Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Ummmmmm. No thank you. This is a waste of money for a lot of reasons.

1. RT.1 development is already in the planning and design phases to help alleviate some of the congestion.
2. What the hell is the Purple Line for?
3. So, the UMD Golf Course is going to disappear? After it attracted two PGA golf tournaments and a multimillion dollar refurbish?
4. Who needs a highway to UMD campus? Isn't there a current campaign to get more of the staff to live in town? Wouldn't that be better than building a road that would most certainly cut through protected forest lands to the north of 193.
5. We don't need more roads, we need more transit options.

Tonight’s Special Meeting at NCPCA: ‘Spooky House’, ‘Beautify Hollywood’ and Rt1 Bypass on UMd’s Golf Course | KabirCares.org

Quote:
NCPCA will also discuss a new development involving Route 1 bypass on the UMd’s golf course. A ‘notable alumnus’ is proposing to construct a new highway from I-95 to the Univ. of Md. to support a major development on 60+ acres of the U.M. Golf Course. Apparently, the proposal has been discussed at high levels, but no decision has been made at the University level. It has been the position of NCPCA to oppose construction of a new bypass highway, and to support funding for reconstruction of US 1 instead. Representatives of 17 civic associations met 2 days ago to discussed this issue, and the overwhelming sense is that this concept should be vigorously opposed.

How do you get from point A to point B without taking out the UMD HQ or federal property before even reaching the golf course?

Attached Thumbnails
RT. 1 Bypass Through UMD Golf Course?-bypass.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 PM

Some updated news on the proposal:

Quote:
Preliminary plans include: a Big Box Store, a Hotel, 1,000 residential units, and a changing of the entrance to the University of Maryland from US Route #1 to Adelphi Road/University Boulevard 193. Initial plans would include use of the PEPCO right-of-way that runs just north of the University of Maryland Golf Course, for a new road to the beltway and as an entrance into the university.
The 17 civic associations that saw the proposal had some very valid issues:

Quote:
a. Development at this site will take away from the much more important priority of redeveloping and revitalizing the existing Route #1 corridor, or Metro Stations at Prince George’s Plaza and College Park, and existing areas that need attention.
b. The University Golf Course is a critical green space, recreational amenity, and wildlife habitat. It has been designated as a Certified Audubon Sanctuary. Losing valuable green space for development that should go to sites that are currently either blighted, underutilized or at Metro Stations, would be a terrible trade-off.
c. A road connection through this green space to I95/495 will run counter to the goal of having University faculty and staff living in the community; encouraging employees to live farther out. Developing this road and changing the entrance to the University would turn the "front door” from Prince George’s County.
I agree with the first issue. I would like to see University BLVD (Langley Park) redeveloped before taking away a perfectly fine golf course. There is plenty development opportunity along where the Purple Line will travel on Univ. Blvd. And the bypass is just too insane. It would be a huge financial burden on the county. More roads is not what we need in an area that is about to get a light-rail line that will run adjacent to the proposed development. This assumes that a majority of UMD personnel and students come from I95 and 495. Kill the road and encourage more students and faculty to live locally. Then there would be be no need for a bypass.

A big box store? What on earth would go there? Wal-Mart? I'd tie my self to a tree before that would happen. We already have too many Targets and Costcos. A grocery store would be awesome as there are no traditional grocery stores west of campus clear up University BLVD until you hit Safeway in Moco.

College Heights Estates / College Heights Estates, MD 20782

Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM

117 posts, read 234,285 times
I am assuming the highway will also cut through the USDA farms north of the golf course?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 AM

137 posts, read 277,546 times
Whatever happens, Route 1 needs something done. Commuting to UMD is a miserable experience. I did it for 4 years. One of the reasons I wouldn't go back to that school or recommend anyone going there is because of the absolutely cluster "f" that area is.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 AM

117 posts, read 234,285 times
I hated going to UMD so much I decided to take clases at Shady Grove. When I was in college, I lived in Silver Spring, but would rather drive to Shady Grove than collage park becuase traffic was so bad.... Don't even get me started on parking.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Awful awful idea.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
There already is a highway - 201 to the Paint Branch Parkway. All that is needed is to improve Rt. 1.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
Exiting the Beltway at Kenilworth Avenue and then taking Paint Branch Parkway or Greenbelt Road to the campus is a much longer drive than exiting the Beltway at Route 1.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM

I'd love to see how they propose to convert the golf course, which breaks up the monotony of the area and adds a nice feel, into a mixed-use project with yet another hotel, a big box retailer (grocer please), and apartments and homes. I'd love to see those renderings. Can't argue much about it not being transit friendly being so close to the proposed West Campus Purple Line stop.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Exiting the Beltway at Kenilworth Avenue and then taking Paint Branch Parkway or Greenbelt Road to the campus is a much longer drive than exiting the Beltway at Route 1.
It's not that much longer, but even if it was, it's much faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland