Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
These are much different times then you may be accustomed to. People don't bring their kids outside so that your kids can play with them and even if they did, you have to concern yourself with how safe your kids are (no matter where you are at). With that said, there are many surrounding jurisdictions that have basic neighborhood things like pools, water parks, playground, etc. There just aren't as many in PG as there are in other places. You have to be creative or move to a different area. Why would a family pay to stay in a place voided of these things when there are many places that have them? No too many will do so, which is why PG needs to do more to compete. We're not talking about items that will draw out of towners, we're talking about basic neighborhood amenities.
True and we are talking in my case and many of my area mommy friends about infants/toddlers not kids the age where you can say go outside and play. My toddler is doing sports for preschool age kids via PG Parks. We also use our beautiful area parks and playgrounds like Ft. Wash. park. Tucker Rd park's playground has been redone and is now really nice...it had broken play equipment before. We don't have a nice splash park but we go use the ones in surrounding counties and I meet up with mom friends who live near them. Worst case we turn a sprinkler on in the backyard...but of course this doesn't solve the problem of the fact that my toddler wants to be around other kids...not playing solo in his backyard. And he is playing solo because my neighborhood is mainly retired people or people on the verge of retiring who all have grown kids or the youngest are in high school. We do schedule playdates at other's homes and our home but not always easy with parents/families with busy schedules. Beyond that for this age group...when I am looking for developmental/educational activities for kids under 5 yrs old I don't see much of anything nearby that I want...Gymboree and language immersion for babies/toddlers fit this category....and the closest are offered in Alexandria. In general beyond local parks, doing things with a young child here requires a lot of driving elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
A lot of those are on my list as well. I think FTW will get there in the next 10 years but its going to take some time to complete the transition from a rural oriented community to something more dense.

If the majority of you want to live in a dense and developed area why not live there instead? Does the entire world need to be developed to appease you? You should move to VA, MA, NY, NJ, CA or someplace that suits your wants and needs now rather than complain about what will never come to be.
You are not going to see much more built than housing developments and that is the downfall to any navigation of the roadways. The next financial collapse will seal that coffin.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Not to stray off topic beyond showing an example of some of the playground/sprayground options for young kids elsewhere around the region...

This is a nice spray park in Alexandria:

Keeping up with Cardin: A splashing good time
DC:
Chevy Chase Playground (aka Livingston Playground) – Open for Business! — Mommy FTW
Department of Parks and Recreation
This one is along the Anacostia:
Review: The Yards Park | KidFriendly DC

I love the list this blogger created and appreciate that she included PG parks as so many lists like this do not list us at all
Indoor:
No Monsters in My Bed: Places to Go - Indoor Spaces for Kids - 55 IDEAS FOR THE COLD DAYS AHEAD!!!
Outdoor:
No Monsters in My Bed: Places to Go - 56 OUTSIDE PLACES FOR KIDS

Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM

I for one do not want to see the area overdeveloped...that is one reason I do not like Bethesda as an example. I love the open green spaces that are here. I just wish they could redevelop preexisting commercial areas with different vendors that middle class families are interested in patronizing. I mean what is going on in Livingston Square? Almost every storefront in there is now closed or empty...I think only Giant is in there now. Some of these stores/services we mentioned could be in existing space like Livingston Square.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechlawyerinPG View Post
Not to stray off topic beyond showing an example of some of the playground/sprayground options for young kids elsewhere around the region...

This is a nice spray park in Alexandria:

Keeping up with Cardin: A splashing good time
DC:
Chevy Chase Playground (aka Livingston Playground) – Open for Business! — Mommy FTW
Department of Parks and Recreation
This one is along the Anacostia:
Review: The Yards Park | KidFriendly DC

I love the list this blogger created and appreciate that she included PG parks as so many lists like this do not list us at all
Indoor:
No Monsters in My Bed: Places to Go - Indoor Spaces for Kids - 55 IDEAS FOR THE COLD DAYS AHEAD!!!
Outdoor:
No Monsters in My Bed: Places to Go - 56 OUTSIDE PLACES FOR KIDS
A few places to add:

Greenbelt Park
Lake Artemesia Greenbelt
NASA Goddard Greenbelt (indoor/outdoor activities)
Lane Manor Splash Park Hyattsville
Herbert Wells Ice Rink College Park

Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times
Quote:
True and we are talking in my case and many of my area mommy friends about infants/toddlers not kids the age where you can say go outside and play. My toddler is doing sports for preschool age kids via PG Parks. We also use our beautiful area parks and playgrounds like Ft. Wash. park. Tucker Rd park's playground has been redone and is now really nice...it had broken play equipment before. We don't have a nice splash park but we go use the ones in surrounding counties and I meet up with mom friends who live near them. Worst case we turn a sprinkler on in the backyard...but of course this doesn't solve the problem of the fact that my toddler wants to be around other kids...not playing solo in his backyard. And he is playing solo because my neighborhood is mainly retired people or people on the verge of retiring who all have grown kids or the youngest are in high school. We do schedule playdates at other's homes and our home but not always easy with parents/families with busy schedules. Beyond that for this age group...when I am looking for developmental/educational activities for kids under 5 yrs old I don't see much of anything nearby that I want...Gymboree and language immersion for babies/toddlers fit this category....and the closest are offered in Alexandria. In general beyond local parks, doing things with a young child here requires a lot of driving elsewhere.
You may want to check out the new sports and learning complex opening up this month in Fort Washington this month. They are supposed to be offering developmental activities for all ages.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I for one do not want to see the area overdeveloped...that is one reason I do not like Bethesda as an example. I love the open green spaces that are here. I just wish they could redevelop preexisting commercial areas with different vendors that middle class families are interested in patronizing. I mean what is going on in Livingston Square? Almost every storefront in there is now closed or empty...I think only Giant is in there now. Some of these stores/services we mentioned could be in existing space like Livingston Square.

Don't make too much sense and you will do fine. Most people would love to see the equivalent of a NYC block - 5th or 8th Ave - running down 210 from the beltway to Acokeek with all of the unseen trash that goes along with it just for the amenities. You can't turn rural America into Times Square no matter how hard you wish it to be so. It isn't happening. That is the charm of living in the country. If it's not to one's liking one should move on up to where the action is they so crave.
If wishes were fishes a lot of people could feed a village.

I agree about remodeling all of the closed down storefronts that are scattered all about as there are hundreds of them in locations close by to people. I can't figure out how the majority are churches at some point.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
A lot of those are on my list as well. I think FTW will get there in the next 10 years but its going to take some time to complete the transition from a rural oriented community to something more dense.

Your major hurdle is you can't get past the fact you live in a rural part of MD. It's that plain and simple. My neighborhood, as well as many others around, was once a farm. The roads here were once dirt. It's a shame there were several nice farms that were or will be sold to developers due to the criminal death tax people are faced with when inheriting such.
For instance, there were farms along 210 between Oxen Hill and Ft Washington in the 70s as well as stands to sell the produce. Upper Marlboro had huge tobacco warehouses on 301. The only density will be the sprawl of more home building and then it will resemble any other rural area across the USA.
You live in rural MD, not Old Town, Georgetown or Silver Spring. Look at the assorted small towns along 95 between the beltway and Richmond. Any of those could have grown to be hot spots but there is no call for it. The kind of development called for here is only going to happen in already established commerce centers.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Your major hurdle is you can't get past the fact you live in a rural part of MD. It's that plain and simple. My neighborhood, as well as many others around, was once a farm. The roads here were once dirt. It's a shame there were several nice farms that were or will be sold to developers due to the criminal death tax people are faced with when inheriting such.
For instance, there were farms along 210 between Oxen Hill and Ft Washington in the 70s as well as stands to sell the produce. Upper Marlboro had huge tobacco warehouses on 301. The only density will be the sprawl of more home building and then it will resemble any other rural area across the USA.
You live in rural MD, not Old Town, Georgetown or Silver Spring. Look at the assorted small towns along 95 between the beltway and Richmond. Any of those could have grown to be hot spots but there is no call for it. The kind of development called for here is only going to happen in already established commerce centers.
Fredricksburg is pretty hot right now.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Fredricksburg is pretty hot right now.

It always has been a Waldorf of sorts but since it is far enough removed from DC and enjoys some commercial business it has thrived for some years on its own merit. We used to go towards that way by boat years ago. It's not a super hot happening spot but it is a destination for folks over in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland