Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 PM

377 posts, read 664,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCP_1980 View Post
Fast GTO - you don't think $150K is middle class? In this area? Our household income is in the $150s and we are definitely not wealthy. Cost of living and income are linked. It's expensive to live in the DC metro.
I'd consider it upper middle class, even in this area.

Buying more than you can afford can shrink a lot of peoples income, even the wealthy.

The problem is that more income generally means more expensive toys and high standards. The 150K can quickly shrink when buying a $500K home and owning two $60K cars along with trying to pay for private school. But I'm not sure there are many that would consider that middle class.

I'm from the midwest and middle class has a different meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 PM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
If you think 150K is a minimum standard in the DMV region for middle class, you are straight up delusional and/or abhorrently self entitled.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCP_1980 View Post
Fast GTO - you don't think $150K is middle class? In this area? Our household income is in the $150s and we are definitely not wealthy. Cost of living and income are linked. It's expensive to live in the DC metro.
It is expensive to live in DC but it just depends on what your wealth is outside of your income. In general terms $150k is a lot of money, even in this region. Let's put it like this, $150k is twice the median income of PG. Whatever you do with your money is your business but I'm sure there are cases where people who make that kind of money they may not use their money the same way you do. If someone makes twice as much as half the population, it's pretty hard say they are in the "middle" as far as income.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:05 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My father paid for 6 years of private school and he was a cab driver. Now this was in the 80s so maybe the cost structure was different.
I went to Catholic school in the 80s. Tuition has gone up a lot since then, outpacing incomes, especially those of folks like cab drivers.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 PM

377 posts, read 664,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It is expensive to live in DC but it just depends on what your wealth is outside of your income. In general terms $150k is a lot of money, even in this region. Let's put it like this, $150k is twice the median income of PG. Whatever you do with your money is your business but I'm sure there are cases where people who make that kind of money they may not use their money the same way you do. If someone makes twice as much as half the population, it's pretty hard say they are in the "middle" as far as income.

People want to be labeled as middle class. It is a psychological thing. Most view being middle class as 'honorable' in some way. Making less means you are poor, and making more means you are a snob. As a result people try to fit themselves into the label.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Middle class is the norm of this country. Some areas, this one in particular have a definite upper middle class. That is about where it really stops unless you are pulling down mid to high six figures. Since the federal government is the major employer in the area I discount many upper middle class earners.
What was middle class just 30 years ago? That is what most immigrants strive to reach but the reality of the cost of living smacks them in the face when they try to earn a living. Our middle class of 30 years ago is wealthy to them and what they probably expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland