U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 PM

87 posts, read 191,363 times

Advertisements

Hi,
been looking for rentals. My realtor found me something in the aspen hill area . Near Veirs hill, connectictut Ave, etc.

It's a Single family
and would be rentable for 12 months at a time, hopefully reverting to month to month after.

The area around seems congested, and strictly functional ie - nothing aesthetic, mostly strip malls with groceries, pharmacies etc. NOt being great shoppers we like these things to be accessible but not the main feature of an area. As far as the houses themselves, there are a lot of close set single family homes. It was hard to get an idea of the 'hood, but many had vans and from the look of it, the occupants of the homes, worked in construction/landscaping.Nicely kept yards etc. but definitely not upscale.

If anyone on this list would have any input on the following.
1) is this area relatively crime-free- breakins etc? Only found statewide info so far on web.
2)is it at all close to interesting areas with some arts, non chain restaurants, good libraries?
3) any other info about this area woudl be welcome

thanks much, W.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM

12,245 posts, read 22,884,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpease View Post
2)is it at all close to interesting areas with some arts, non chain restaurants, good libraries?
I have lived in Wheaton for 30 years, and it is better than it appears to be. There is a very good library system. If you want upscale shopping you go to The Montgomery mall or places on the Rockville Pike or to Chevy Chase. There is a huge number of interesting ethnic restaurants in Wheaton.

The houses with a bunch of constructions vans outside might be a red flag. The parking in the area might be congested, or the neighbors leave trash around.

I only have access to the crime stats on the web-- I use Spotcrime. I don't think it is really bad, and the police are very responsive.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM

87 posts, read 191,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have lived in Wheaton for 30 years, and it is better than it appears to be. There is a very good library system. If you want upscale shopping you go to The Montgomery mall or places on the Rockville Pike or to Chevy Chase. There is a huge number of interesting ethnic restaurants in Wheaton.

The houses with a bunch of constructions vans outside might be a red flag. The parking in the area might be congested, or the neighbors leave trash around.

I only have access to the crime stats on the web-- I use Spotcrime. I don't think it is really bad, and the police are very responsive.
thank you ! good to get local info. I must say the parking didnt seem congested (each van in its own driveway) nor were there signs of trash around, all that seemed neat and clean, just hard to read cruising by once on a Saturday or Sunday if not from the area.

W.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 PM

12,245 posts, read 22,884,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpease View Post
thank you ! good to get local info. I must say the parking didnt seem congested (each van in its own driveway)
Good. I know there are some houses off Georgia Avenue that seem to have groups of single men living in them. That was the real red flag, esp. if they are violating the density rules in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland