasn't it. It was aimed at white people who wonder why black Christian people vote for democrats, and he provided a nice, easy answer: the devil makes them do it! I wonder how naive you'd have to be to think that guy was actually talking to black people. Or how naive you'd have to be to think that voter id laws are about fraudulent voters. Or how naive you'd have to be to think that judges don't care about their reputations and would go against the grain on social issues. Lots of things for me to think about.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
You pose a question, people answer it for you as plainly as possible, and then you declare them to be "gimmicks" or that they have an "agenda" or worse because they have the temerity to disagree with you. Is this a Republican thing? This isn't the first time you've made that kind of statement. I don't know why this behavior has become so regular for you recently (or maybe you've always been this way?), but it's babyish and annoying. Maybe you think this makes you seem more intelligent or you think you're calling people out on their bs or something, but you're not.

Republicans have worked very hard for a very long time to ensure that minorities have no interest in voting for them. That's not just black people. If that ridiculous video and this subsequent discussion are any indication, it's going to be a very, very long time before they win over anyone. I don't know how anyone could possibly think that video was aimed at black people. It wasn't. That guy went to Harvard law (!), he knows how to construct a convincing argument, and that wasn't it. It was aimed at white people who wonder why black Christian people vote for democrats, and he provided a nice, easy answer: the devil makes them do it! I wonder how naive you'd have to be to think that guy was actually talking to black people. Or how naive you'd have to be to think that voter id laws are about fraudulent voters. Or how naive you'd have to be to think that judges don't care about their reputations and would go against the grain on social issues. Lots of things for me to think about.
You lost any credibility in this thread when three people questioned you on the drivel you talked about before and then you conveniently disappeared, only to re-appear to try to latch on to a new topic. Seems to be par for the course for you. When people ask you meaningful questions that challenge your logic, you are quick to tuck and run.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
Quote:
You lost any credibility in this thread when three people questioned you on the drivel you talked about before and then you conveniently disappeared, only to re-appear to try to latch on to a new topic. Seems to be par for the course for you. When people ask you meaningful questions that challenge your logic, you are quick to tuck and run.
I disappeared! Where, oh where did I go? You must have cried when one of the few people who continues to humor you lost interest. I'm so sorry! I did not know it made you sad. How, oh how could I leave citydata for a whole two days or however long! HOW DARE I! Again, anyone who disagrees with you is full of "drivel." Why would you be interested in my responses, since they're just drivel anyway? I made my points, there's no need to go in a circular argument for all eternity with these characters. I haven't seen anything meaningful on this thread yet, just people dismissing everyone else. I wonder how well that'll work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland