Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 PM

32 posts, read 129,382 times

Advertisements

So I recently relocated to MD from Brooklyn, NY i'm new to the geographic placement of the counties. I relocated for work and because this is where I wanted to move to because the big city that I was in was getting to me...too crowded, dirty and expensive(I'd never be able to buy a house regardless of how much love I have for the city). I currently reside in B'more county and it's nice change and similar to what I like when I've lived in other places. I'm also trying to decide between a single-family house or a town house...but not a row house.

I have reconsidered city living because the taxes are really high in my opinion (but that could be because I'll be a 1st time home buyer and everything seems alarmingly high). I'm looking for a 3bdrm/1.5 or 2 bathroom house that's possibly move in ready. I think a monthly mortgage payment of $1300 is doable.

I work in Baltimore and I think a 30-45 minute commute is reasonable, i can drive to the metro or drive to work.

A few things about me:
Mid 30's, no kids, Single, educated (very common)
I'll be relocating my non driving mum also, so she'll want to be able to walk and/or take the bus sometimes...when I'm not around.
I like excitement and fun but I like coming home to peace and serenity.
I'm not interested in a row house at all

Any location suggestions, I'm open to hearing about!

Thanks,
English79
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
Recently got engaged, and currently own a condo in DC. I'm most likely either going to take the equity out for a down payment on a 2nd home in Maryland or outright sell it. We're looking to move into Maryland, fiance has a focus on the Montgomery County area since she currently lives near Aspen Hill. I for one think it's a mistake to...pigeonhole ourselves into one area, but she brings up a good point about the schools and safety since we do plan on having kids within the next 3-5 years or so.

She favors a home where we could get it for 350K to 400K and make the necessary renovations, i.e. the kitchen or bathroom. I'm more in favor of the new developments. We visited Poplar Run, which to be honest is our dream house but way out of our budget (I would say 450K max is our budget), Norbeck Crossing which I found to be overpriced and I believe Bentley Park. I favor new developments b/c it also gives me time to get my ducks in a row in terms of putting my condo on the market, selling it, etc. I don't know if that will take weeks or months. I also like buying when the market is low. I bought a condo in SW DC when it wasn't highly populated, bought before the Wharf began to be built up and now we're getting tons of retail, apartments, development, etc. I know it's not possible to do the exact same thing when it comes to new developments since pricing is locked in, but how is the area around the Stonegate community in Ft. Washington? Also looked into Beach Tree in Upper Marlboro, Brickyard Station in Beltsville. What areas would you recommend? Do I have the right idea?

Old 08-19-2015, 01:55 PM

133 posts, read 257,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I know it's not possible to do the exact same thing when it comes to new developments since pricing is locked in, but how is the area around the Stonegate community in Ft. Washington? Also looked into Beach Tree in Upper Marlboro, Brickyard Station in Beltsville. What areas would you recommend? Do I have the right idea?
As you can tell by my user-id, I live in Beechtree, and I highly recommend the community.

I can answer most of your questions regarding amenities, shopping, commuting, area activities, etc., if you have any other questions.

However, you should be aware that if you think you will be buying new, there is some negotiation you can do with the builders, especially if you are not going through a realtor as we did.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_in_beechtree View Post
As you can tell by my user-id, I live in Beechtree, and I highly recommend the community.

I can answer most of your questions regarding amenities, shopping, commuting, area activities, etc., if you have any other questions.

However, you should be aware that if you think you will be buying new, there is some negotiation you can do with the builders, especially if you are not going through a realtor as we did.
Sending you a PM your way! I actually didn't know you can negotiate, I always figured they had "this is the price, pay it or someone else" will mentality. Actually by negotiation, do you mean closing costs and upgrades?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I actually didn't know you can negotiate, I always figured they had "this is the price, pay it or someone else" will mentality. Actually by negotiation, do you mean closing costs and upgrades?
When we bought, the builder gave us some incentives for certain upgrade packages, and we also got a credit for not using a realtor - that we had to ask for because this was not shared with us. This is in lieu of the commission money the builder would have to pay to the realtor had you used one.

But I will recommend one additional expense if you buy, and that is hiring an inspector. I have one of the best in this area that I can recommend when you buy, new or pre-owned.

We had our place inspected at the pre-drywall phase and then just before the final walk-through, and it ran $825, with this amount being fixed and based on the selling price of your home.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 AM

6 posts, read 10,248 times
Yes I agree live in or close to Silver Springs, its not a bad place considering. Silver Springs is very diverse. Different racial groups seem to get along in this area far better than places like Tampa Florida where I own property, Clearwater area. The education level is far higher in the DC/Va area. You can also go a bit North of Silver Springs toward Baltimore, there are other nice suburbs just north of you.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:43 AM

6 posts, read 10,248 times
Dom Rep, I like Upper Marlboro area its very nice, diverse group of people, Upper Marlboro is nice and clean as are the suburbs north of there, I think DC is very hectic and was not too impressed with it. I would prefer Va to DC, So stay north or south of there.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 PM

Brickyard is no go, future wifey didn't like the whole contaminated soil situation. Looking at Greenbelt station next.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Brickyard is no go, future wifey didn't like the whole contaminated soil situation. Looking at Greenbelt station next.
You may also want to check out this new community very close to the Woodmore Towne Centre:

New Homes in Glenarden & Prince George County, Maryland | D.R. Horton

Old 08-29-2015, 10:00 AM

17 posts, read 84,374 times
Great thread, I am glad I found it!

My Hubby has been offered a position in Adelphi. We are a family of four with young kiddos under 4 potentially relocating from southern VA. A good school system is high on the priority list as is a safe, liberal area. Howard county is preferred because of the school system but I am wondering about commute time; maps say 22 minutes but most likely without traffic. Any ideas on commute time from the locals? Best areas in Howard County? How is Laurel, safe and family oriented?

As for housing we would buy and are looking at around $300,000, townhome fine but prefer single family home, over 1600 sq.ft. at least 3 br. Sound feasible for the area?

It is rough flying blind into an area! Thanks in advance for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland