Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,659 times

Advertisements

I sort of agree with most people here. If you desire a phone line, then go with DSL, it is cheaper and you get a dedicated internet line. Customer service is Extremely bad with comcast, I got my service cut off because of a disput on my $2.50 bill that they made a mistake on. The comcast internet is out at least once a week. At peak hours, it's slower than dial-up. I have to reset my modem each time. Cable TV gets cut everytime there's a storm, so when they criticized about satellite TV, they have no reason to since their service gets cut too. I don't need a phone line, and so I'm stuck with Comcast. I wish another cable company would be in the Montgomery county area for more competitive pricing.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 AM

217 posts, read 752,091 times
I have DirectV because I wanted to get away from that bloodsucking Comcast. The reason Comcast goes down during storms? It is a satellite feed like I have here with my dish.

Speed is irrelevant to me after using NASA's system. A quarter million miles back and forth in less than 5 seconds is fast. You can't touch that.

FIOS will never be in my area as I live in a charming old neighborhood with telephone poles. I've had high dollar fibre optic before in a work inviroment and I am curious as to how the feed is brought to the Ethernet card in a residential environment. Too much inefficient MUX/DEMUX equipment and the signal degrades. You might as well get a dedicated T-1 or T-3 line.

I don't understand the big deal with speed, uplink is always slower than downlink with any residential system; the computer you have and whatever you connect to on the outside are two different animals.
I have 768 DSL and it is fine. If you know anything about computers you will know that DSL is fine. It is like any other faction of the computer, it requires maintenance.

Look into HughesNet.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaih23 View Post
I wish another cable company would be in the Montgomery county area for more competitive pricing.
I may b late to this thread, but I'm happy to report that there is another cable company in MC. RCN. Their prices and offerings are a bit better than Comcast. Give them a try.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
listen to me; AVOID COMCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
I have the Comcast 3 deal package (phone, internet, cable). I get HBO, Showtime & Starz as well and it runs me $129/month before taxes. I've had no major complaints with the service (wish the cost was better, though). In the years I've had them, I've had maybe a handful of outages that were resolved pretty quick.

I agree with other posters here....if you need a landline, go with Verizon. Otherwise, Comcast's a good deal.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM

74 posts, read 379,171 times
I am very happy with Verizon DSL. Cable is on average "faster" (as measured in bandwidth), but you are essentially sharing that bandwidth with a group of users in your neighborhood while the lower bandwidth DSL is a direct line (it stands for direct subscriber line). Since you are sharing your bandwidth, during peak times you will notice more problems getting online. DSL I always seem to get 2-3 mbps despite what time of day it is.

Another benefit to DSL is because its direct your latency is lower than cable, that means that it takes less time for your data to get from point A to B. Even if, on average, you send/receive less data at any given time. (the Slowskys ad is not accurate in this respect )

If you think about a shipping company, its easier to understand the difference. If DSL was a shipping company it would let you "ship" and "receive" medium sized (though still pretty big) packages but very quickly. Cable internet lets you ship/receiver often larger packages but they take more time to get to their destination. Most internet usage doesn't require very large "packages". So in my opinion even if the size of the "package" is not as big, DSL is superior for most things.

The other aspect in my decision was that Comcast has a very negative reputation and I was previously a Verizon wireless customer and though their service was decent.

Last edited by pythagras; 01-30-2008 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 02:35 PM

293 posts, read 570,509 times
I live in Howard County and had nothing but problems with Comcast. We had a tech out to our home 3 times in 3 weeks. The service was beyond bad. The internet would constantly drop.

Everytime we would call the service people would say that "there was no problem on their end." I would tell them that my PS3 and computer were not finding an IP address and when they would the connection would be weak.

As a result, I moved to Verizon and have not had a single problem. DO NOT GET COMCAST!!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,602 times
Avoid Comcast in MC. I'm stuck with Comcast because nobody wants DSL here.

The internet can bogs down to a crawl, drops sync (results in disconnections), and once in a while go down completely for long periods of time.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 PM

7 posts, read 32,992 times
Comcast in Montgomery County is the worst when it comes to customer service. Beware!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland