Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It. Is not factual because it is a picture of a small portion of a road. A very small portion. At one time. It is irrelevant to a region at all times. It would be like going to a mall in VA and taking a picture of 39 minute and then saying most people in VA have beards because 30 of the people in the picture had beards.
You said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Ive seen it backed up both ways.
The "it" was the Wilson Bridge.

You are trying to move the goal post. You said, that the Wilson Bridge gets backed up both ways, I showed you a picture of the Wilson Bridge and how far the traffic was backed up from that point and now you are saying that it was just a small portion of the road?

What are we talking about the Wilson Bridge or something else? Please tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Let's be honest, if I didn't post anything, the first thing people like cry_havoc or zimar would say, is you have no proof, you have no proof. You know they are the type of posters that you have to put something in such clear view that they cannot deny it.
Oooh, so there are more than one of us in this little fraternity now!

Dramatic Chipmunk - YouTube

Little does pgblahblahblah know, everything is going according to my master plan...

Welcome, bowian, welcome... Muahahahaha!!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
You said before:

The "it" was the Wilson Bridge.

You are trying to move the goal post. You said, that the Wilson Bridge gets backed up both ways, I showed you a picture of the Wilson Bridge and how far the traffic was backed up from that point and now you are saying that it was just a small portion of the road?

What are we talking about the Wilson Bridge or something else? Please tell me.
One picture at one time doesnt disprove that. Nobody is moving the goal post. If you want to say that at the specific time for a minute on that specific date you have proof of that. However, you have proof of nothing else.

Everyone is mocking you for this. I genuinely think you dont understand why you are failing. I am sure you feel you proved your point, but everyone else is rolling their eyes at you.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 06-14-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
The question is are you okay? Why would you randomly insert yourself in a conversation that you were not a part of? Why would you continue to make up nonsensical excuses. You tell me that I can't use an anecdote, but then you preceded to do it. That is the definition of being defensive. You don't see it, but if you did you wouldn't be defensive.
I choose to comment as I darn well please. This is a public forum, not YOUR forum

Quote:
On top of that saying stuff like "Just sayin'" is just extra. It seems like you are going out of your way to be mean spirited with your post. You are free to disagree but you add extra-ness it gives a ton like you are making it personal.
That is your opinion. A rather unusual opinion, but hey.

Quote:
There are a lot of people like yourself that live in PG that are insecure about your home and you always feel the need to attack someone that says anything remotely negative.
Chile, bye. You know nothing about me. I am not insecure about PG, my home or Maryland.
I defend them, like you defend Virginia.

Quote:
That is the reason why you would go out of your way to respond to me.
I didn't respond directly to you, actually. It's past time that you got over yourself.

Quote:
You know this is the truth. It's interesting because the posters that seem to have the biggest issues with me all have something in common, but I will let you figure that out.
Actually, it's more like you have issues with several posters, and you're the common link. But you turn it around so you appear to be some victim. Please. Martyrdom doesn't become you.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimar View Post
oooh, so there are more than one of us in this little fraternity now!

dramatic chipmunk - youtube

little does pgblahblahblah know, everything is going according to my master plan...

Welcome, bowian, welcome... muahahahaha!!
loool!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Oooh, so there are more than one of us in this little fraternity now!

Dramatic Chipmunk - YouTube

Little does pgblahblahblah know, everything is going according to my master plan...

Welcome, bowian, welcome... Muahahahaha!!
I have to admit you're pretty funny. You obviously have no clue what I am talking about though. Other people see the same thing I see with you all. Carry on.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
66 is worst, but only slightly. The reality is 270 traffic expands much further than 66. The worst parts of 66 are close to the Beltway portion of it. Once you get pass Route 50, it is a much easier road to drive in. With 270 the traffic goes all the way into Frederick County. 495 (around MoCo and around Laurel/College Park/Greenbelt) is bad, East West Highway is bad, Rockville Pike is bad, University Blvd is bad, Colesville Road is bad and the only highway to go East to West without traffic light in MoCo is ICC? Really? At least VA has 29 and 50. Granted they aren't the greatest options because they too see a lot of traffic, but to me their road system is more balanced in VA, but it is also more used.

I agree both states can do better which has been my point all along. There are a lot of people commenting on here that either don't frequent or rarely go to both places. At least you are one of the few that have been to both areas.
Yeah, I would say 270s traffic tie ups go all the way to Frederick and even continue up 70 from there, but I think that makes it more like 95 than it does 66. 66 is a bit different. It gets wider after 50, while 270 gets narrower as it goes further out. I don't mind 66 out west, but from 50 to the beltway, and even inside the beltway, is the worst of all. I really want to see Virginia fix that section. I don't mean widening, well, except for not taking away perfectly good lanes during non rush periods. I think they would need wider shoulders to do that though. I don't use 66 as much as I used to, but when I do, the traffic feels much worse than what I see on 270 everyday. However, both suck really bad. There's just too many people commuting from far out places. Every road leading towards the Beltway is bad. The Beltway itself is just at times.

As for east-west roads, both states are really bad. I'm spoiled by the ICC since I live near it's west end. It really is a very nice alternative. The way Virginia is sprawling their east west roadways are woefully inadequate. It seems citizens fighting the Bi-County Parkway, or whatever it's called, seem to agree with me on that.

This area road system, really sucks, whether you're in MD or VA. I think Maryland's roads are generally better overall, but I'm talking about the roads themselves (striping, signage, etc...). Traffic sucks in both states.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hey, welcome back Steelers10, good to see you again. I enjoyed reading your posts. I had never seen the difference between MD and VA presented in that manner, it made for a good read.
Thanks, I like to pop in every now and then. There have been a couple of threads in this forum (including this one) that could have used your pragmatism!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yeah, I would say 270s traffic tie ups go all the way to Frederick and even continue up 70 from there, but I think that makes it more like 95 than it does 66. 66 is a bit different. It gets wider after 50, while 270 gets narrower as it goes further out. I don't mind 66 out west, but from 50 to the beltway, and even inside the beltway, is the worst of all. I really want to see Virginia fix that section. I don't mean widening, well, except for not taking away perfectly good lanes during non rush periods. I think they would need wider shoulders to do that though. I don't use 66 as much as I used to, but when I do, the traffic feels much worse than what I see on 270 everyday. However, both suck really bad. There's just too many people commuting from far out places. Every road leading towards the Beltway is bad. The Beltway itself is just at times.

As for east-west roads, both states are really bad. I'm spoiled by the ICC since I live near it's west end. It really is a very nice alternative. The way Virginia is sprawling their east west roadways are woefully inadequate. It seems citizens fighting the Bi-County Parkway, or whatever it's called, seem to agree with me on that.

This area road system, really sucks, whether you're in MD or VA. I think Maryland's roads are generally better overall, but I'm talking about the roads themselves (striping, signage, etc...). Traffic sucks in both states.
Thanks for getting this thread back on track. When semantics are attacked rather than looking at practical function then the topic has been officially derailed. I saw a picture apparently from a road that intersects with Telegraph Road. So that road is in Northern Virginia and was empty. So yes, that falls in the category of one of ALL roads in NoVA so yes, it can be conceded that ALL roads in NoVA are not busy at ALL times throughout the day. I'm no Alexandria expert but if this is the Telegraph Road that has the interchange with the Beltway just across the Wilson Bridge, isn't Telegraph Road almost entirely residential with golf courses, a few strip malls, and a bunch of trees? Would Telegraph Road be necessarily dumping a massive amount of traffic onto some unidentified street at 8:30 in the morning?

Other pictures showed traffic going onto the Wilson Bridge into Virginia but apparently little traffic heading into Maryland. So can it be conceded at some point of the day on some day in mid-June that more traffic is heading into Virginia than out of it? My wife has a friend who teaches in Alexandria and to the best of her knowledge is working until the middle of next week. On the other hand, PG County Schools have what, 30,000 employees including teachers? Could it be possible that a great deal of traffic is cut down without a good chunk of these employees and parents of students clogging roadways? Also the University of Maryland College Park, another large PG County employer is in its Summer Sessions. Even during the fall or spring, would Virginia residents employed at College Park, however few, be using the Woodrow Wilson Bridge?

Other large employers in PG County are Andrews Air Force Base and the Census Bureau. Undoubtedly at least SOME Virginians work at these federal entities. But would employees at these two government enterprises JUST be heading to work at 8:30? Could it be possible that the traffic is worse at different times? Also, is the traffic heading into Virginia across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge necessarily Marylanders? Could DC residents coming off of 295 be creating a bottleneck on the Beltway approaching the bridge? If you think there are posters full of sanctimony in this forum, I defy someone to go into the DC forum and tell them how they need the suburbs in Virginia or Maryland to provide them with employment and shopping opportunity.

I think one slight advantage Virginia has over Maryland is skill of driver and that advantage is minimized as you emerge from RoVA into Northern Virginia. I-270 is actually a well-designed and wide suburban highway with excellent signage and access lanes. The bottleneck in between Boyds and Urbana is more so a function of Frederick not starting out as a suburb but really a city onto itself. At Urbana they are now just getting I-270 up to speed (and the same with I-70 on the east side of Frederick) and I-70 is actually good past Frederick after the merger with I-270 up to US-40. The problem with I-270 is the nitwit going 50 mph in the far left lane then cutting across three lanes of traffic to get to their access lane exit at the last minute thus backing up everyone one in every line behind him/her. I don't rest the blame squarely on the shoulders of Marylanders: if license plates are any indication there are apparently a large number of Midwesterners heading toward DC (or from it) who clearly have little experience driving on roads that are NOT uniformally-straight or flat or have any sort of deviation from a grid pattern.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 AM

28 posts, read 40,602 times
https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.89744...&tptime=409500

Take note of the flow of traffic.

This shows typical traffic on a Thursday at 5:45. Notice anything similar about each section of the beltway going into Maryland? As someone who drives these stretches (I used to live in Mclean), including the GW parkway both North and Southbound, Route 1 through alexandria and both ends of the Virginia beltway, it's a well known fact that traffic heading into Maryland is horrible in the evening. I used to commute from Tysons to Old Town, and it was crazy how many MD plates were on the beltway, going all the way around to the WW bridge. Right as you get to the Old Town exits, the traffic starts backing up into MD. Additionally, my old office used to have a window overlooking the beltway in Tysons, and starting around 3:30PM every day, the traffic on the inner loop starts backing up going into Maryland as well.

Anyone who has ever driven on Route 1 or the GW parkway can also attest that at least 50% of the cars on the road have MD plates.

Since the havoc girl hates pictures and dismisses them as anecdotal evidence, I provided the link above. Here's one in the morning: https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.91801...&tptime=375300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland