Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

If you are considering a move to the MD suburbs of DC, please ask your questions here. Thanks! Forum regulars, please post useful links about areas if you have them. This includes links on crime, apartments, neighborhoods, etc. This should cut down on answering questions over and over about certain areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 37,658 times
MY questions:

1. I have M.S degree ( B.S in CS and M.S in Information Systems), and I work for a big corporate in ATlanta area in IT field ( Data Architect/Analysis/Integration). Thus, is it easy to find a similar job in DC area ?
2. We will look for a single house range from 500-600$ in a good town ( good public or private schools)
3. My wife is currently working at CDC in Atlanta and she will look to transfer to CDC office in DC or looking a position in FDA or NIH.

REgards,

Paul

Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
1. Yes.
2. Doable.
3. Only her employer can determine if that is possible to do.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGA View Post
MY questions:

1. I have M.S degree ( B.S in CS and M.S in Information Systems), and I work for a big corporate in ATlanta area in IT field ( Data Architect/Analysis/Integration). Thus, is it easy to find a similar job in DC area ?
2. We will look for a single house range from 500-600$ in a good town ( good public or private schools)
3. My wife is currently working at CDC in Atlanta and she will look to transfer to CDC office in DC or looking a position in FDA or NIH.

REgards,

Paul
The IT market in the DC area is amazing. You will not find a shortage of jobs. I have had many Computer Science classmates from college who have started off in other areas and ended up moving to the area. I will warn you though, a lot of those jobs are in the Reston/Tysons Corner area, so if you stay in MD, you may have to commute to have some options.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM

50 posts, read 259,963 times
Default Working at NOAA Silver Spring - where should we live?

I'm taking a job at NOAA in silver spring, we're trying to figure out where to live. I'd like a reasonable commute (<1 hr) as I have a toddler and want to spend time with him in the evenings. We're looking for a 2BR in the range of $1400-1800.

We'd like to be outside the city, ideally somewhere that's walkable, has green space, and is not too over-developed. We don't really want to live amid sprawl. W
e're crunchy but don't need to live around other liberal people and we're not averse to living in a racially diverse community (though safety is a must... I've lived in dicey areas in the past, but now with the kid, those days are over if I can help it).

We've heard Takoma Park is great but based on our searches it seems out of our price range for anything decent, so I'm wondering:

Are there are parts of Silver Spring that are more walkable -- safe, less highrises, more trees etc?

If we're not in Takoma Park or Silver Spring, we're thinking it would be good to be on the MARC line that stops in silver spring - the Brunswick line. I'd rather be the train for 45 minutes than stuck in my car. So we're thinking about Germantown or Gaithersburg (since Rockville seems out of our range).

What are the differences between
Germantown and Gaithersburg in terms of character - green space, walkability, sprawl? Anything to recommend one over the other? On the map it looks like G'town has quite a bit of green space, the lake, and is close to very rural areas which would be great for us. Are MARC schedule times reliable? i.e. if it says it takes 45 minutes from G'town to SS, is that to be believed?

Thanks in advance,

Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hda4 View Post
Are there are parts of Silver Spring that are more walkable -- safe, less highrises, more trees etc?
If you are willing to do yard maintenance, I'd suggest looking for a house in the Four Corners area. For example, on hotpads, there is a 2-bedroom colonial in the 106xx block of Lorain Avenue for $1795/month. It is certainly going to be safer and cleaner than any apartment. It is somewhat walkable area-- less than a mile to a Trader Joe's or Safeway, a couple restaurants and the Colesville Road busline.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I'm taking a job at NOAA in silver spring, we're trying to figure out where to live. I'd like a reasonable commute (<1 hr) as I have a toddler and want to spend time with him in the evenings. We're looking for a 2BR in the range of $1400-1800.

You should be able to find something in Silver Spring at that range but it may not be easy. Will you need to get child care? That is an important consideration no matter where you live at in the area.

Quote:
We'd like to be outside the city, ideally somewhere that's walkable, has green space, and is not too over-developed. We don't really want to live amid sprawl. W
Quote:
e're crunchy but don't need to live around other liberal people and we're not averse to living in a racially diverse community (though safety is a must... I've lived in dicey areas in the past, but now with the kid, those days are over if I can help it).

If you don't need to live around other liberal people, assuming that is your preference, than Maryland is not going to be a great place for you, especially Montgomery County.

There are parts of Silver Spring that are diverse, less developed, but you may be sacrificing a hellacious commute by moving further away from the NOAA building. Silver Spring has a lot of traffic going towards the downtown area in the morning. Unless you are okay with a longer commute, living closer maybe better.

You aren't going to avoid sprawl in the DC region. Period.

Quote:
We've heard Takoma Park is great but based on our searches it seems out of our price range for anything decent, so I'm wondering:

If we're not in Takoma Park or Silver Spring, we're thinking it would be good to be on the MARC line that stops in silver spring - the Brunswick line. I'd rather be the train for 45 minutes than stuck in my car. So we're thinking about Germantown or Gaithersburg (since Rockville seems out of our range).
Quote:

Takoma Park might be your best option outside of living in Silver Spring. The good news is there is a metro station that will take you directly to Silver Spring. It is not as built up as Silver Spring.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 PM

34 posts, read 155,664 times
Question Retiring from Fairfax Station to Fort Washingon

My father is retired and wants to relocate to Maryland for a lower cost of living. So far he has been browsing real estate in the Fort Washington area. Are there other neighborhoods to consider?

1) Since he has friends and family in Fairfax, he wants convenient access to Beltway.

2) Public schools are unimportant to him because he has no school-aged children.

3) He is in excellent health and does not worry about access to hospitals.

4) He speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Vietnamese.

5) He likes nature and prefer a suburban atmosphere.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyung View Post
My father is retired and wants to relocate to Maryland for a lower cost of living. So far he has been browsing real estate in the Fort Washington area. Are there other neighborhoods to consider?

1) Since he has friends and family in Fairfax, he wants convenient access to Beltway.

2) Public schools are unimportant to him because he has no school-aged children.

3) He is in excellent health and does not worry about access to hospitals.

4) He speaks English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Vietnamese.

5) He likes nature and prefer a suburban atmosphere.
Depends on his budget.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM

34 posts, read 155,664 times
Cool Relocating Fairfax Station to Fort Washington

My father would like to spend less than $500K on his house for his retirement. He currently owns a house on 7 acres of land in Fairfax Station, where the Red Cross originated during the American Civil War.

Fort Washington lacks Asian supermarkets, and the National Harbor and Tanger do not appear to fill this void. Aside from a small Filipino population, Fort Washington seems to draw very few Asians. Which areas of DC Maryland houses most Asian Indians and East Asians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland