Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
That's not what I asked you. It doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about. When somebody ask you the same question 3 times and you still don't seem to answer it, it's because you either don't want to or you don't know how to. I will just leave it alone.
Hmm let's see here....

Quote:
I am neutral on this debate because I have allegiance to both sides, but I at least had to come here and point out the faulty logic and erroneous information being used here.

Then You Say...

Richmond to be technical is not really a major city in VA. > Utterly ridiculous

You could certainly argue that Hampton Roads is very dependent on military, but there are some very wealthy parts of that area in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach in particular.
So I Say....

"I certainly know where the wealthy areas of Virginia Beach are. Please oh contextually-clear one inform me of the wealthy neighborhoods of Chesapeake. I've got to hear this, I'm waiting on this one...I've got my popcorn ready!"

Your response?

Quote:
I'm just going to say this. You didn't read anything I write, which has become very evident. If you really think that I was suggesting that Virginia Beach is some metropolis city (Charlotte is not urbanized either and it is still considered a city, which was my point. It has nothing to do with how urban it is), then you are very misinformed. I acknowledged VERY CLEARLY that most of Hampton Roads is not urbanized. I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing, yet you are talking to me like I don't know this or didn't say this. I have seen you go on other threads, attack people for disagreeing with you, constantly put your nonsensical rants, without really reading what others are postings and then you have constantly contradicted yourself. I think I am going to take the same route Selhars and leave this alone.
Of course this is full of contradictory nonsense such as "Charlotte is not urbanized either and it is still considered a city" and unsubstantiated malarkey such as "most of Hampton Roads is not urbanized". I already refuted this bunk in my response and I certainly don't need to paste quotes where you and Selhars took digs at me on two other forums with non-sensical rants. I just thought this was an interesting response in light of your treatment of Cry_Havoc on this thread. But wait for it...

Among other questions I asked of you, which were really just to substantiate your foolishness such as explaining what "city" is not "urban", I stated the following AGAIN...

"I'm still waiting to hear what the wealthy neighborhood(s) are of Chesapeake you were so readily able to identify. I guess you forgot about them."

Have you told me what these wealthy Chesapeake neighborhoods are yet? NO. You were the one that brought up the wealthy areas of Chesapeake. This is my third request for you to identify these neighborhoods. You have yet to identify them. Maybe you haven't identified them because as you accused Cry_Havoc of "either don't want to or you don't know how to". So yeah, as you so eloquently stated in your response to Cry_Havoc at the top of this post " It doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about". So as it pertains to what you are attempting to bully someone else about:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Well I'll give it to NoVA, they are the battlefield that the Civil War continues to be fought on after 148 years and they don't even know it. For every parcel of cheap land they can pimp out, that is money, thus power, taken away from Washington D.C. and the wealthiest and most educated state Maryland. This land, thus wealth is put into the hands of Virginia's General Assembly (formerly the House of Burgesses), who has been pulling the puppet strings of the American Colonies/United States since 1619. It is no accident that what ended up being overused, obsolete tobacco plantation land ended up being the wealthiest counties in all of the United States (Fairfax, Loudoun, and Arlington and other NoVA counties are not far behind). Here's how it works.

The wealthiest counties in all of the U.S. are located around Washington D.C. but also Baltimore. You would thus tend to think the most powerful Virginia Counties are all in NoVA. But if you look at the list of the wealthiest counties in the U.S., you see the Virginia counties York, James City, Chesterfield, and Hanover. Who the heck are they? Well "delegates" from these counties and areas along the James River founded the House of Burgesses in 1619. They created a new empire that was capitalist rather than feudal like Europeans that of course was based on tobacco produced by slave labor. Their mission was putting down all rebellions of Native Americans, black slaves, and white indentured servants who would dare oppose them. Not to be outdone, the Catholics in Maryland, once the outsiders but blessed with a similar geography adopted the model and were equally as prosperous. Cecilius Calvert, the 2nd Lord Baltimore literally had to fight against the Virginians back in England to get the charter for Maryland because these Cavaliers (hence UVa's mascot) did not want the competition in the tobacco industry.

This isn't an American history lesson but we are all aware that the Declaration of Independence was authored by a tobacco planter (Jefferson) and the foundation of the Constitution, the Virginia Plan, created the House of Representatives to give political power to tobacco planters and their slaves who were counted for apportionment under the 3/5 compromise. It's no accident that 4 of the first 6 Presidents were Virginians and 6 of the first 10 were born in Virginia as the representation of the Electoral College is also based on the Virginia Plan's system of apportionment.

We also all know the Civil War broke out and the capital of the Confederacy was moved from Montgomery in the Deep South where it would have been relatively isolated to the Virginia Capitol Building, home of the House of Burgesses, now known as the General Assembly. Richmond's power was now in industry that had been funded by tobacco money, but Maryland had long seen the writing on the wall as had sunk its tobacco wealth (tobacco was on the wane by the 19th century) and the capital investment of others into the emergence of Baltimore, thus giving it the only large industrial city south of the Mason-Dixon.

Well all know the South lost, or did they? Eight days after the surrender of General Lee, with the federal government having revoked all of the Confederate's Bank Charters, Richmond financiers founded a newly chartered bank, First & Merchants, of which General Lee (the massive Arlington land holder) was a customer. In Charlotte, NC during Reconstruction a few investors organized by a Confederate Major Clement Dowd and his law partner, North Carolina's Confederate Governor Zebulon Vance scraped together some tobacco money that hadn't been dispossessed and founded Commercial National Bank. Dowd and Vance got themselves elected to Congress but of course could not be seated as Southerners who had relinquished their citizenship. But after Reconstruction had ended, Dowd and Vance were able to be seated in the House of Representatives and Senate and were able to secure financial appointments within the federal government. So while anti-trust laws were breaking up other banks, the investor descendants of Dowd's bank were somehow able to navigate these pitfalls to financial supremacy in the old Confederacy.

From the 1950s to 1980s, the bank that had been Commercial National Bank absorbed most other North Carolina Banks created with tobacco money. During this time, the bank that had been First & Merchants gobbled up most of the Virginia banks, particularly those that owned major assets in Northern Virginia. When Reagan came to office and deregulation ensued, these banks were now able to cross state lines. First & Merchants (now Sovran) merged with C&S (the "bank" of Georgia and South Carolina largely bankrolled by Coca Cola money). Commercial National Bank, now North Carolina National Bank, purchased First Republic Bank (Texas's "bank") from the FDIC which had been serendipitously made "available" to the federal government through the previous "management" of George Bush Sr.'s younger brother. NCNB then merged with C&S/Sovran to become NationsBank which then gobbled up Bank South, Boatmen's (basically every state along "Route 66" from Missouri to New Mexico) and Barnett (Florida's largest bank). So by 1997, "NationsBank" had managed to resurrect the Confederate States of America as a financial institution. But NationsBank became more powerful and successful than the CSA ever could have dreamed they could be without firing one shell onto Ft. Sumter. In 1998 NationsBank acquired BankAmerica out of San Francisco and became Bank of America, the financial institution with the second largest holdings in all of the United States.

So who is first? Remember how Maryland turned its back on the Confederacy (or had its back turned for it) and industrialized? Well the North had a very different model. One New York financier in his father's London-based bank used his father's firm to consolidate with the chief financiers of Philadelphia, the Drexels (like Drexel University). When old man Drexel died, the young New York financier consolidated the Philly bank with his father's London bank, his own bank, and a Parisian bank to become one of the largest banks in the world. This bank then became the underwriters to the most successful enterprises in the United States. This includes AT&T, General Electric, every major railroad in the American Manufacturing Belt, and most importantly: Steel. And remember, Baltimore was not only the chief railroad hub in all of the United States but would eventually house the largest steel mill in the world at Sparrows Point. So this financial institution now has the largest holdings of any "bank" in all of the United States. It IS the North. We know it as JP Morgan Chase.

So who owns the the ground beneath your feet? The Civil War is still being fought, literally on the same plots of land near Bull Run and Arlington National Cemetery that it was in the 1860s. Much of the federal government's operations in Arlington (including the cemetery) are on General Lee's old plantation land. The Pentagon was actually supposed to be built on this land too but the feds opted to build it on the site of an old airport. But according to some people in these forums, NoVA's economic value (especially Arlington and Alexandria) have nothing to do with its history. During the era of financial deregulation, Maryland saw its "own" state bank (you remember MBNA?) get gobbled up by NationsBank in 1992. So I do not blame the state of Maryland in the least for having stringent business regulations. We are all on this thread debating a battle Virginia and Maryland have been having since 1632. However, every business that chooses to locate in NoVA is employing people giving their tax dollars, thus more power, to the Virginia General Assembly (aka the House of Burgesses), stuntin' and frontin' since 1619 baby!
Yes VA values the southern repressed labor and growth for the rich mentality while MD tries to promote policies that help everyone.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
That's not what I asked you. It doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about. When somebody ask you the same question 3 times and you still don't seem to answer it, it's because you either don't want to or you don't know how to. I will just leave it alone.
It is what you asked and you have gotten the answer 3 times.

It doesnt seem like you understand the answer. I cant help you there.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,000 times
We have friends who live in Manassas and they very clearly dislike it and want out as soon as possible, although I'm not 100% sure why. It takes the wife almost two hours to get to work in Fairfax in the morning, I know she doesn't like that. There was also an incident involving youths sending the husband obscene notes in the mailbox and something about a dog statue they have on their front porch being a victim...

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Hmm let's see here....

So I Say....

"I certainly know where the wealthy areas of Virginia Beach are. Please oh contextually-clear one inform me of the wealthy neighborhoods of Chesapeake. I've got to hear this, I'm waiting on this one...I've got my popcorn ready!"

Your response?

Of course this is full of contradictory nonsense such as "Charlotte is not urbanized either and it is still considered a city" and unsubstantiated malarkey such as "most of Hampton Roads is not urbanized". I already refuted this bunk in my response and I certainly don't need to paste quotes where you and Selhars took digs at me on two other forums with non-sensical rants. I just thought this was an interesting response in light of your treatment of Cry_Havoc on this thread. But wait for it...

Among other questions I asked of you, which were really just to substantiate your foolishness such as explaining what "city" is not "urban", I stated the following AGAIN...

"I'm still waiting to hear what the wealthy neighborhood(s) are of Chesapeake you were so readily able to identify. I guess you forgot about them."

Have you told me what these wealthy Chesapeake neighborhoods are yet? NO. You were the one that brought up the wealthy areas of Chesapeake. This is my third request for you to identify these neighborhoods. You have yet to identify them. Maybe you haven't identified them because as you accused Cry_Havoc of "either don't want to or you don't know how to". So yeah, as you so eloquently stated in your response to Cry_Havoc at the top of this post " It doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about". So as it pertains to what you are attempting to bully someone else about:
I don't waste my time with people who have no life that don't have reading comprehension skills, but I'm sure you read and understood that.

Why do you keep even responding to me?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is what you asked and you have gotten the answer 3 times.

It doesnt seem like you understand the answer. I cant help you there.
No it's not but it doesn't matter. I asked you which roads in VA do you consider bad as far as traffic was concerned. You just kept repeating that traffic is worse. That isn't really answering the question. I was just curious about the roads in which you have had the worse commutes on. Why does something so simple have to be so difficult?

I understand if you don't want to answer it.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
No it's not but it doesn't matter. I asked you which roads in VA do you consider bad as far as traffic was concerned. You just kept repeating that traffic is worse. That isn't really answering the question. I was just curious about the roads in which you have had the worse commutes on. Why does something so simple have to be so difficult?

I understand if you don't want to answer it.
All of them.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,000 times
I think it's funny how much calmer the NOVA version of this thread on the northern virginia board is... most of the responses are something like "my job is here, it just feels better here, I've got nothing against MD." Smart NOVA'ers, didn't take OP's bait!! Based on most of my friends in NOVA, they don't even know what's going on in MD or PG county, nor do they care. They have important things to deal with, like calculating when they can leave their houses to avoid traffic.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I think it's funny how much calmer the NOVA version of this thread on the northern virginia board is... most of the responses are something like "my job is here, it just feels better here, I've got nothing against MD." Smart NOVA'ers, didn't take OP's bait!! Based on most of my friends in NOVA, they don't even know what's going on in MD or PG county, nor do they care. They have important things to deal with, like calculating when they can leave their houses to avoid traffic.
Good. Keep them out so MD can remain better.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
They have important things to deal with, like calculating when they can leave their houses to avoid traffic.
Good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland