Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
From a bargaining position they definitely could. I just don't see them not providing options to conference attendees. Not all of them have money and I can't see them forcing everyone to either use their service or have them take the bus. Can you imagine the survey responses for that. Their book rate would drop significantly. The other option for them would be to focus on the other hotels at the harbor since that would be about 1600 rooms to cater to.

Wait. Are we talking about Gaylord or National Harbor as a whole? IF you're talking about NH, it would be very od to ban taxis on the entire property. Especially when they are allowed at every other entertainment district including Bethesda, Georgetown, the Mall, etc. It's nice to discuss the thought, but Peterson isn't insane. On the other hand, I think PG can raise the standards for taxis throughout the entire county and not leave it up to local businesses to fend for themselves to serve their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wait. Are we talking about Gaylord or National Harbor as a whole? IF you're talking about NH, it would be very od to ban taxis on the entire property. Especially when they are allowed at every other entertainment district including Bethesda, Georgetown, the Mall, etc. It's nice to discuss the thought, but Peterson isn't insane. On the other hand, I think PG can raise the standards for taxis throughout the entire county and not leave it up to local businesses to fend for themselves to serve their customers.
I am talking about the Gaylord but the cabbies are speaking as if there are no other hotels to focus on but the Gaylord. Although it is the biggest and could significant impact them It's not the end of the world for them at the Harbor. In reference to the Harbor, if that is a concern for them, they could reinitiate and/update their cab standards to reflect what their patrons interests. The article is clear that they need to step up their game to be competitive with the alternative transportation service. The more I think about the issue, although I feel for the little man, Gaylord has a lot of competition in the area and they can't afford to loose business due to transportation issues.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Well SOMEONE thinks National Harbor is a nice place to visit, even if a few locals think it's "not doing too well." Way to go National Harbor!!! Woo hooo!!!

National Harbor makes Cvent list of most popular resorts - Washington Business Journal

Quote:
McLean-based Cvent Inc., which helps companies plan conferences and conventions, is out with a list of the 100 most popular resorts in North America and the Caribbean based on its client booking activity.
Gaylord National Hotel & Convention Center at National Harbor is the only Washington-area property on the list.
CVENT LIST

I expect this to improve further with the addition of MGM.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 AM

692 posts, read 1,731,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic20744 View Post
I would like to see a planet fitness or some sort of 24 hour gym and a chipotle. If those 2 things where even in rivertowne commons also owned by peterson there would be constant dollar being spent and foot traffic. Even a Chic fil A would be great.

Im pretty sure the Kmart will close once the walmart break ground 1 traffic light away that a perfect space for a gym.
There are enough fitness centers in the area.

I will never step one foot in Walmart. The company is a burden to taxpayers. Everytime you shop at Walmart remember that over $3 billion in tax money is issued to their employees in food stamps, medicaid, WIC, section 8 housing and welfare benefits. Employees are encouraged by Walmart management to seek out public assistance. I will not support a company that refuses to pay a living wage to its employees or offer reasonable insurance.

The company also discriminates against women and minorities in pay and promotions. Products once made in America are now made in China, Mexico, and other developing nations because Walmart demands that any supplier that deals with them must reduce there prices by up to 5% every year. This lead to plant closing in the U.S. and the exploitation of workers (mostly women and children) around the world. The Waltons are scum and if you care about your community and your country shop anywhere else.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
There are enough fitness centers in the area.

I will never step one foot in Walmart. The company is a burden to taxpayers. Everytime you shop at Walmart remember that over $3 billion in tax money is issued to their employees in food stamps, medicaid, WIC, section 8 housing and welfare benefits. Employees are encouraged by Walmart management to seek out public assistance. I will not support a company that refuses to pay a living wage to its employees or offer reasonable insurance.

The company also discriminates against women and minorities in pay and promotions. Products once made in America are now made in China, Mexico, and other developing nations because Walmart demands that any supplier that deals with them must reduce there prices by up to 5% every year. This lead to plant closing in the U.S. and the exploitation of workers (mostly women and children) around the world. The Waltons are scum and if you care about your community and your country shop anywhere else.
If the government wants to issue food stamps and the like that has nothing to do with Wal-Mart.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,185 times
Quote:
I will not support a company that refuses to pay a living wage to its employees or offer reasonable insurance.
So what you're saying is that you won't go to most restaurants in the country.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Well SOMEONE thinks National Harbor is a nice place to visit, even if a few locals think it's "not doing too well." Way to go National Harbor!!! Woo hooo!!!

National Harbor makes Cvent list of most popular resorts - Washington Business Journal

CVENT LIST

I expect this to improve further with the addition of MGM.
That's really cool

Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If the government wants to issue food stamps and the like that has nothing to do with Wal-Mart.
Walmart employees make on average about $13,000 - $14,000 a year (below the poverty line). Walmart could offer affordable health care to all its employees by increasing what customers pay by about .40 cents a visit. All of the sheep that shop at Walmart are subsidizing the Walton's lucrative lifestyle and destroying American industry all at the same time. Pat yourselves on the back. Employees that have no disposable income are not putting money back into the economy. But don't let that stop you from buying cheap, poor quality Chinese products (70% of the items sold at Walmart are made in China). Just keep buying cheap junk that you have to replace in 6 months to a year. Grocery stores charge you more but their employees are paid a living wage and receive benefits. Although, Walmart has helped to drive salaries and benefits down throughout the retail industry.

Did you hear about a factory fire in Bangladesh? Bangladeshi suppliers of Walmart clothes wanted to upgrade their facilities to make them more fire-proof. Other retailers using the suppliers approved the plan. But the plan fell through when Walmart and the Gap said they would not pay higher prices to make the upgrades feasible. Profit of safety and lives. Makes you proud to be a Walmart customer doesn't it? It was only 112 lives after all. We have to have our cheap clothes! GreedMart, I mean Walmart can't be expected to give up even a dollar of profit to save lives, can it?

Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
That's really cool

I'm rooting for the home team and all, but if I had a choice of conference locations, Hawaii would be my first choice.

Hey, you think they could buy up all the other homes in Ft. Washington on the river bank and build a PGA Championship Pro Golf course? That would certainly seal the deal.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 06-12-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Walmart employees make on average about $13,000 - $14,000 a year (below the poverty line). Walmart could offer affordable health care to all its employees by increasing what customers pay by about .40 cents a visit. All of the sheep that shop at Walmart are subsidizing the Walton's lucrative lifestyle and destroying American industry all at the same time. Pat yourselves on the back. Employees that have no disposable income are not putting money back into the economy. But don't let that stop you from buying cheap, poor quality Chinese products (70% of the items sold at Walmart are made in China). Just keep buying cheap junk that you have to replace in 6 months to a year. Grocery stores charge you more but their employees are paid a living wage and receive benefits. Although, Walmart has helped to drive salaries and benefits down throughout the retail industry.

Did you hear about a factory fire in Bangladesh? Bangladeshi suppliers of Walmart clothes wanted to upgrade their facilities to make them more fire-proof. Other retailers using the suppliers approved the plan. But the plan fell through when Walmart and the Gap said they would not pay higher prices to make the upgrades feasible. Profit of safety and lives. Makes you proud to be a Walmart customer doesn't it? It was only 112 lives after all. We have to have our cheap clothes! GreedMart, I mean Walmart can't be expected to give up even a dollar of profit to save lives, can it?
Where are you getting those numbers?

Walmart Employs 1% Of America. Should It Be Forced To Pay Its Employees More? - Business Insider
Quote:
The average Walmart "associate," Wake Up Walmart reports, makes $11.75 an hour. That's $20,744 per year. Those wages are slightly below the national average for retail employees, which is $12.04 an hour. They also produce annual earnings that, in a one-earner household, are below the $22,000 poverty line.

On the other hand, these wages are far above minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. They also aren't THAT FAR below the national retail average (only 2.5% below). In a two-earner household, moreover, these wages would produce a household income of $40,000+, which, in some areas of the country, is comfortably middle-class. Walmart offers benefits to some of its employees, as well as store discounts and profit-sharing plans.[LEFT]

In this area Walmart definitely doesn't pay a lot relative to the area, but in NC for instance, I had classmates in college that lived comfortably off their Walmart salary, some of them even dropping out of school because of how comfortable they were. I think Walmart probably will need to significantly increase their pay for this area, but in most areas, making nearly $12/hour is pretty decent.

I agree with Molukai too, most restaurants do not pay well either. I worked in a restaurant as a teenager, where waiters started off making $2.00/hour which of course was supplemented with tips. There are a lot of jobs out there that contribute to the poverty line. Certainly you wouldn't stop going out to eat would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland