Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 04:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rume22003 View Post
I need some good advice please!

I will be moving in with my sister until I get a medical assistant position and then my own place but I wanted to know if you can shed some light of Hospital or clinics that you know that will be hiring newcomers. Thank you so much
Adventist Healthcare is probably your best bet. They have several facilities locally. Holy Cross Hosp is also close by.
Acute, Specialty, and Home Health Care - Gaithersburg, Maryland - Adventist HealthCare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:13 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
One of the things that is somewhat irritating about these new developments around Laurel, and Greenbelt is that they are priced at a point where you would expect development, i.e. retail to already be there. Just look at Bentley Park, I have gone there three times...besides Bond Mill elementary they are hyping the Konterra Shopping Center (which last I checked is still just an idea) as the "next Tysons." In Laurel!? One of the developer reps even went as far as saying "they're gonna extend the Metro here" which I have read nothing about. We got something priced at about half million, when breaking the numbers down and we just decided it wasn't worth that in Laurel. If the area blows up, great and we missed out. If not, then we look like geniuses.

We're still going to do a modest search, but I think we're going to wait to see what the townhomes over at Glenmont metro have to offer.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,364 times
Recently relocated to Lexington Park for a job at Pax naval and i was wondering if there are any community events to meet people around my age group (recent college graduates). I was also wondering about the asian community, there seems to be a lot of asian restaurants here.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:18 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardnese View Post
Recently relocated to Lexington Park for a job at Pax naval and i was wondering if there are any community events to meet people around my age group (recent college graduates). I was also wondering about the asian community, there seems to be a lot of asian restaurants here.
You should post this in the general MD forum, not the DC suburbs.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,934 times
Hi. I am single; have lived in NW DC for over 10 years. I work in Bethesda. I am tired of living in DC, especially not having a parking space, competing for parking all the time and the long lines at all stores. The only reason I maintain my current address is I know nothing better and my commute is 11 mins on the train, 30-45 mins driving. The driving is getting worse every year.

I know almost nothing about Montgomery county and I want to save $300-400/month to make it worthwhile moving out of dc. My current rent is reasonable for dc because I have never moved and was given a low-income rent rate when I first moved in my 20's; now I don't fall into 'low income' but it's still high ($1400). I am hoping to find an apartment for no more than 1100/month somewhere in Montgomery county near Bethesda. Is this possible?

I'd want to be near the red line (shady grove, twinbrook or rockville; bethesda would be brilliant but I don't expect to find anything for $1000 there). I am guessing to find this kind of price I'd need to consider being several miles from a metro station? Thanks for any insights.

I should mention my main goal, besides saving, is safety. I like the suburbs for this reason too.

Last edited by westlife89; 10-12-2015 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 09:33 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westlife89 View Post
Hi. I am single; have lived in NW DC for over 10 years. I work in Bethesda. I am tired of living in DC, especially not having a parking space, competing for parking all the time and the long lines at all stores. The only reason I maintain my current address is I know nothing better and my commute is 11 mins on the train, 30-45 mins driving. The driving is getting worse every year.

I know almost nothing about Montgomery county and I want to save $300-400/month to make it worthwhile moving out of dc. My current rent is reasonable for dc because I have never moved and was given a low-income rent rate when I first moved in my 20's; now I don't fall into 'low income' but it's still high ($1400). I am hoping to find an apartment for no more than 1100/month somewhere in Montgomery county near Bethesda. Is this possible?

I'd want to be near the red line (shady grove, twinbrook or rockville; bethesda would be brilliant but I don't expect to find anything for $1000 there). I am guessing to find this kind of price I'd need to consider being several miles from a metro station? Thanks for any insights.

I should mention my main goal, besides saving, is safety. I like the suburbs for this reason too.
You want to live in MoCo for $1.1K? Probably not going to happen, but check out zillow and craigslist and maybe you can find a 300 sqft studio or a basement room somewhere. Splitting a 2br would be the most viable option for that price.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,794 times
This seems like the best place to ask some questions I'm having.

My situation: I'm a single woman who started a new job in June. Up until now, I've been renting space in a house in Riverdale Park (I had to relocate very quickly when the job came up), but that lease ends in December and I'll be seeking my own apartment at that time.

My problem: My rental budget is a maximum 1.3K a month, and I don't know what neighborhoods will offer the best balance of affordability and safety. I'd never lived in DC before moving here in June, so I'm still learning my way around. I've asked my housemates and coworkers for advice, but all they've been able to tell me so far is "don't move to Forestville or District Heights".

My job's main office is in Lanham, but I do a lot of driving to visit clients around the Maryland side of the beltway, so ideally I'd rather not have more than a half-hour commute to Lanham. I'm not picky about community events, noise, politics, etc. - my biggest concern is balancing safety and cost.

(I do realize roommates are an option, but I'd like to try living on my own, if possible.)

Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStormcrow View Post
My job's main office is in Lanham, but I do a lot of driving to visit clients around the Maryland side of the beltway, so ideally I'd rather not have more than a half-hour commute to Lanham. I'm not picky about community events, noise, politics, etc. - my biggest concern is balancing safety and cost.
I would look in South Laurel, Bowie and Crofton, but I like suburban areas.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,654 times
Work in Rockville, looking for house within $450K, have looked in Laurel, Rockville and Gaithersburg but nothing seems to be working out. Thinking about expanding the search to Germantown, can you guys suggest neighborhoods in Germantown. Also information on what Germantown is like generally will be much appreciated! FYI: We are young professionals.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,021 times
Hi I am new to the forums and I accidentally posted elsewhere before seeing this sticky. But I was wondering if anyone had advice in regards to living in the Waldorf area?

Almost a year ago I moved to Lexington Park for a job and my boyfriend recently moved to Gaithursburg for his new job. We are considering moving in together and after doing some research, we found that the best midway point (in between our jobs in Lexington Park and Gaithursburg) to move to would be Waldorf. I tried looking at listings for La Plata on Trulia/Zillow, but the commute seems like it will be a bit longer for my boyfriend and the prices are higher.

I am currently living in an apartment but we feel that renting a townhouse in Waldorf would be a better deal financially because of the space for the price, but we know that we will probably end up paying more for utilities than what we're used to in apartments. But if worse comes to worse in the house hunt then we are not too opposed to an apartment.

My main questions to the forums:

1) Cost: What are the utilities costs like for a typical townhouse, single family house, or apartment?

2) Crime/Environment: What neighborhoods to check out? Which ones to avoid?

3) General thoughts about the area? Any annoyances that we should know about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland