Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

Bishop E.W. Jackson Message to Black Christians - YouTube

I ran across this video that was posted on another section of this site that made me think about Prince George's County. Prince George's County is home to over 700 Christian Churches, yet Prince George's County 89.73% for President Barack Obama. I am very curious to hear the comments of those who voted for Obama. Do you think the points that this man makes in this video are valid? As a Christian, how do you justify voting for a party that may not reflect your views as a Christian? And even if you aren't a Christian or Black, what do you think the voting patterns says about the county's political views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Honestly Maryland politics doesn't reflect a state with a rich religious history regardless of race. How this state can support a governor who claims to be Catholic that openly pushes gay marriage, abortion and a whole skew of anti-Catholic positions is beyond me.

As far as Blacks voting Dem it is what it is but it's disappointing that more educated Blacks don't exhibit a little more political diversity. I think the state would be better off for it.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Honestly Maryland politics doesn't reflect a state with a rich religious history regardless of race. How this state can support a governor who claims to be Catholic that openly pushes gay marriage, abortion and a whole skew of anti-Catholic positions is beyond me.

As far as Blacks voting Dem it is what it is but it's disappointing that more educated Blacks don't exhibit a little more political diversity. I think the state would be better off for it.
It is a bit mind blogging. The voting patterns don't really make a lot of sense. I'm curious about this because the guy in this video brought up an interesting point about pastors. Is it that pastors are influencing people in the county/state on how to vote, or are people making the separation of their religious and political views? PG County even voted 51/49 against gay marriage, and you compared that with a mostly Republican Frederick County, which actually voted for gay marriage. Very odd voting patterns.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:48 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,407 times
I don't really think the original post was this guy's best work. This, on the other hand, is all kinds of awesome:

Cuccinelli Running Mate E.W. Jackson's Epic Watermelon-Smashing Campaign Ad - YouTube

You know what, y'all are right, I'm convinced. Stamp an elephant on me and call me a Republican, this dude has a lot of common sense!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I don't really think the original post was this guy's best work. This, on the other hand, is all kinds of awesome:

Cuccinelli Running Mate E.W. Jackson's Epic Watermelon-Smashing Campaign Ad - YouTube

You know what, y'all are right, I'm convinced. Stamp an elephant on me and call me a Republican, this dude has a lot of common sense!
Look I am in no way endorsing this guy, I didn't even know anything about him before today, but I thought the POINTS he made in the other video should be discussed and debated if it has merit. I understand you might not agree with his views but I believe it's possible for you to express that without going on an irrelevant tangent. It doesn't matter what this guy history is, the question is does his points have merit. Please if are not going to contribute to this conversation in a mature manner, please leave. Thank you.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Here goes a column that asking Black Christians why they are voting Democratic:
White Evangelical Asks Black Evangelicals Why They Re-Elected Obama

Quote:
Black Christian leaders have expressed their disapproval of Obama's policies while on Brown's radio show and have even urged parishioners not to vote for the president. Brown listed Bishop Harry Jackson from the Washington, D.C., area as one of them.

But he has been disturbed to hear that some black Christians have been cut off from family, friends, churches and even pastors for opposing Obama.

Here goes an interesting blog post by a Black Christian woman who changed her views:
Why This Black Christian No Longer Toes the Democratic Pa... | Her.meneutics | Christianitytoday.com
Quote:
Many of my debates were fueled by the assumption that Republicans were against black people. I became passionate about politics and obtained a degree in political science, interned with a New York assemblyman, and even got into law school (which I didn't attend). I was enthusiastic about the Democratic Party regardless of the issues and regardless of who was running. I was a Democrat—period.
Quote:
The transformation of mind was, well, mind-blowing. To be clear, I am not a Republican, and do not believe the party is synonymous with Christian values. On issues of education, health care, and immigration reform, I lean toward the Democratic platform. And though I have convictions about these topics, I am actually quite the Independent. But my approach to politics has changed. And there were a couple key areas where God began to change some long-held views.

Here goes a columnist that gives his reasoning for believing why black Christians vote Democratic:
Why Do So Many Believers Shun Biblical Values While Voting?
Quote:
One conservative black pastor gave himself a pass for voting for Obama when he told me, "Sometimes you have to kiss a witch on the lips so you can slap the devil in the face!”
Quote:
Here are some reasons why the Democratic Party, which in 2012 is the most liberal in history (they originally took God out of their 2012 platform and didn’t take a stand with Israel’s right to statehood, all in addition to being pro-abortion and adopting same-sex marriage), is the party of choice for the majority of African-Americans:
  • The Republican Party has written them off and hardly ever reaches out to them. As a result there is almost no dialogue. African-Americans have an incredible amount of mistrust towards the Republican Party and may tend to vote for a liberal Democrat because (in my words) it’s better to work with the enemy you know than the enemy you don’t know.
  • The majority of their high-profile leaders are not people of color (Clarence Thomas, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, Allen West and Star Parker aside).
  • Republicans emphasize individual liberty and are opposed to big government while the Democrats support a large central government. What’s the big deal with this? Well, blacks make up about 20% of the workforce of federal, state and local government jobs, which also connects them heavily to the unions, which vote overwhelmingly for Democrats. Also, their salaries, pensions and financial wellbeing are connected to higher taxes. Enough said.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Personally, I don't see what is so 'Christian' about the Republican Party?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Personally, I don't see what is so 'Christian' about the Republican Party?
I'm confused. I don't think there is an expectation that Christian vote Republican, at least not from the articles that I have read and posted. I think the question is, why are so many Black Christians voting categorically Democratic. Like if you look at the voting patterns in PG, it's no middle ground at all. A majority of the voters are voting Democratic, which includes Christian voters. If we took the points that have been raised at their merit, then does it makes sense for Christians to vote JUST democratic? That is the point. Not that these voters should vote Republican. It seems as though people are being black or white (no pun) with voting. You are either voting one party or another, with no in between. Is that a fair assessment of the voting patterns of many (of all races) in this country?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Why would black people vote for the Republican party that wants to disenfranchise black voters by restricting early voting and demanding a poll tax with costly ID cards as a prerequisite to vote? For some reason it never occurs to Teabaggers that actually being decent to people is the best way to get votes. Not all Christian blacks are upper class and like seeing poorer people screwed over.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Why would black people vote for the Republican party that wants to disenfranchise black voters by restricting early voting and demanding a poll tax with costly ID cards as a prerequisite to vote? For some reason it never occurs to Teabaggers that actually being decent to people is the best way to get votes. Not all Christian blacks are upper class and like seeing poorer people screwed over.
It's the same thing I just said in my previous post. This is not about voting for one party or another, unless you are arguing that is how people vote. The same issue that people taking with voting, there is clear evidence that Black voters take with same sex marriage. You can find many issues that each party supports that black voters, in generally do not agree with, but the fact remains within PG, only one party is getting the votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland