Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 AM

49 posts, read 151,702 times

Advertisements

I think he will be flying out Monday mornings (but early, probably leaving before rush hour becomes a factor as plane will leave around 7-8a) and coming home Thursday evenings (around 7). But this will vary depending on the project or whatnot.

Thank you so much for the information and insight! it's very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahopeful View Post
Hi, I'd love some insight into the different suburbs. We will be moving to the DC area in a year for a job. My husband will be commuting into DC at MOST one day a week and will be traveling out of national airport the rest of the week.
We have 3 kids who will be going into 3rd, 5th, and still in preschool when we make the move. Public school quality is VERY very important to us. Please don't suggest private schools or moving to an area with schools rated less than "8" on great schools- not going to happen.

We currently live in a "shangri-la" type of place (small affluent college town in a rural part of New England) that I know we will not be able to replicate but the things I love most about living here are the friendly people who are involved in the community, very safe feeling, lots of community offerings such as sports for kids, library activities, dance studios/music lessons, etc.

Also, we are Jewish and while not strictly observant, I do not want my children to be the only Jewish children in their classes and we need to be within a reasonable drive of a reform synagogue for religious education which is ongoing for many years to come for our family.

We want to live in a neighborhood with lots of families and we don't need a ton of privacy with lots of land to take care of. I'd rather my kids had other friends houses they could walk to down the street than an acre in the middle of nowhere . I would say we are looking in the neighborhood of 800K and we must have 4 bedrooms. We would be willing to do cosmetic upgrades (new kitchen or bathroom) but then we would want to pay more like $750K.

We have family in Bethesda so that is a logical place to look but I've also been looking at Potomac and Silver Spring/Rockville on realtor.com....but not sure about Rockville/SS schools.

Would also consider looking on the VA side into Mclean because it is closer to the airport for my husband, but there is much less Jewish influence over there so not sure it would be ideal.

Would love your insight!
You may want to consider Fairfax/Annandale in VA. Not 100% sure how much Jewish influence Fairfax has, but near the Fairfax/Annandale area, there is a Jewish Community Center there.

Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia

The schools in Fairfax are typically very good and usually Fairfax, Montgomery, Calvert (MD), and Howard Counties (MD) are near the top for the region.

On top of that, as far as your husband commuting to National Airport, depending on when he goes, it may be advantageous to be the VA side as opposed to all the way up in MD to travel there. If he went during morning rush hour, for example, it would be a difficult and unpredictable commute. He would likely have to take the GW Parkway which would require going through DC and he would still have to get off and fight traffic through Crystal City, since the GW Parkway does not give direct access to the airport.

The good news also is that the Fairfax/Annandale area is in your budget, and probably gives you more options as opposed to Potomac or a place like Arlington which are both insanely expensive. And those areas are close enough to the beltway that optimally you can get to Bethesda in 20 minutes (of course depending on traffic).

Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 AM

490 posts, read 924,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahopeful View Post
Hi, I'd love some insight into the different suburbs. We will be moving to the DC area in a year for a job. My husband will be commuting into DC at MOST one day a week and will be traveling out of national airport the rest of the week.
We have 3 kids who will be going into 3rd, 5th, and still in preschool when we make the move. Public school quality is VERY very important to us. Please don't suggest private schools or moving to an area with schools rated less than "8" on great schools- not going to happen.

We currently live in a "shangri-la" type of place (small affluent college town in a rural part of New England) that I know we will not be able to replicate but the things I love most about living here are the friendly people who are involved in the community, very safe feeling, lots of community offerings such as sports for kids, library activities, dance studios/music lessons, etc.

Also, we are Jewish and while not strictly observant, I do not want my children to be the only Jewish children in their classes and we need to be within a reasonable drive of a reform synagogue for religious education which is ongoing for many years to come for our family.

We want to live in a neighborhood with lots of families and we don't need a ton of privacy with lots of land to take care of. I'd rather my kids had other friends houses they could walk to down the street than an acre in the middle of nowhere . I would say we are looking in the neighborhood of 800K and we must have 4 bedrooms. We would be willing to do cosmetic upgrades (new kitchen or bathroom) but then we would want to pay more like $750K.

We have family in Bethesda so that is a logical place to look but I've also been looking at Potomac and Silver Spring/Rockville on realtor.com....but not sure about Rockville/SS schools.

Would also consider looking on the VA side into Mclean because it is closer to the airport for my husband, but there is much less Jewish influence over there so not sure it would be ideal.

Would love your insight!
There are really good places in Rockville to look that offer good school district and great communities (Wooton, Richard Montgomery, and Winston Churchill). So before you decide to look across the river into Fairfax county here are links I feel you might like!!!!

Fallsgrove: Fallsgrove Homes for Sale - Fallsgrove, Rockville MD - Movoto

Crown Farms: Crown | Gaithersburg MD New Homes | Pulte Homes

Preserve at Rock Creek:
The Preserve at Rock Creek - New Homes Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland (MD) | Winchester Homes

Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 9,157 times
I'm moving to silver springs (a one bedroom apartment) about how much will it be for utilities a month?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 694,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catc View Post
I'm moving to silver springs (a one bedroom apartment) about how much will it be for utilities a month?
Depends on your useage....

Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM

49 posts, read 151,702 times
Thanks for all your input!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 9,079 times
Hi,

I recently was hired for a position in the capitol hill area of washington, dc. I know we won't be able to live in DC, but am wondering if Lusby, MD, is an option. I know the commute will be quite long, but are there any transportation options to DC in that area? (i won't be able to drive to work). If not, are there any other suggestions? We want to rent 2-3 bedrooms, at least 2 bathrooms, and need to keep our rent budget around 1650. that's why i'm looking so far out, because the housing seems to be less expensive.

However, we do want to make sure there are good schools, and limited crime, at least violent crime. (we have an 8-yo). We are also a lesbian couple. I don't know if that matters so far out of the city or not. Any advice?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,263 times
Default new job in landover

I recently got a job in Landover but I'm not familier with the area. I'm hearing that it may be a bad area to move to. I don't drive so I'm trying to find something near Marc train. My mom lives in Baltimore so I wanted something kind of in the middle so my commute wouldn't be so long. My mom is sick so I would need to be able to go check on her some days. My price range is no more than 900. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nae123 View Post
I recently got a job in Landover but I'm not familier with the area. I'm hearing that it may be a bad area to move to. I don't drive so I'm trying to find something near Marc train. My mom lives in Baltimore so I wanted something kind of in the middle so my commute wouldn't be so long. My mom is sick so I would need to be able to go check on her some days. My price range is no more than 900. Any advice would be appreciated.
With that price you have to either be open to having a roommate or perhaps start looking for something close to Baltimore. I honestly don't know the prices in Baltimore, but close to DC, it would impossible to get a decent place on your own at that price.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 AM

15 posts, read 67,697 times
How is the rush hour commute from Montgomery Village to Dupont during rush hour? Is there a lot of traffic getting to the Shady Grove metro? How about living in Gaithersburg up 355 or along Midcounty Hwy? Is that substantially better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland