Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWilsons View Post
Thanks bufflove,
Good info! I didn't know the name of the neighborhood but Woodside park does appear out of our budget. We're excited to find an area with other young families and close to amenities SS/DC has to offer. Any other neighborhoods similar to silver spring, not too suburban not too urban you might be able to suggest?
I will repeat the suggestion of the Four Corners area, and westward to Wheaton. Specifically, near the Forest Knolls Elementary School which has good ratings. You can easily find ranches and small colonials in $300-400K range.

Also look at the comments on North Kensington in a recent thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Any other neighborhoods similar to silver spring, not too suburban not too urban you might be able to suggest?
1. The area north of Takoma Park/southeast of downtown SS would fit in your budget (roughly bound by Sligo Ave. to the north, Philadelphia Ave. to the west and Piney Branch to the east). It'd be a 10-15 minute walk to DTSS and easy access to Takoma Park as well.

2. Four Corners is a good balance because it's suburban, but there's also some pretty good/interesting amenities right in your neighborhood like restaurants, a pub, Starbucks, a theater (plays, not movies), etc.

3. Forest Glen area is also within your budget and you could live right near the metro stop. There are effectively zero amenities, though, so for entertainment you'd be using that metro stop frequently to get into DC or taking a fairly short drive to DTSS or Bethesda.

4. You could also afford something near the Wheaton metro. Wheaton's a decent balance between suburban/urban in that there are a fair number of amenities (lots of yummy restaurants, the mall, etc.) and increasing density around the core. It is a bit rougher around the edges since it's seen only a fraction of the redevelopment that downtown Silver Spring has benefited from. There's definitely growing momentum in Wheaton, though, with two large new apartment buildings recently built and one more currently under construction. The county is also getting set to redevelop one of the area's parking lots into a town square+office building, so I think there's no doubt Wheaton will continue its upward trajectory.

Personally, I'll likely be in the same boat looking in the same price range for a house in a couple years (currently living in a condo) and the 1-4 numbering above would also be my ranking, with #1 being the best option. Here's hoping the areas will still be in my price range in a couple years!

Old 03-27-2014, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,884 times
I've been searching for an apt for a long time. I'm new to the area and am looking for a nice and safe city in md, preferably close to dc, with 1 bed apts all utilities included. I'm a white male 22 years old. My budget for monthly rent is less than $1400

Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 PM

How important is it you're near a metro? Does that $1400 need to include parking or are you car-less?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,666 times
I work at NIH, Bethesda. I have been renting in Rockville, near Twinbrook metro station for 1600 (2BR including utilities).
I need suggestions for areas with cheaper rentals (2BR around 1200). From what I have researched, I should target germantown / herndon / columbia. Any suggestions? I don't mind ~30 minute drive but I need to save on rent. Please give suggestions.
Thnx

Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bnoted View Post
I work at NIH, Bethesda......
I need suggestions for areas with cheaper rentals (2BR around 1200). From what I have researched, I should target germantown / herndon / columbia. Any suggestions? I don't mind ~30 minute drive but I need to save on rent.
I think that Germantown is the best choice among these. The commute from Herndon or Columbia would be much worse.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 PM

62 posts, read 189,022 times
Quote:
I work at NIH, Bethesda. I have been renting in Rockville, near Twinbrook metro station for 1600 (2BR including utilities).
I need suggestions for areas with cheaper rentals (2BR around 1200). From what I have researched, I should target germantown / herndon / columbia. Any suggestions? I don't mind ~30 minute drive but I need to save on rent. Please give suggestions.
Thnx
From Germantown:
If you work on NIH's main campus, unless you're leaving very early in the morning you're commute is going to be well over 30 minutes. Even if you work around the NIH facilities off Rockledge, you're driving time is going to be an hour during normal rush hour times. It's bumper to bumper sometimes when it's really bad, starting at Father Hurley and the always becomes bumper to bumper at Sam Eig Highway/Shady Grove. I did the Germantown to Bethesda commute for eight years.

I'm not sure how many apartment complexes in Germantown would have utilities included.

I would say that wherever you think you'd like to live, do a few dry runs in the morning to test out the traffic. After eight years of being on 270 for hours on end I had had enough.

Can't comment on the other locations.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 693,708 times
Quote:
Thnx
how much are you paying? Do you have kids? dogs? etc?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 9,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Personally, I'll likely be in the same boat looking in the same price range for a house in a couple years (currently living in a condo) and the 1-4 numbering above would also be my ranking, with #1 being the best option. Here's hoping the areas will still be in my price range in a couple years!
Excellent.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and remember to post back after we move to let you know where we end up, how much we ended up spending and how the neighborhood we choose turns out.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Excellent.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and remember to post back after we move to let you know where we end up, how much we ended up spending and how the neighborhood we choose turns out.
Great; good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland