Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
It's not just motorcycles. Rolling Thunder comes to town every year, and those riders seem to know how to "share the road responsibly."

Also, I have family that lives near and was stationed at Fort Bragg, next to Pope AFB. (Fayetteville, NC)
I've visited several times for extended times and don't recall ever seeing this speed/dirt/racing bikes or having one blow my doors off.

I don't wish the speed-bikers ill, but if they ever get tossed they'll have gotten what they asked for. There's got to be a way NOT to give these guys a blank check to speed (a la the no pursuit policy)

THIS is the kind of issue that makes me see why a another thread talks about a 3 1/2 hour commute to not live in this area. (OK maybe not really -- rant over just venting)
Oddly enough NC has a higher rate of motorcycle deaths than Maryland or VA. The rate is double that of maryland and VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,407 times
ZOMG I saw one of these guys on route 50 yesterday! He was turning so sharply and going so fast that his shoulder was almost touching the ground. ON THE HIGHWAY. My husband and I were like "oooOOOooooo" at first and then we were like "Wait, does he think he's in a video game or something?" I'd never seen something like that around here before.

To be fair, I've seen a lot worse in West Virginia with much larger, more dangerous vehicles.

IT'S LIKE ANNOYING TEENAGERS ARE FOLLOWING ME WHEREVER I GO!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
You would bash some woman you don't know for not wanting to live closer to DC in PG County like you do, then you turn around in another forum and bash PG County for its "black subculture", lawlessness, dangerous driving, and ineffective law enforcement. Maybe if someone similar to the 3 1/2 commuting woman reads this forum then they will want to commute from a full 4 hours away just to be that much further from all of this stuff you are complaining about in your county of residence.
Yeah. Like there's no kind of undesirable "subculture", lawlessness, dangerous driving, and ineffective law enforcement any where else one might live that 3 1/2 hours from DC.

Quote:
In many places, it is souped up cars and trucks that are the danger. And this is certainly not limited to any one ethnicity or unique to PG County.
So given you concede that point.....what IS your point about the 3 1/2 hour commuter?

I'm not being snarky. I really don't get your point.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,389 times
I was near Andrews AFB and an Army guy aggressively sped by me the while showing off a wheelie. He appeared to be a late 20s white guy.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
Or 'change lanes' on them. The pucker factor of going 120mph and having someone do a legal lane change on you might change their mindset.
Then spend a few years in prison on a manslaughter charge. Doesn't really sound like a good plan.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
Quote:
Yeah. Like there's no kind of undesirable "subculture", lawlessness, dangerous driving, and ineffective law enforcement any where else one might live that 3 1/2 hours from DC.

So given you concede that point.....what IS your point about the 3 1/2 hour commuter?

I'm not being snarky. I really don't get your point.
Please feel free to read your post where you mentioned the other thread about the 3 1/2 hour commuter. You are the one who brought it up. If you don't get the point, it is not incumbent upon me to make sure you comprehend the response to your quip.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
It's not just motorcycles. Rolling Thunder comes to town every year, and those riders seem to know how to "share the road responsibly."

Also, I have family that lives near and was stationed at Fort Bragg, next to Pope AFB. (Fayetteville, NC)
I've visited several times for extended times and don't recall ever seeing this speed/dirt/racing bikes or having one blow my doors off.

I don't wish the speed-bikers ill, but if they ever get tossed they'll have gotten what they asked for. There's got to be a way NOT to give these guys a blank check to speed (a la the no pursuit policy)

THIS is the kind of issue that makes me see why a another thread talks about a 3 1/2 hour commute to not live in this area. (OK maybe not really -- rant over just venting)
Exactly there's a difference here of course the usual suspects would deny the obvious.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It's not a young black thing. lol Rockit bike riding was not invented or created by blacks. It's a hobby that those in PG decided they liked to try just like trying skateboarding or skiing. It's not associated with drugs either. Just because bikers ride around with tatts, etc. doesn't mean they are into drugs because they zoom by you at 120mph. Go to any bike week across the country, it's not all Harley Davidsons. Just google high speed motorcycle and you'll see that it's not just a black culture. I think PG has like others have said, people with disposable incomes who have found a hobby. Albeit a dangerous one. Bike clubs are huge in Atlanta and the south and some of these people are transplants from that area.
Blacks don't invent a lot of things doesn't mean certain Blacks don't adopt certain fashions, habits etc. It's not even a Black thing per se. A lot of older Black bikers have little respect for these young guys ripping and roaring on our roads.

Also just like hip hop is not exclusive to Blacks this isn't exclusive to Blacks. However why is it I don't see so many of these bikes on my travails to Northern Virginia or Montgomery County?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:22 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Blacks don't invent a lot of things doesn't mean certain Blacks don't adopt certain fashions, habits etc. It's not even a Black thing per se. A lot of older Black bikers have little respect for these young guys ripping and roaring on our roads.

Also just like hip hop is not exclusive to Blacks this isn't exclusive to Blacks. However why is it I don't see so many of these bikes on my travails to Northern Virginia or Montgomery County?
Here is a list of motorcycle club meetups in Maryland. As you can see from the pictures, the range of bike enthusiasts is quite diverse. Maybe the reason why you don't see so many of these bike groups on your "travails" is because you selectively see what you want to see or you just don't go everywhere there is to go in Northern Virginia or Montgomery County. Or is that not obvious?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM

148 posts, read 242,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Oddly enough NC has a higher rate of motorcycle deaths than Maryland or VA. The rate is double that of maryland and VA.

Their weather allows them to ride bikes for many more days in any given year, so you should expect more casualties. Don't know anyone her that rides in th middle of January. It's also not limited to PG county, I see plenty of young blacks on speed bikes doing this crap along 695 too. Maybe they're just heading home. These are also in noway the same ones that ride Harley's, or are in an organized club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland