Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,614 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I will be moving from Ukraine to MD in a week or so and will be working at NIH. So I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. I'd prefer commute not greater than an hour by public transportation and price not greater than $1500/month. Can you recommend me any places or apartment complexes?

And I guess whether I need to pay some kind of deposit or service fee when renting an apartment?

As I heard that traffic issues in this area is common I'm thinking about using a metro line though as I have a driving license I'd consider buying a car later.

Also I guess whether I can just came and rent an apartment or I need a bank account and some kind of registration in local government offices prior to renting an apartment? Guys from NIH told me that they will provide me a letter of employment if apartment owner will require it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 AM

39 posts, read 58,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins421 View Post
Hello, I am a single 28 year old single professional male being transferred to Bethesda Naval Hospital from San Diego. I have never been to the area and am looking for some advice on where a good fit for myself to live would be. First and foremost I would like no more than a 30 minute commute to the hospital. I hear that the best option may be to take a train? Secondly, I would like to live in a nice, safe area that would be fun for a young single guy. Finally, I should be out there for 3 years or so, and am considering buying a condo if I can get a decent one for around 100,000, but that maybe something I look more into after being there for a few months. I will initially rent, and my price range is not that tight.. Obviously the cheaper the better, but I could pay 1500 or so if needed. Thank you for all your insight!
I would aim for Rockville, near the town center. Quick trip to the metro. Lots of night activities. Younger crowd. Bethesda itself is great as well.

100k for a home anywhere near Bethesda is going to be very difficult. I do have to question why you would spend 1500/mnth for an apartment and then such a low amount to purchase? You can go up to 350k if you aren't paying taxes, lol. So that would translate to about 300k to stay in that range. If you are looking at a condo in the area, probably 250k to make sure you have the condo fees in that range too.

Feel free to reach out if you would like. I happen to be a realtor and would be happy to help you out, if you would like.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 PM

16 posts, read 26,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_mclellan View Post
I would aim for Rockville, near the town center. Quick trip to the metro. Lots of night activities. Younger crowd. Bethesda itself is great as well.

100k for a home anywhere near Bethesda is going to be very difficult. I do have to question why you would spend 1500/mnth for an apartment and then such a low amount to purchase? You can go up to 350k if you aren't paying taxes, lol. So that would translate to about 300k to stay in that range. If you are looking at a condo in the area, probably 250k to make sure you have the condo fees in that range too.

Feel free to reach out if you would like. I happen to be a realtor and would be happy to help you out, if you would like.

Great! a little about my situation.. I will be in Bethesda for 3 years or so, and will most likely be leaving after that. Ideally I would like to buy after being there for 6 months or so, and probably no more than 200,000, however cheaper would be better as I would want something that is low risk. At that point I would then be looking to probably 1. Sell as along as I could at LEAST sell if for what I bought it, or 2. Rent it, and sell down the road. I would be out of the area at that point, so I would have to turn the property over to some property management. So you can see why I wouldn't want to get something TOO expensive. I have looked at the Promenade online, and it seems very attractive (I have seen the smaller 1 BR going for around 160,000). Thanks for any info/assistance

Old 09-25-2014, 06:34 AM

1,261 posts, read 692,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins421 View Post
Great! a little about my situation.. I will be in Bethesda for 3 years or so, and will most likely be leaving after that. Ideally I would like to buy after being there for 6 months or so, and probably no more than 200,000, however cheaper would be better as I would want something that is low risk. At that point I would then be looking to probably 1. Sell as along as I could at LEAST sell if for what I bought it, or 2. Rent it, and sell down the road. I would be out of the area at that point, so I would have to turn the property over to some property management. So you can see why I wouldn't want to get something TOO expensive. I have looked at the Promenade online, and it seems very attractive (I have seen the smaller 1 BR going for around 160,000). Thanks for any info/assistance
$200k doesnt get you much.....

Old 09-30-2014, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWilsons View Post
Excellent.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and remember to post back after we move to let you know where we end up, how much we ended up spending and how the neighborhood we choose turns out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Great; good luck!
So we just closed last week on a house near the intersection of Flower and Wayne! About 1.5 miles to metro and ~ 1 mile to whole foods etc. Spent a little over $480k. We love the house and my family is excited to start getting to know the area and neighborhood! Feel free to ask any questions about our search or the real estate in that area (older homes inside the beltway around DTSS, specifically to the east of Colesville, west of University)

Old 10-06-2014, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,975 times
Default Iowa to Andrews AFB

Hello,

I am moving to the area in a few weeks and starting a job at Andrews AFB and looking for some input on where I should be looking to live. Key details:: 27 Years old, single male, looking for a commute under an hour, public transportation for private vehicle works, would like somewhere with a younger crowd and around 1500/month rent, and preferably close to running/bicycle paths.

Cory

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky265 View Post
Hello,

I am moving to the area in a few weeks and starting a job at Andrews AFB and looking for some input on where I should be looking to live. Key details:: 27 Years old, single male, looking for a commute under an hour, public transportation for private vehicle works, would like somewhere with a younger crowd and around 1500/month rent, and preferably close to running/bicycle paths.

Cory
Under an hr could put you in Bowie, Laurel, and Greenbelt. Rent could be around 1100-1500. However nightlife would be absent.

Silver Spring could put you at nightlife but rent may be higher. Public Tranpsortstion doesn't go to Andrews

Or you could do NWDC and take the Metro to Suitland and then take a bus to the base.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:50 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky265 View Post
Hello,

Cory
Alexandria, VA or Eastern Market, DC would be the closest good options, if you happen to find something in your price range. Silver Spring would probably be your best bet in MD, but if you're travelling during rush hour the commute is far from ideal. If there's a bus/shuttle from Suitland Metro to Andrews (I have no idea, but I'd guess there is) then that opens up Green Line stations as easily accessible. In DC that'd mean U St. (great, but probably out of your price range), Gallery Place (great, but probably out of your price range), Shaw (ok, and a bit more affordable) and Petworth (subpar, but a bit more affordable and a quick taxi to better areas for nightlife).

Alexandria, VA would be my first choice, personally.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:14 PM

297 posts, read 586,310 times
I'll be moving to the College Park area as soon as I can find a safe and affordable place to live. Coming from out of state, obviously I don't know a lot about the areas, but some of the stats I've seen don't look very reassuring. I was considering some places on the west side of Greenbelt, but they score pretty low in terms of safety on some websites. Not sure of the reliability of the info, though. Thoughts?

I wanted to be in one of the condos at Westchester Park Drive, but they're either taken by the time I call or won't accept my dog. Then I looked into the apartments at The Towers at Westchester, but living there with a dog seems about the least convenient thing I could get... having to walk her through like half a mile of hallways, stairs, and public indoor spaces before getting to the bark park outside, several times a day. (This wouldn't be an issue of me not wanting to walk her out, but she's a rescue who was left outside 24/7 for the first ~6 months of her life with hardly any contact at all and zero training. She's come a long way, but now we're coming from a farm in Maine where she doesn't see other people besides my family or other dogs, so she's not well socialized yet - don't want to expose her to too many people and pets too quickly.) So, I'd like to be within 10 minutes of there, but wanting to keep it under $1250 obviously limits me quite a bit. We'd consider more for a place IN the condos at Westchester or a place in Berwyn heights, but not more than $1,500 with co-op/condo fees included.

Not looking to buy at this time because we may not be there past May; things are still up in the air.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,455 times
Greetings, I'm moving to DC to work at the Pentagon and have family in the Millersville, Severna Park areas of Maryland. I have four children, one in 3rd grade, one in kinder. My budget is $2500.00, only looking to rent. We are only going to be there until the end of 2015. I would like to have a commute that is under an hour using some form of public transportation.

I'm super overwhelmed by all the rental opportunities I am find on varius websites and unraveling the transpo system in order to figure out commute times when I don't know where the safe places to live are yet isn't working for me.

So I'm looking for:
1: Renting SFH or TH at 2500 or less with decent schools (wife might homeschool, so willing to consider good areas without good schools)
2: Commute to Pentagon less than one hour, not driving
3: Safe area for kids, esp spacious parks (if there are any), outdoor activities.
4:The closer to Millersville, MD, the better, but not critical. Just being on the MD side should make it close enough for us.

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS If there's a better place to ask this, LMK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland