Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymlaar View Post
Hello!

My family and I are planning on relocating to MD for my work in DC. We're hoping to find someplace where I can use the train to commute into the city, as I'll be working within walking distance of Union Station. Our hopes are as follow:

1: House rental is preferred over apartment rental
2: 2 dogs and 2 cats in the house
3: 2 bedrooms, 1 bath minimum
4: We're hoping to pay less than $1800 a month, including utilities.

Looking at zillow and other rental sites it seems like this might be a tall order, but perhaps I'm just not familiar with where to look.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you offer.
You won't find a house at that price, at least not in a decent area. You may have better luck with a townhouse. Are you open to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 28,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
You won't find a house at that price, at least not in a decent area. You may have better luck with a townhouse. Are you open to that?
Thank you very much for your response. If you're talking about the type of townhouse with individual entrances, that would definitely be do-able. If you're talking about the more collage style with a central room, definitely not. Please do bare in mind (though I don't know the area), anything within 1 to 1.5 hours by train ride to DC would be acceptable to me. I've commuted long distances in the past, and it doesn't bother me as much as a poor living arrangement does.

Out of curiosity, do you believe that with a 60-65k a year salary the 1800 is too restrictive?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for your response. If you're talking about the type of townhouse with individual entrances, that would definitely be do-able. If you're talking about the more collage style with a central room, definitely not. Please do bare in mind (though I don't know the area), anything within 1 to 1.5 hours by train ride to DC would be acceptable to me. I've commuted long distances in the past, and it doesn't bother me as much as a poor living arrangement does.

Out of curiosity, do you believe that with a 60-65k a year salary the 1800 is too restrictive?
On that salary it seems reasonable but everybody is different. Your debts (or lack thereof) will be a even bigger factor. What really makes a difference is your lifestyle. If you need to be around shops, restaurants/bars, etc. then that $1800 won't work for a townhome.

Okay so let's talk about townhomes in this region. It seems like you don't want the condo style townhome if I am understanding correctly. I just did a search in Prince George's County and I only saw a few places in Upper Marlboro in your price. The other places that are on the list are not safe or too far from the metro to meet your comuting needs. Upper Marlboro is pretty decent area but it's very isolated. You will have to travel to Branch Avenue (20-30 minutes) or Suitland (15-20 minutes) to get to the train but you would not have a long train ride (25-30 minutes). Honestly that's the best you can do and given that I am sure you want to walk your animals, that is the best place in PG for your criteria.

The other option I thought about is NoVa. Are you open to moving there? There is one place in particular known as Manassas Park that is a little cheaper. The great thing about Manassas Park is there is a portion of it that surrounds a VRE train station and the VRE goes directly to Union Station. There are right now 3 townhomes in your price range that you could walk to the train station. The area around the station is really nice and safe. It is a lot further from the city if you ever wanted to drive. If you want to know more about that area send me a private message, otherwise I or someone else can chime in about Maryland.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:

On that salary it seems reasonable but everybody is different. Your debts (or lack thereof) will be a even bigger factor. What really makes a difference is your lifestyle. If you need to be around shops, restaurants/bars, etc. then that $1800 won't work for a townhome.

Okay so let's talk about townhomes in this region. It seems like you don't want the condo style townhome if I am understanding correctly. I just did a search in Prince George's County and I only saw a few places in Upper Marlboro in your price. The other places that are on the list are not safe or too far from the metro to meet your comuting needs. Upper Marlboro is pretty decent area but it's very isolated. You will have to travel to Branch Avenue (20-30 minutes) or Suitland (15-20 minutes). Honestly that's the best you can do and given that I am sure you want to walk your animals, that is the best place in PG for your criteria.

The other option I thought about is NoVa. Are you open to moving there? There is one place in particular known as Manassas Park that is a little cheaper. The great thing about Manassas Park is there is a portion of it that surrounds a VRE train station and the VRE goes directly to Union Station (about 1 hour). There are right now 3 townhomes in your price range that you could walk to the train station. The area around the station is really nice and safe. It is a lot further from the city if you ever wanted to drive. If you want to know more about that area send me a private message, otherwise I or someone else can chime in about Maryland.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:20 PM

25 posts, read 89,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Bolling is in DC.. that will be a terrible Commute in the Morning and Evening as Bolling isnt Metro Accessible nor would the traffic in Crofton, Gambrills, and Odenton. Youre best bet would be VA on this one. Or You could look into Ft Washington, it would be closer, but traffic would be the downside... Bolling AFB is not a traffic friendly area. Its off I-295 in DC which gets pretty backed up since its lcoated off 495 and the Woodrow WIlson Bridge which are headaches in both the morning and evening.
Hi! Thanks for responding... But is the commute under an hour? From what I could see, the schools in Fort Washington aren't the best.

Is there an area in Virginia we should be looking at?

Thanks!
Shawn

Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,000 times
Quote:
Hello!

My family and I are planning on relocating to MD for my work in DC. We're hoping to find someplace where I can use the train to commute into the city, as I'll be working within walking distance of Union Station. Our hopes are as follow:

1: House rental is preferred over apartment rental
2: 2 dogs and 2 cats in the house
3: 2 bedrooms, 1 bath minimum
4: We're hoping to pay less than $1800 a month, including utilities.

Looking at zillow and other rental sites it seems like this might be a tall order, but perhaps I'm just not familiar with where to look.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you offer.
You may want to look at Germantown and Gaithersburg... then catch the MARC into union station.

And $1800 per month in a house on that salary? Be careful... I know of more than one person who faced a $300 to $400 heating or cooling bill... one of them being me. Some of the older houses while cheaper to rent, don't have good windows. Then if the car breaks down or something major. Be careful, unless you have savings, etc... DC spending can spiral out of control.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:29 AM

54 posts, read 73,250 times
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations for apartments/condos under $1350 in the Rockville area? $1350/mo for me seems max, and decent/reliable/safe living space trumps things like proximity to stores, etc.

Also, are there rental assistance programs in MD?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:57 AM

490 posts, read 924,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozahsuf View Post
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations for apartments/condos under $1350 in the Rockville area? $1350/mo for me seems max, and decent/reliable/safe living space trumps things like proximity to stores, etc.

Also, are there rental assistance programs in MD?
The perfect place for you to look is in North Potomac/Rockville and the apartment complex is call "Travlle Apartments"

North Potomac Apartments in Montgomery County | Avalon at Traville

Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 37,866 times
Default Relocating for New Job in DC, But Should I live in MD or VA??

Hi All,

I am from out of state, relocating because of work. I'm not sure which cities or which neighboring state to live in. I have done some research and it seems that cities in Maryland may be my best option but I'm still open to VA.

I will be working in DC near Chinatown. Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station is nearby my future job. I am a mixed race (Black and East Indian) 26 year old single female, no kids, just a little dog(under 15lbs). I am not big into the night life, so that is not a priority. I'm used to living in the suburbs with lots of green space. I have my own car, but since the metro station is so close to my future job, I'm fine with using public trans. My budget is $1300.

Currently where I live, I am able to rent a 2bd/2bth townhome for $1000 in a nice suburban area. So I'd like to still stay with cities where I can manage a nice 2/2 housing accommodation in a good community. I'd like to have less than an hour commute, however if I can get more space for my money then I don't mind being farther out. I have heard mixed things about the city of Laurel, and I've been told that Anne Arundel County has a lot to offer.. But not sure how far these places really are...Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced for all the suggestions!!

Last edited by Tg4lve; 12-03-2013 at 01:24 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg4lve View Post
Hi All,

I am from out of state, relocating because of work. I'm not sure which cities or which neighboring state to live in. I have done some research and it seem cities in Maryland may be my best option but I'm still open to VA.

I will be working in DC near Chinatown. Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station is nearby my future job. I am a mixed race (Black and East Indian) 26 year old single female, no kids, just a little dog(under 15lbs). I am not big into the night life, so that is not a priority. I'm used to living in the suburbs with lots of green space. I have my own car, but since the metro station is so close to my future job, I'm fine with using public trans. My budget is $1300.

Currently where I live, I am able to rent a 2bd/2bth townhome for $1000 in a nice suburban area. So I'd like to still stay with cities where I can manage a nice 2/2 housing accommodation in a good community. I'd like to have less than an hour commute, however if I can get more space for my money then I don't mind being farther out. I have heard mixed things about the city of Laurel, and I've been told that Anne Arundel County has a lot to offer.. But not sure how far these places really are...Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced for all the suggestions!!
Can you afford to spend more monthly on rent? Your options will be limited at that price range.

Are you open to having a roommate?

Laurel and Anne Arundel County are a long way away from where you would work. I doubt you would make it to work in an hour from any of those places. Initially I am thinking Silver Spring, Arlington (VA), College Park or Hyattsville but it would depend on your answer to the previous two questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland