Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Aren't you going to back up all of your claims? I'd like to know where you heard/read that most people don't like living in mixed use areas and that ALL mass transit brings crime.
This dude lives out in rural parts of the state. Forgot where, don't if it was Eastern Shore. But either way, I'm not surprise that this crap is being spewed by him! Ugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This dude lives out in rural parts of the state. Forgot where, don't if it was Eastern Shore. But either way, I'm not surprise that this crap is being spewed by him! Ugh...
Actually I live in eastern Baltimore County (by way of Louisiana) which still is much more conservative than Montgomery and PG. My local delegate, Pat McDonough, whom I voted for, is an instrumental force in fighting against tax increases, gun control, and especially against illegal immigration. We do not have any subway or light rail lines in this area and neither do we want any, and everyone here is against the gas tax increase and the toll increase especially since the gas tax is diverted to fund mass transit in Montgomery, PG, and Baltimore City. Because of friends I also do spend a lot of time on the Eastern Shore, Western Maryland AND Carroll County and a lot of us have the same shared concerns about the distribution of power in this state and the distribution and level of taxes, and the regulations coming out of the DC area. I know Montgomery has a bag tax, and PG tried to have one, and now they are trying to force it statewide. Around where I live, the ONLY O'Malley policy that is not universally condemned is gay marriage which people have mixed opinions on. The gas tax, rain tax, flush tax, wind farm tax, income tax increase, alcohol and cigarette tax increases, gun control, and the death penalty repeal are EXTREMELY unpopular and we have conservative Democrats.

Baltimore County's state's attorney Mr. Shellenberger was one of the leaders in the movement to keep the death penalty, and Baltimore County courts hand down death sentences more than any other place in Maryland and the county council despite having lots of Democrats also endorsed the petition effort against the illegal alien Dream Act. So even the Baltimore area, aside from Howard County is nowhere as liberal as PGC or Montgomery. Oh yes and YOU people down there should be against transit-oriented development too given that the Metro is already at capacity and you can't even get a seat most times on the train. And they want to build more housing by the train stations like this is Europe. And they want to bring this kind of thing to the Baltimore region too.

Now if you want to compare this to the state I was born in, Louisiana, maybe we can talk about how the gas tax is probably half that of Maryland's even before the increase, how the sales tax statewide is low, how its $3 to cross the longest bridge in the nation. If you are a middle class suburban family there or a blue collar family you don't have to deal with the ridiculous taxes that you pay but really do not benefit you, but only benefits illegal aliens and others who like to take advantage of the system while not contributing to it. And let's not even get started on the 2.4% tuition hike in Maryland to pay for the Illegal Alien Dream Act.

Thank God I'm actually leaving Maryland this summer.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Actually I live in eastern Baltimore County (by way of Louisiana) which still is much more conservative than Montgomery and PG. My local delegate, Pat McDonough, whom I voted for, is an instrumental force in fighting against tax increases, gun control, and especially against illegal immigration. We do not have any subway or light rail lines in this area and neither do we want any, and everyone here is against the gas tax increase and the toll increase especially since the gas tax is diverted to fund mass transit in Montgomery, PG, and Baltimore City. Because of friends I also do spend a lot of time on the Eastern Shore, Western Maryland AND Carroll County and a lot of us have the same shared concerns about the distribution of power in this state and the distribution and level of taxes, and the regulations coming out of the DC area. I know Montgomery has a bag tax, and PG tried to have one, and now they are trying to force it statewide. Around where I live, the ONLY O'Malley policy that is not universally condemned is gay marriage which people have mixed opinions on. The gas tax, rain tax, flush tax, wind farm tax, income tax increase, alcohol and cigarette tax increases, gun control, and the death penalty repeal are EXTREMELY unpopular and we have conservative Democrats.

Baltimore County's state's attorney Mr. Shellenberger was one of the leaders in the movement to keep the death penalty, and Baltimore County courts hand down death sentences more than any other place in Maryland and the county council despite having lots of Democrats also endorsed the petition effort against the illegal alien Dream Act. So even the Baltimore area, aside from Howard County is nowhere as liberal as PGC or Montgomery. Oh yes and YOU people down there should be against transit-oriented development too given that the Metro is already at capacity and you can't even get a seat most times on the train. And they want to build more housing by the train stations like this is Europe. And they want to bring this kind of thing to the Baltimore region too.

Now if you want to compare this to the state I was born in, Louisiana, maybe we can talk about how the gas tax is probably half that of Maryland's even before the increase, how the sales tax statewide is low, how its $3 to cross the longest bridge in the nation. If you are a middle class suburban family there or a blue collar family you don't have to deal with the ridiculous taxes that you pay but really do not benefit you, but only benefits illegal aliens and others who like to take advantage of the system while not contributing to it. And let's not even get started on the 2.4% tuition hike in Maryland to pay for the Illegal Alien Dream Act.

Cute rant. Nice to see that I have sparked a reaction! Excellente! And thank God, you're leaving for nearly two or three months! Adios!!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:

And this has what to do with malls? lol

Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
And this has what to do with malls? lol
Exactly. I guess I must've stepped on someone's buttons the wrong way....

Old 06-01-2013, 07:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
This echoes my discussion in the PG Mall Curse thread about better use of space when it comes to developers redeveloping enclosed malls.

Taxes Too High? Try Building Walkable, Mixed-Use Development | Streetsblog Capitol Hill

Watch what you wish for. Smart growth is tied to this...

ICLEI Primer: Your Town and Freedom Threatened

Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Mixed use development is one of the ultimate liberal brainchilds that goes hand in hand with transit-oriented development. They are trying to push this kind of development throughout the state through PlanMaryland while most of us are against it. I prefer the enclosed, climate controlled mall especially in a place with bitter winters and rainy days like Maryland where it makes no dense to expect shoppers to duck in and out of stores into the cold weather. Especially in the winter it make sense to park your car and stay in the mall and do everything without having to go outside.

Also mixed use development is TERRIBLE for quality of life. Where will your kids and dogs play?????? Plus there is no privacy, you can't open your windows because of the fumes from the traffic, unlike if you lived in the liberal nightmare of small town USA or the suburban cul de sac. There is noise at all times of the day when you live in an area that also has commercial or industrial development. Many of us prefer our residential areas separate. When I open my windows for fresh air I want the air to be fresh. And I want to be able to open my windows without hearing the noise from traffic outside, or noise from the crowds or the music from restaurants outside my home. When I want a restaurant with music I can drive to one. A lot of liberals that run Maryland just want to change our way of life completely from how its always been. So this has everything to do with liberal elitism and the governor's policies.

Plus the DC Metro is crowded enough, its already over capacity as is.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Plus the DC Metro is crowded enough, its already over capacity as is.
and yet people are still moving in the area.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:31 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
and yet people are still moving in the area.
Tom's response to that might be that they are the idiot masses that have bought into the liberal propaganda kool-aid.

Mixed-Use is the most efficient use of space in ultra-desirable, ultra-dense urban environments. The concept of shopping arcades/centers instead of urban multi-level malls is ridiculous, though.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:15 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Watch what you wish for. Smart growth is tied to this...

ICLEI Primer: Your Town and Freedom Threatened

Not at all. lol Smart Growth is tied to economics. Smart Growth has very little to do with global warming. What sense does it make to build suburban enclaves 50 miles from employment centers chewing up every availabel acre that has no existing infrastructure? Extensive networks of roads and highways would be needed. Infrastructure would need to be built. That costs billions. It's much cheaper to build on land closer to employment centers where infrastructure and road networks already exist. And it is becoming much cheaper to extend already existing mass transit via rail and buses to accommodate higher density growth inside the Beltway. It's just not economically beneficial anymore to plop down low density subdivisions in the middle of nowhere. I think the last of the non-transit oriented suburban projects are the ones you see being planned and built now like Konterra, Woodmore, Westphalia, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland